• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Hayden Retires - Tribute Thread ***Breaking News***

howardj

International Coach
Developed a genuine dislike for Hayden in the 2nd half of his career - he became a garden variety jerk at one stage. Nevertheless, I like to remember him as the guy he was when he was battling to get into the team during the 1990's - humble, optimistic and a real top bloke. He really was inspirational in that period.

Sort of like John Howard - liked them as battlers, but not in the 2nd half of their careers when success went to their heads.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Great Player and I greatly enjoyed his success in India. One of the greatest Aussie openers IMO, Greatest opener of his generation. Sad to see the guy go this way and pisses me off to see the ill treatment the guy got from media and CA after doing so much for his team and country.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad to see him go, but ya have to retire sometime. Stopped the selectors making a tough decision ala Ian Healy & Mark Waugh. End of a excellent career.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It was 180-odd, wasn't it?
I loved, rather perversely, how some of us Kiwis thought our side was being devious and trying to keep him in the team because he was utter ****, by "feeding" him that hundy. Then he came out and blew us apart at Hamilton. There goes that theory...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Retires with the highest test and ODI score for his country. Something that has never been done (at least for Australia) before, and will be hard pressed to be done again.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't like the guy at all, but he was certainly been instrumental in their dominance this decade and won many games from them.

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
Great career by a quality player. Shame all his good luck ran out. He had to retire though. Thanks haydos for some meroable innings.

pup11

International Coach
Gutted to hear this!!

Him walking away leaves a hug void in the Australian side, and people might criticised him all they wanted in the last six months, but when he is not going to be there, his absence is clearly going to be felt.

I loved Matty Hayden as the whole package, he was a dominating batsman, he was a fighter to the core and a champion to the core, would sorely miss his presence in the Australian team, thanks for all those memories Haydos, you will be missed.....

Hoggy31

International Captain
Surely these kids don't ask to be involved in press conferences.

"wat u fav memmary of daddy?"
"wah"
"LOL!, so cute and innocent"

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great player... All time great opener and I get the feeling some people will only realize his value when he is gone.. Seemed to try too hard to be bit of an arrogant dick in interviews sometimes, but at other times, he came across as a genuinely nice and likeable bloke. Got the feeling he is like Sreesanth in that he tries to be someone he is not at times... But no one can question his talent and achievements..

I will forever remember him reverse sweeping a 130 K delivery from Shaun Pollock at Chennai in the IPL... And as others have said, possibly good news for CSK. :)

R_D

International Debutant
Thnx for the bitter memories....... hated watching him bat against India, it looked like he was always going to get a century doesn't matter which format it was.