• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matt Prior as a Gloveman

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Back on topic...

a ten-year-old kid at the MCC Spirit of Cricket Challenge in Exeter said:
Prior is a good batsmen but his keeping needs to be more like Jones'.
People are getting nostalgic for Geraint. That cannot possibly be good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's equally fascinating that Jones came 2nd (after Prior) in viewers-votes in some sort of unscientific Sky poll for who-should-tour-this-winter.

Me, I'd have Foster as next reserve, I don't ever want Jones anywhere near Test cricket again, however long I backed him for. His batting has just gone to pieces. His wicketkeeping was perfectly fine for his last year or so, but as we all know - that's not enough, you have to score runs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's equally fascinating that Jones came 2nd (after Prior) in viewers-votes in some sort of unscientific Sky poll for who-should-tour-this-winter.

Me, I'd have Foster as next reserve, I don't ever want Jones anywhere near Test cricket again, however long I backed him for. His batting has just gone to pieces. His wicketkeeping was perfectly fine for his last year or so, but as we all know - that's not enough, you have to score runs.
Nah, the poll was for who should be the reserve wicket-keeper - they took it as a given Prior would be there. First was Chris Read, overwhelmingly, with Jones in second.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
0rly?

The amount of Read(Test)-love has always been far more alarming than the Jones-love, though.

Me, I just want to see the both of them forgotten about completely where Tests are concerned (and Jones in ODIs too). And maybe Prior too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've never played Cricket, so sometimes I get lost when it gets technical on here
It's not that surprising, surely? I've never shagged Angelina Jolie, but still enjoy watching her on the telly.

Back on topic...

People are getting nostalgic for Geraint. That cannot possibly be good.
TBF to Geraint (not advocating a return at all, btw) his keeping had improved at roughly the same rate as his batting had regressed.

Pothas, anyone....? :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not that surprising, surely? I've never shagged Angelina Jolie, but still enjoy watching her on the telly.
I was more surprised Martyn has such self-professed cluelessness at technical aspects as I've generally thought of him as one of the most clued-up posters going around.

Plenty of knowledgeable posters have never played a real game of cricket or hadn't for much of their lives.
Pothas, anyone....? :unsure:
Time come and gone IMO. If he was going to be in, it had to be at the start of this summer. He'll be 34 next summer and I really don't like people making debuts at that sort of age.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was more surprised Martyn has such self-professed cluelessness at technical aspects as I've generally thought of him as one of the most clued-up posters going around.

Plenty of knowledgeable posters have never played a real game of cricket or hadn't for much of their lives.

Time come and gone IMO. If he was going to be in, it had to be at the start of this summer. He'll be 34 next summer and I really don't like people making debuts at that sort of age.
LOL...well I guess it's just the terminology from time to time rather than the game in itself. Plus wicketkeeping, I know nothing about it, as opposed to batting and bowling, which i read up on regularly, aside from the viewing pleasure.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Up until this test I didnt think his keeping was that bad, sure it needs work but it will get better.
And he hasnt done much with the bat this series but to throw him away allready??? I mean give the poor guy a chance:-O
The other thing is England havent had a settled line-up since the 2005 Ashes. I really think that is hurting them, and going back to the English keeper merry-go-round is not going to help.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Never rated him as a keeper, i remember people saying a while back he was slightly better then Jones, but slightly worse then Jones with the bat. Kind of your Mr Inbetween, decent batsmen, decent keeper. He had a good series with the bat against West Indies, but better bowling attack he will struggle and probably will get dropped sooner or later. His keeping is probably good enough for Test level these days. But thats probably a poor sign of the poor level required for keepers these days.

It is a tough call for England, they need a keeper that can bat, if they want to play Flintoff at No 6 long term. But really i don't think Prior, Jones, Foster, Read or Davies are good enough with the bat to fill the No 7 role to the level required long term. Foster deserves another chance however IMO. I don't think his much better with the bat personally then Read, but his keeping is better then Prior or Jones. Really a no win situation either way, might as well just ride it out or start playing Flintoff at 7 and play the extra batsmen.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Never rated him as a keeper, i remember people saying a while back he was slightly better then Jones, but slightly worse then Jones with the bat. Kind of your Mr Inbetween, decent batsmen, decent keeper. He had a good series with the bat against West Indies, but better bowling attack he will struggle and probably will get dropped sooner or later. His keeping is probably good enough for Test level these days. But thats probably a poor sign of the poor level required for keepers these days.

It is a tough call for England, they need a keeper that can bat, if they want to play Flintoff at No 6 long term. But really i don't think Prior, Jones, Foster, Read or Davies are good enough with the bat to fill the No 7 role to the level required long term. Foster deserves another chance however IMO. I don't think his much better with the bat personally then Read, but his keeping is better then Prior or Jones. Really a no win situation either way, might as well just ride it out or start playing Flintoff at 7 and play the extra batsmen.
what abt Nixon ??I feel we shud hav picked him .. 4 d Tests against Windies,after a real flamboyant show in d World Cup...

nottypilgrim

Cricket Spectator
As a Notts member I've seen Read all summer and he's been immaculate behind the stumps and generally his batting appears to have come on too. For me he's the best 'keeper in the country and it'll be a scandal if he's not on the plane to NZ and Sri Lanka this winter.

Prior looked fine against a weak Windies side but his mediocrity has been exposed for all to see this last three weeks.The sooner Moores sends him back to Sussex the better.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
As a Notts member I've seen Read all summer and he's been immaculate behind the stumps and generally his batting appears to have come on too. For me he's the best 'keeper in the country and it'll be a scandal if he's not on the plane to NZ and Sri Lanka this winter.

Prior looked fine against a weak Windies side but his mediocrity has been exposed for all to see this last three weeks.The sooner Moores sends him back to Sussex the better.
I think Read is the best Solution. I've given up on a English Keeper who can bat. There isn't anyone who can do both. So I'm all for either read , or perhaps Foster.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
what abt Nixon ??I feel we shud hav picked him .. 4 d Tests against Windies,after a real flamboyant show in d World Cup...
Nixon was picked purely as a short term option and did his role. I don't think he was ever considered as a realistic Test option.
I certainly hope he wasn't... I'm not a fan of 36-year-old Test debutants TBH.

If an old(ish)ie was going to be picked it'd have only made sense to go for Pothas really - a superior batsman and no reports suggesting an inadaquete 'keeper.

Otherwise, Foster would have been my pick ahead of Prior ITFP. And still would be should Prior be given the flick any time soon.