• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall vs Hadlee (overall cricketers)

Marshall vs Hadlee

• Total voters

kyear2

International Coach
@kyear2 its your time man
It's close and if it would be any bowler it would be Hadlee.

Hadlee is definitely in the top tier, but I still think Marshall was the better bowler and if I could only choose one for any team I would chose the guy I would back to destroy any team in an conditions. Think with his skill set, pace and ability to read batsmen's weaknesses, he's the one I want.

Plus, Maco was no mug with the bat.

So to keep this short, the only players in the history of the game I'm taking over Maco is Bradman and Sobers and it's close.

Yes Hadlee's batting was better, but how much better and how impactful? Victories?

kyear2

International Coach
Anyone not voting Hadlee should explain.
In another post u spike about just looking at numbers with regards to Sutcliffe etc, this is the same.

We like to look at combined numbers whether it adds value or not.

This is why I rate some secondary skills over others, even if it doesn't look as flashy on a spread sheet.

Plus you yourself is always saying that Maco is the only bowler really separates himself from the others. I could find the post for you.

Coronis

International Coach
It's close and if it would be any bowler it would be Hadlee.

Hadlee is definitely in the top tier, but I still think Marshall was the better bowler and if I could only choose one for any team I would chose the guy I would back to destroy any team in an conditions. Think with his skill set, pace and ability to read batsmen's weaknesses, he's the one I want.

Plus, Maco was no mug with the bat.

So to keep this short, the only players in the history of the game I'm taking over Maco is Bradman and Sobers and it's close.

Yes Hadlee's batting was better, but how much better and how impactful? Victories?
Well I know in 84 vs England he took 8 wickets, but he scored a 99 in the first innings - top scoring for his team and outscoring both of England’s innings.

subshakerz

International Coach
In another post u spike about just looking at numbers with regards to Sutcliffe etc, this is the same.

We like to look at combined numbers whether it adds value or not.

This is why I rate some secondary skills over others, even if it doesn't look as flashy on a spread sheet.

Plus you yourself is always saying that Maco is the only bowler really separates himself from the others. I could find the post for you.
Being clearly best doesn't make you streets ahead.

However, for some strange reason I totally forgot about Marshalls own batting skills. It does make him have a good case versus Hadlee. In fact, switching my vote.

kyear2

International Coach
Well I know in 84 vs England he took 8 wickets, but he scored a 99 in the first innings - top scoring for his team and outscoring both of England’s innings.
I never claimed he couldn't bat, I'm saying it wasn't enough for me to chose him.over Maco who I know we both believe was the greatest bowler ever.

kyear2

International Coach
Being clearly best doesn't make you streets ahead.

However, for some strange reason I totally forgot about Marshalls own batting skills. It does make him have a good case versus Hadlee. In fact, switching my vote.
Yes, McGrath vs Hadlee is way tougher to justify because one was a pure rabbit, that isn't the case here.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes, McGrath vs Hadlee is way tougher to justify because one was a pure rabbit, that isn't the case here.
I have Marshall ahead of Hadlee by a slight but notable bit as a bowler. I would take Marshalls extra bowling prowess over the marginal batting benefit.

Marshall vs Imran though is a case where the batting margin is significant enough to go in the other direction.

kyear2

International Coach
I have Marshall ahead of Hadlee by a slight but notable bit as a bowler. I would take Marshalls extra bowling prowess over the marginal batting benefit.

Marshall vs Imran though is a case where the batting margin is significant enough to go in the other direction.
And we will agree to disagree.