• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matches called off because of Typhoon Hagibis

Howe_zat

Audio File
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49995604

England v France and New Zealand v Italy are cancelled. Maybe more.

I’m pretty mad tbh. I understand that playing a game when there are lives at risk would be nonsense. But lots of valid options have been binned (moving the game, delaying the game, playing behind closed doors in another city) and they’ve skipped straight to cancelled.

These are matches which decide the quarter finals. It just sucks. I’ve been more into this tournament than anything else right now and I suddenly don’t want to hear about it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49995604

England v France and New Zealand v Italy are cancelled. Maybe more.

I’m pretty mad tbh. I understand that playing a game when there are lives at risk would be nonsense. But lots of valid options have been binned (moving the game, delaying the game, playing behind closed doors in another city) and they’ve skipped straight to cancelled.

These are matches which decide the quarter finals. It just sucks. I’ve been more into this tournament than anything else right now and I suddenly don’t want to hear about it.
You would think that they could organise an alternative, day or venue. Seems a like a decision to not create more work for somebody than for the good of the game.

ripper868

International Coach
I worked at the previous tournament in 2015, and can confirm it is a huge logistical effort to put these things on. I can also not believe that there is no way to get the teams affected to the unaffected cities playing on saturday and turn the fixtures into double headers.

However, without being on the inside I can only accept that all efforts were made and there is indeed absolutely no way forward to put these matches on safely. It's often not as simple as 'move the teams to another city'. Jump on any hotel site right now and try to find accommodation, it's near impossible, yet alone accommodation for 62 players, 30 support staff, 30 RWC delivery staff.

It sucks, and with 48 hours to go until Saturday it really sucks. But I guess we gotta trust the weather man on this one.

Of course, with this being a weather thing, Saturday will end up being a calm, slightly overcast 23 degrees in perfect conditions.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England are flying to Miyazaki for the weekend.

Doesn't sound like changes of accommodation are impossible, really.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Italians must be spewing.

Obviously their chances against NZ were minimal, but it's their world cup over now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As long as it's consistent and no games get rescheduled then I guess it's fair. If they move other games then questions should be asked.

As I post this I note that the Ireland game being cancelled coupled with a Scotland win over Japan would send them home...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently playing the games at an indoor venue behind closed doors was a possibility, but was discouraged by the Broadcasters and other stakeholders - and I kinda get it, it'd be weird having those games played in empty stadiums - though I'm also a bit surprised that the idea of the games not being played at all was considered better - I mean, it's not like the English, French and NZ audiences are going to not watch.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a farce. Should at least just award points based on who hit more boundaries.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Typhoon should be clear by Sunday night, the Japan-Scotland game will be fine I think. Ireland-Samoa probably not.

Edit: Unless the stadium gets blown apart, which is a non-zero possibility.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently playing the games at an indoor venue behind closed doors was a possibility, but was discouraged by the Broadcasters and other stakeholders - and I kinda get it, it'd be weird having those games played in empty stadiums - though I'm also a bit surprised that the idea of the games not being played at all was considered better - I mean, it's not like the English, French and NZ audiences are going to not watch.
the Minoru Suzuki vs Sanshiro Takagi empty arena match was a fine viewing experience. those broadcasters are kidding themselves