• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankads

Do you think mankads are against the spirit of the game?

• Yes

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we can learn something about Mankads from when they typically occur. The majority of them seem to happen when a team is 9 down in a high stakes contest - we don't see a bowler casually run out the non-striker at 123/5 in a dead rubber JAMODI.

This shows it's a bit of a desperate final act that a match would struggle to continue normally from, not a totally normal part of the game.

All that said I've always considered backing up to be basically cheating. It'd be great if non-strikers just never left their crease until they saw the ball in front of them.
Good point, could also just be that those times in close games are when the batters are trying to gaining round by backing up early and hence leaving themselves open to mankading

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
There are two issues to discuss here.
The first is straightforward. The batter left the crease before the delivery was bowled and was run out within the laws of the game - regardless of any prior warning or lack thereof.
The second is the conflicting views of Deepti Sharma and Knight. The former says she warned Dean and spoke to the umpires of her intentions. Knight claims no warning was issued (not that it is a pre-requisite for such a dismissal). My question is, why did Deepti wait until she returned home before claiming she gave a warning? All this has done is stir a controversy that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I mean I feel like it happening in tense situations isn't really a problem. Part of cricket is having to deal with such situations and there's no real reason that this method is so much worse than say a flukey runout/stepping on the stumps/ball randomly bouncing into the stumps ending things that way.

The second is the conflicting views of and Knight. The former says she warned Dean and spoke to the umpires of her intentions. Knight claims no warning was issued (not that it is a pre-requisite for such a dismissal). My question is, why did wait until she returned home before claiming she gave a warning? All this has done is stir a controversy that shouldn't have existed in the first place.
Probably because she got questioned a lot more at home? I don't recall interviews with her happening at Lord's. It's not like she's obliged to tell everyone everything right away.

Spikey

I think we can learn something about Mankads from when they typically occur. The majority of them seem to happen when a team is 9 down in a high stakes contest - we don't see a bowler casually run out the non-striker at 123/5 in a dead rubber JAMODI.

This shows it's a bit of a desperate final act that a match would struggle to continue normally from, not a totally normal part of the game.

All that said I've always considered backing up to be basically cheating. It'd be great if non-strikers just never left their crease until they saw the ball in front of them.
This is Ashwin erasure and I won't stand for it

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

This is exactly why it should be an expected thing, with no shade thrown on it whatsoever.

It might be a desperate tactic by the bowling side, but the batting side is also desperately trying to get an extra run.

It's so simple. There's a line there, Use it. No confusion.

ashley bach

International Captain
Does your definition of mental health and abuse include the absolute crap Deepti has had to put up with in social and cricket media last couple of days?
She made the play, of course she's going to have to put up with social media crap, that's insanely obvious.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
In almost 300 games I was never 'Mankaded' or even threatened/warned, But then that possibly explains why I was run out so frequently. I never backed up enough.

TheJediBrah

This is exactly why it should be an expected thing, with no shade thrown on it whatsoever.

It might be a desperate tactic by the bowling side, but the batting side is also desperately trying to get an extra run.

It's so simple. There's a line there, Use it. No confusion.
Spark made a good point earlier though, if it became an accepted thing then the game would be full of people trying to Mankad and potentially just ruin cricket

Xix2565

International Debutant
Spark made a good point earlier though, if it became an accepted thing then the game would be full of people trying to Mankad and potentially just ruin cricket
So basically we assume umpires don't exist to cut out nonsensical time wasting.

TheJediBrah

The average person being an idiot is not exactly much of a defense for abusing players. So again, why is it obvious to abuse people for following the rules of the game?
Ask Trevor Chappell, compared to that, this is nothing

Obviously you shouldn't abuse people though, not sure why that needs to be said tbh

ashley bach

International Captain
The average person being an idiot is not exactly much of a defense for abusing players. So again, why is it obvious to abuse people for following the rules of the game?
Calling the average person an idiot is a wee bit arrogant imo, and if you can't see the reasons it's obvious thats your problem.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Obviously you shouldn't abuse people though, not sure why that needs to be said tbh
Someone clearly doesn't get it though.
Calling the average person an idiot is a wee bit arrogant imo, and if you can't see the reasons it's obvious thats your problem.
If they don't know how the game works and are still willing to abuse players over it is not really arrogance to call them idiots. If you can't see that it's your problem for being so oblivious to **** behaviour.

ataraxia

International Coach
Come on now, this is too much. You really think there is even the slightest chance that Knight posted that out of her own pure intuition, and not from speaking to Dean and the other players? Saying she must be wrong because she wasn't the one on the pitch is crazy, she's the England captain and clearly giving the England players' account

That doesn't mean she's right, obvs. Maybe the Indian players warned Dean, maybe not. We've no way of knowing. But saying Knight must wrong because she wasn't on the pitch is ignoring the obvious.
Ask the umpires, surely?

cnerd123

likes this
we've gotten 4 pages in and not a single person has actually evaluated the wording of the law itself

41.16 Non-striker leaving his/her ground early

If the non-striker is out of his/her ground at any time from the moment the ball comes into play until the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball, the non-striker is liable to be Run out. In these circumstances, the non-striker will be out Run out if he/she is out of his/her ground when his/her wicket is put down by the bowler throwing the ball at the stumps or by the bowler’s hand holding the ball, whether or not the ball is subsequently delivered.

41.16.2 If the ball is not delivered and there is an appeal,
  • the umpire shall make his/her decision on the Run out. If it is not out, he/she shall call and signal Dead ball as soon as possible.
  • the ball shall not count as one in the over.
41.16.3 If the ball is delivered and there is an appeal,
  • the umpire shall make his/her decision on the Run out.
  • if the non-striker is not dismissed, the ball remains in play and Law 21.6 (Bowler breaking wicket in delivering ball) shall apply.
  • if the non-striker is dismissed, the ball shall not count as one in the over.
41.17 Batters stealing a run

It is unfair for the batters to attempt to steal a run during the bowler’s run-up. Unless the bowler attempts to run out either batter – see 41.16 and Law 21.4 (Bowler throwing towards striker’s end before delivery) – the umpire shall

- call and signal Dead ball as soon as the batters cross in such an attempt.
- inform the other umpire of the reason for this action.

The bowler’s end umpire shall then

- return the batters to their original ends.
- award 5 Penalty runs to the fielding side.
- award any other 5 run Penalty that is applicable, except for Penalty runs under Law 28.3 (Protective helmets belonging to the fielding side).
- inform the batters, the captain of the fielding side and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side, of the reason for this action.

The umpires together shall report the occurrence as soon as possible after the match to the Executive of the offending side and to any Governing Body responsible for the match, who shall take such action as is considered appropriate against the captain, any other individuals concerned and, if appropriate, the team.

-----------------------------------

This is very straightforward. The entire 41.16 section will be moved to the section on runouts in a few days as well.