• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe vs Virender Sehwag

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wait I thought we hadn’t settled Sanga vs Sehwag yet. Shouldn’t we have a Sanga vs Crowe thread too?

anil1405

International Captain
I, for one, find it difficult to compare an opener with a middle order batter. Two totally different roles they had to play for their respective teams.

Crowe. Sehwag couldn't even average 50 while playing in the easiest time for batting in history.
So if Sehwag averaged 0.7 more you would've picked him or considered him an ATG instead of say an ATVG?

Your choice of words and your absurd reasoning is why more and more people here are starting to find you annoying.

You could've said Crowe mastered playing reverse swing like no one else could, faced quality bowlers in a relatively tougher era for batting and was the mainstay of his side etc.

subshakerz

International Coach
I, for one, find it difficult to compare an opener with a middle order batter. Two totally different roles they had to play for their respective teams.

So if Sehwag averaged 0.7 more you would've picked him or considered him an ATG instead of say an ATVG?

Your choice of words and your absurd reasoning is why more and more people here are starting to find you annoying.

You could've said Crowe mastered playing reverse swing like no one else could, faced quality bowlers in a relatively tougher era for batting and was the mainstay of his side etc.
Lol my post was half serious.

Certain posters have always found me annoying. I'm cool with that.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you polled their respective contemporaries, Crowe would be a long way ahead.

Classic example of when overall stats and averages can be misleading. I can't totally understand a young fan today assuming Sehwag > Crowe looking at their records out of context.

The way Crowe dominated the 1986/87 Windies attack when they were at the peak of their powers including the goat Malcolm Marshall & having Wasim and Waqar effectively labelling him one of the best they ever bowled to (The best in Akram's case) says it all really.

OverratedSanity

Crowe was probably the best batsman in the world for a good stretch in the late 80s/early 90s, so I'd say he's probably better.

Sehwag though is such a difficult cricketer to compare anyone to. Batted like no one else ever has in history, and could do unimaginably awesome things when conditions were to his liking. He had glaring flaws of course, but the fact that he was so unique makes it impossible to actually evaluate him by normal parameters we use for batsmen.

ashley bach

International Captain
Crowe faced some serious attacks when he was young, starting off at the age of 19 against an attack headed by Lillee.
His 188 in the Caribbean was a master class against Marshall/Garner/Holding. and a memorable thing that sticks in my mind was the way he was able
to hook/pull Marshall when the bouncer was produced. For me he was better than his average of 45 suggests.
Sehwag was a master in his own right, and was always enjoyable to watch. But yeah it's certainly very difficult to make comparisons between players
who were so different and who each had separate roles to play.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I've done a complete 180 on Crowe. Used to thing he was the bees knees, but he has a very poor record in India, Sri Lanka ( and South Africa ), so for me he clearly does have some weakness against spin. Sehwag actually never had such a big weakness in any country barring New Zealand, despite however much **** people talk about his technique. He's also a revolutionary opening Test batsman, who brought the right aggression that was needed for his Indian side. Took it to Pakistan on almost every occasion too. :(

Zinzan

I've done a complete 180 on Crowe. Used to thing he was the bees knees, but he has a very poor record in India, Sri Lanka ( and South Africa ), so for me he clearly does have some weakness against spin. Sehwag actually never had such a big weakness in any country barring New Zealand, despite however much **** people talk about his technique. He's also a revolutionary opening Test batsman, who brought the right aggression that was needed for his Indian side. Took it to Pakistan on almost every occasion too. :(
I used to like you.

Flem274*

123/5
Two completely different roles.

There will be/have been another Crowe before another Sehwag though, so to me that makes Sehwag more valuable. Tbh if Sehwag were kiwi we'd bat him at #5 in the all time side at home and open with him in Asia.

shortpitched713

International Captain
If you polled their respective contemporaries, Crowe would be a long way ahead.

Classic example of when overall stats and averages can be misleading. I can't totally understand a young fan today assuming Sehwag > Crowe looking at their records out of context.

The way Crowe dominated the 1986/87 Windies attack when they were at the peak of their powers including the goat Malcolm Marshall & having Wasim and Waqar effectively labelling him one of the best they ever bowled to (The best in Akram's case) says it all really.
If being dominant in the eyes of Pakistani bowlers is the criterion, I doubt there's anyone with a better claim than Sehwag.

BazBall21

International Regular
Crowe’s tours on turning tracks didn’t come at convenient times.
First one he was very young and got ill.
Second one he could have done better but there were concerns about getting shot dead in the NZ camp due to extreme political tension in Sri Lanka at the time (there had been a terrorist attack I think just before the first Test) which Crowe as Captain had to deal with and that was around the time when his knee injury became a serious problem and he still made a good century.
Third one was his last ever Test series when injury effectively ruined him.

Similar can be said for the South Africa tour. Went there when his knee had given up on him.

I get that to some extent you can only judge on output, but having watched a lot of footage of him bat and isolating his 1985-1994 numbers, he is clearly better than his final record.

trundler

Tend to default to Crowe in ATVG comparisons because he mastered reverse swing before anyone else and was the world's leading batsman for a fair period.