• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Vermeulen. Still Crazy?

FRAZ

International Captain
The guy has a point .I respect his love for the game . How many chances are there that Shoaib and Asif are gonna do such a thing ?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
The guy has a point .I respect his love for the game . How many chances are there that Shoaib and Asif are gonna do such a thing ?
Haha wtf? He just burnt down a cricket academy

Slow Love™

International Captain
Whether he's actually done this or not (I really wouldn't know), he probably shouldn't have gone home to Zimbabwe.

Was he planning originally to relocate in England at all? If so, I guess his ban might have scuttled that idea, given he was looking to get back into international cricket.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just another big catastrophe in Zimbabwe cricket, it's pretty sad really.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
His fall from grace has been quite spectacular.

And Strange, even by cricket standards.

Also, those pictures are grousome.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Is there anything more embarrassing than getting hit in the head from a bouncer from IRFAN PATHAN?

I'd rather get hit by a bouncer from Warne.
Pathan may be slow by international standards, but a bouncer at 125 kph striking you on the skull would hurt like hell.
Mind you, Pathan would be express for the majority of us on CW and international players have better reflexes, eyesight and technique but not necessarily stronger skulls.
Most cricketers at any level would be injured. SS, you'd just fall and die. :p

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Vermeulen bailed out by Blignaut

Seems he did it. How a person can burn down major infrastructure and not spend a lengthy time in prison is beyond me. And the reason he did it is even more astounding.

Zvekare: Play for a local club to have your form assessed before you can be considered for selection for the upcoming tour of Bangladesh.
Vermeulen: I'm going to destroy Zimbabwe Cricket in two weeks. *Burns stuff*

Doesn't sound right at all.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
James90 said:
Vermeulen bailed out by Blignaut

Seems he did it. How a person can burn down major infrastructure and not spend a lengthy time in prison is beyond me. And the reason he did it is even more astounding.

Zvekare: Play for a local club to have your form assessed before you can be considered for selection for the upcoming tour of Bangladesh.
Vermeulen: I'm going to destroy Zimbabwe Cricket in two weeks. *Burns stuff*

Doesn't sound right at all.
Doesn't seem to fit at all.

However, guilty or not the answer to the question I originally posted in the thread title is certainly, Yes.

Craig

World Traveller
Slow Love™ said:
Whether he's actually done this or not (I really wouldn't know), he probably shouldn't have gone home to Zimbabwe.

Was he planning originally to relocate in England at all? If so, I guess his ban might have scuttled that idea, given he was looking to get back into international cricket.
Surprised he didn't go to South Africa actually.

I'm no expert and perhaps Goughy will tell me if I am wrong or not but there would be a franchise or two that would want him at least?

Chubb

International Regular
Obviously Mark is very ill. I feel very sorry for him and hope that he doesn't go to jail. He should go and live somewhere other than Zimbabwe, but I think a career in pro cricket isn't going to happen now. I'm worried he's going to do something to himself if he goes to prison in Zim.

Craig

World Traveller
Chubb said:
Obviously Mark is very ill. I feel very sorry for him and hope that he doesn't go to jail. He should go and live somewhere other than Zimbabwe, but I think a career in pro cricket isn't going to happen now. I'm worried he's going to do something to himself if he goes to prison in Zim.
So I presume you mean he might become suicidal?

Why did he go back in the first place?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Isn't the word that he came back wanting to get a guernsey in time for the WC, got told that it wasn't going to happen.

Maths after that?

Chubb

International Regular
Craig said:
So I presume you mean he might become suicidal?

Why did he go back in the first place?
Yes-conditions in Zim prisons are horrible, can you imagine what it might do a guy with depression already, knowing he's lost everything (he comes from a very wealthy family)?

He probably went back went back because he loves his country, and wanted to play international cricket again. To a certain extent because of his background he's shielded from the harshness of daily life there. But it's not the place for a guy with psychological issues at the moment.

Craig

World Traveller
He can always move to Australia, I'm sure plenty of club sides would want his services and work isn't too hard to find if he is willing to work hard.

Anyway it is one of the more tragic stories I have heard in recent times, I hope things work out for him as I have always been a fan.