• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall spurns NZC contract

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think this is really bad for English county cricket... first Rudolph, now Marshall. It's supposed to be a breeding ground for talent that will fill our national team, and it's turning into 'easy money' for internationals who aren't bothered with representing their own country.
Not just easy money, but stats boosting as well. These overseas players usually go to England and dominate big time, especially some of the bigger name players. even Marshall did well last season, scored 10 centuries and had an average of around 60 I think.

Flem274*

123/5
Not just easy money, but stats boosting as well. These overseas players usually go to England and dominate big time, especially some of the bigger name players. even Marshall did well last season, scored 10 centuries and had an average of around 60 I think.
Weird player Marshall, anyone averaging 60 in County cricket would make at least a passable international don't you think? And where did he get this idea of throw downs only?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
But what good is stats-boosting if you're not aiming for national honours?

Perm

Weird player Marshall, anyone averaging 60 in County cricket would make at least a passable international don't you think? And where did he get this idea of throw downs only?
You'd think so, but he never really kicked on after that season and even struggled most of the time for Northern Districts IIRC. I have no idea why he preferred throw downs, I suppose it was something he could get away with because he was/is so naturally talented.

Flem274*

123/5
This is really damn fustrating, all our batsmen seem to want to get rich rather than play for their country. I'm certain that some proper net training sessions with Bond, Vettori and co. bowling to him would sort his form out. He scored 50 in the WC (ok against a minnow but it was surprising to see none the less). This sort of thing really annoys me especially when you see the Vincents and Sinclairs working their butts off just to get one game.

Fiery

Banned
Party at Heath's house tonight. Everyone's invited...

Except for that ****ing useless, **** for brains, talentless waste of ****ing space in what should be a talent filled middle order, professional fielding, curly haired wasterel, sputum filled, whoring what small talent he has piece of ****e.

Now, if only James will follow him into obscurity.

Those two are the most undeserving wankers ever to be in the New Zealand team.

Hamish can go to hell.

Oh... and Bracewell's a **** and he's not invited either.
haha Heath, it looks like you feel quite strongly about this...good on ya

Craig

World Traveller
Odds on Sinclair having the balls to tell NZC to **** themselves?
Would get a lot of respect.

Party at Heath's house tonight. Everyone's invited...

Except for that ****ing useless, **** for brains, talentless waste of ****ing space in what should be a talent filled middle order, professional fielding, curly haired wasterel, sputum filled, whoring what small talent he has piece of ****e.

Now, if only James will follow him into obscurity.

Those two are the most undeserving wankers ever to be in the New Zealand team.

Hamish can go to hell.

Oh... and Bracewell's a **** and he's not invited either.
Hey Richard this is good enough for the Saj? Either it is a quality rant. Do I suspect bitterness from Heath given that Hamish has had more Tests then Heath did?

Fiery

Banned
Probably the best thing that could have happened in Hamish Marshall's case. At least it takes the ball out of NZC's court to select him and maybe he'll go over there and make something of his game and come back a better player, worthy of a place in the side. It didn't do Glenn Turner's any harm to bypass international cricket for a while to better himself (obviously the comparison is not that parallel, but both were/are mainly motivated financially)...and maybe through sheer weight of runs he becomes a class player who demands selection

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, a lot of Hamish hate going on here (especially from Heath and Perm). I think its a real shame he's leaving, but I can kind of understand why. He's been on the outer for a long time now, so I can kind of understand the financial reasons behind it. $45,000 and almost zero match fees, or 50,000 pounds and bonuses from 30+ games a season. Not exactly a tough choice.

The truth is Marshall never really had the opportunity to grow into any position that he batted. Rather than drop him from the side for a while and allow him to get some form back in domestic cricket, he was tried in every batting position from 1-8. Similarly he was shunted from his preffered position as a number 3 in the test side to an opener, with poor results.

Marshall's been in shocking one day form both domestically and internationally for the past two years. The arena in which he has actually excelled during this time is first class cricket, where he has averaged roughly 60 both for Northern Districts and for Gloucestershire, at no. 3. Ideally, he should have been brought back into the test side at the start of last season, but Bracewell, in his infinite wisdom decided to return him to the one day side instead. Oh well...

Hamish was a good batsman who's played some great innings for New Zealand. I think a lot of people have transferred their loathing of Bracewell to Marshall, because he selected him so many times, but really that's a bit unfair.

Oh, and I think what he meant about playing in New Zealand again some time in the future, was that he'd like to come back and play for Northern Districts again some time.

