• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Waugh complains of Queensland 'bias'

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/185967_AUS_20FEB2005.html

You ARE kidding, right?

A player from NSW is complaining about selection bias?!?! Man, that is rich, particularly since whilst Mark Waugh went through some form struggles in the 90's, guys like Darren Lehmann, Marty Love, Brad Hodge, Stuart Law, etc. were cooling their heels. Didn't complain about any bias then, did he? Why? Because he was a beneficiary. Funny that.

Oh and for the record, Mark, Allan Border was born in NSW and played at least his first season of Sheffield Shield cricket for them. Oopsie.

I still can't believe I've read this. I feel dumber for having gotten all the way through it.

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
I do agree that MacGill was not given a fair shot, and did perform for Australia. He is still getting pushed to the side for other guys.

telsor

U19 12th Man
The examples he cites are valid ( Hopes Vs White being the most questionable ), but hardly constitutes systemic bias.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not denying that there have been some strange selections of late but was the same allegation levelled at the selection panel (which was dominated by New South Welshmen at the time) when they picked Gavin Robertson on the tour to India in 1998? Nope.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
This article is quite dodgy, MacGill the second best spinner in the world? So he's better than Murali now?

)Swing(

Cricket Spectator
I had to give the noggin quite a scratching after that. Didn't quite make sense. Maybe he'd been drinking?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I think its funny. So now NSW and Queensland have had complaints about being favoured, whos next?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
haha. what do you mean? we've been whinging for the past 10 years. its just that no-one else cares. :D in two weeks, paul reiffell and damien fleming should have both played 100 tests each.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
mark waugh tells it like it is, doesn't seem to want to pull too many punches, doese he? he'd know andrew symonds pretty well, and says that his selection was "one of the worst decisions i'd seen for years". then says that hauritz "bowled as his figures suggested" in the mumbai test and after playing against james hopes, he "couldn't see him wearing australian colours". at least he's not afraid to say what he thinks, better than most cricket writers going around, pandering to the aussies all the time.

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
Top_Cat said:
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/185967_AUS_20FEB2005.html

You ARE kidding, right?

A player from NSW is complaining about selection bias?!?! Man, that is rich, particularly since whilst Mark Waugh went through some form struggles in the 90's, guys like Darren Lehmann, Marty Love, Brad Hodge, Stuart Law, etc. were cooling their heels. Didn't complain about any bias then, did he? Why? Because he was a beneficiary. Funny that.

Oh and for the record, Mark, Allan Border was born in NSW and played at least his first season of Sheffield Shield cricket for them. Oopsie.

I still can't believe I've read this. I feel dumber for having gotten all the way through it.
So your saying he is wrong? The fact that he is a New South Welshman has nothing to do with this. He does not share the same opinions as the Australian selectors

Slow Love™

International Captain
Waugh was prattling on a bit, and it has to be said that his comments were a bit funny when you consider that so much of the country perceives that there is a strong NSW bias in the selection panel (whether there is or not).

On Symonds, it was a 50/50 call. Symonds WAS in great form at the time, and there were many people interested in whether he could translate his one-day form to the test arena. However, the biggest person going in to bat for Symonds was Ponting, a Tasmanian. Katich was unlucky, but I can see why the selectors gave Symonds a go.

When it comes to MacGill, I think that Waugh's way off-base - yes, it was absolutely ridiculous that Hauritz (who IMO is garbage) was able to play in front of both White and MacGill. However, I don't think this came down to state bias as much as it did a general anti-MacGill sentiment which goes back quite a few years at both team level and on the part of the selectors. There's no doubt he's the second-best spinner in Australia, and should be treated as such. I suppose you could argue for variation, but I would only really run with that if whomever was bowled in front of MacGill was at least of somewhat comparable ability.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is what i wrote on the topic on another web site.

Well he is right on the three selections there, but it has to be remembered there have always be beneficiaries over the years (even from within the one state side):

Lee v Kasprowicz
Lee v Bichel
MacGill v Hauritz
Symonds v Katich
Clarke v Hodge
Clarke v Lehmann
Watson v Lehmann
Slater v Elliott

There's always selection battle and there's always going to be one winner and multiple losers. And every state has had their handful of lucky cricketers - some of them went on to make the most of their luck and have a great career, some did well from their limited chances but didn't get much of a run, but most were just duds as was suspected.

But i do think there should be a bit of a change in the selection panel. They are doing a great job but i think each state should get one representative.

As i said in another thread i reckon when picking touring squads it should be the 6 selectors (taking into account input from the coach and captain) to pick squads with the chairman of selectors (voted by the 6 selectors). When picking teams on the actual day of a game it should be done only by the captain, coach and chairman.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
haha. what do you mean? we've been whinging for the past 10 years. its just that no-one else cares. :D in two weeks, paul reiffell and damien fleming should have both played 100 tests each.
That's a lot of tests to play in two weeks! haha

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:

You ARE kidding, right?

Hmm... I'd not say he was far off the mark on Katich\Symonds... truly was one of the worst pieces of selection I've seen in my time... a guy has scored 202 for once out... and he misses the next 2 Tests for someone who's never played before.
On Hauritz\MacGill... well, MacGill's poor but to compare him to Hauritz is still a compliment to Hauritz.
On Hopes\White... can't really see much in it TBH... if either ever come close to making the grade in ODIs I'll eat my computer.
So he's got a bit of meaning but surely he must know what it's gonna look like for a NSWman to say stuff like this.
And as you point-out, Corey - he might have done well to remember AB's NSW roots.

biased indian

International Coach
Black Thunder said:
But i do think there should be a bit of a change in the selection panel. They are doing a great job but i think each state should get one representative.
If BCCI was to introduce this in India it would be a big Slection panel with 27+ states :) :)