HeathDavisSpeed

Wow, a lot of Hamish hate going on here (especially from Heath and Perm). I think its a real shame he's leaving, but I can kind of understand why. He's been on the outer for a long time now, so I can kind of understand the financial reasons blah, blah, blah.
Yes there's a load of hate for Hamish. He's had many more chances than his ability deserves and then he has the gall to throw that back in the face of the Kiwi nation. I can only presume that John Bracewell's gonna get the boot and Hamish has realised that his central contract will not actually get him a game. The guy's a waste of space and he's been treated sooooooo favourably by Bracewell. When he was in the worst form ever, Vincent gets dropped from opener and Marshall gets brought in to open and couldn't buy a run. I tell you, it certainly does piss me off that he got more caps than Heath. Heath would have given everything for another cap or two when Heath was injured in the mid-90s and then some ****er who's been served NZ caps on a plate throws them back in our face?? This guy annoys me MORE than Jesse Ryder for crying out loud. At least Jesse hasn't had an opportunity when he jumps ship. What is Marshall's reason? Take away his passport and he can play for Gloucestershire until the day he dies. I want people with BATTING skill in the middle order and I want people who want to play for New Zealand to be in our teams - not these ****ers who desert at the first sign of another Pound, Euro or Dollar by playing overseas.

Either it is a quality rant. Do I suspect bitterness from Heath given that Hamish has had more Tests then Heath did?
You bet your sweet ***** I'm bitter. ****ing **** of a wanker, Marshall.

Fiery

Banned
Yes there's a load of hate for Hamish. He's had many more chances than his ability deserves and then he has the gall to throw that back in the face of the Kiwi nation. I can only presume that John Bracewell's gonna get the boot and Hamish has realised that his central contract will not actually get him a game. The guy's a waste of space and he's been treated sooooooo favourably by Bracewell. When he was in the worst form ever, Vincent gets dropped from opener and Marshall gets brought in to open and couldn't buy a run. I tell you, it certainly does piss me off that he got more caps than Heath. Heath would have given everything for another cap or two when Heath was injured in the mid-90s and then some ****er who's been served NZ caps on a plate throws them back in our face?? This guy annoys me MORE than Jesse Ryder for crying out loud. At least Jesse hasn't had an opportunity when he jumps ship. What is Marshall's reason? Take away his passport and he can play for Gloucestershire until the day he dies. I want people with BATTING skill in the middle order and I want people who want to play for New Zealand to be in our teams - not these ****ers who desert at the first sign of another Pound, Euro or Dollar by playing overseas.

You bet your sweet ***** I'm bitter. ****ing **** of a wanker, Marshall.
haha, totally agree with the above Heath :thumbs_up

Perm

Wow, a lot of Hamish hate going on here (especially from Heath and Perm). I think its a real shame he's leaving, but I can kind of understand why. He's been on the outer for a long time now, so I can kind of understand the financial reasons behind it. $45,000 and almost zero match fees, or 50,000 pounds and bonuses from 30+ games a season. Not exactly a tough choice.

The truth is Marshall never really had the opportunity to grow into any position that he batted. Rather than drop him from the side for a while and allow him to get some form back in domestic cricket, he was tried in every batting position from 1-8. Similarly he was shunted from his preffered position as a number 3 in the test side to an opener, with poor results.

Marshall's been in shocking one day form both domestically and internationally for the past two years. The arena in which he has actually excelled during this time is first class cricket, where he has averaged roughly 60 both for Northern Districts and for Gloucestershire, at no. 3. Ideally, he should have been brought back into the test side at the start of last season, but Bracewell, in his infinite wisdom decided to return him to the one day side instead. Oh well...

Hamish was a good batsman who's played some great innings for New Zealand. I think a lot of people have transferred their loathing of Bracewell to Marshall, because he selected him so many times, but really that's a bit unfair.

Oh, and I think what he meant about playing in New Zealand again some time in the future, was that he'd like to come back and play for Northern Districts again some time.
Equally his attitude must take some of the blame. As you have mentioned he never really go to settle in his ideal position at #3 which is a shame for him, but many fine players have been able to adapt their game plan when asked to bat in a different position. Heck Lou Vincent was forced to open and he knuckled down and tried, never used it as an excuse for failure.

On occasion the selectors have baffled me, for example he wasn't selected to face Sri Lanka in our last Test series, a series in which he could have done fairly well in. Sometimes he has been asked to bat down the order and hasn't had great success, but over 2/3 of his ODI innings have been played in either the #3 or #4 position and yet he averages just 28 and 24 respectively.

Marshall has excelled for Gloucestershire, scoring over 1500 runs at an average of almost 60 in the First Class arena for them. After his intial stint in 2006 he came back to play for Northern Districts and continued to dominate in the State Championship. Unfortunately for him this domination has come almost exclusively in the longer form of the game, due to New Zealand's lack of Test match cricket then he was rarely able to display those talents at Test level.

His attitude must come into question though, even if the selectors have treated him poorly. The fact that he disliked having proper net sessions is a telling factor, he obviously doesn't want to put in the hard yards to get his technique correct and give himself more chance to score runs at a higher level. Marshall would rather just have throw downs for 15 minutes than to have an intense net session that could actually give him a challenge.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
.Take away his passport and he can play for Gloucestershire until the day he dies.
Actually he can't. Next season the number of overseas proffesionals that county teams can hire drop from 2 to 1, so he wouldn't be able to get a spot in the team.