• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankads

Do you think mankads are against the spirit of the game?

• Yes

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil sums it up in a nutshell really in that there's none of us here who actually have any feelings of any sort whatsoever. I certainly couldn't give
a flying **** as to the outcome of the game or what may happen from now on. Bottom line is we just don't like the form of dismissal, and would love
nothing more than it be changed or even flushed down the toilet. But that's only a wish on our part, others here seem to think it adds to the game,
fair enough, makes for good topic, but nearly 30 pages over the 2 threads is almost comical, I've certainly had a pie full.

Coronis

International Coach
Did I ask you why you think these types of dismissals are not more common? Was it you that said because it was a difficult skill?

My view is that players are not comfortable doing it, hence only 8 or so instances in 80 years of international cricket. Regardless of my personal feelings (hurt or otherwise) on the matter, it's pretty clear (to me) why it doesn't happen more often.

Though, as I have said, it should be taken out of the players' hands. Clearly the prospect of being run out at the bowler's end is not sufficient enough a deterrent if a non-striker can leave their crease 72 times in one innings.
Probably it doesn’t occur more often because the bowlers are actually focused on, you know, the actual batsman they’re bowling to..

Xix2565

International Regular
Did I ask you why you think these types of dismissals are not more common? Was it you that said because it was a difficult skill?

My view is that players are not comfortable doing it, hence only 8 or so instances in 80 years of international cricket. Regardless of my personal feelings (hurt or otherwise) on the matter, it's pretty clear (to me) why it doesn't happen more often.

Though, as I have said, it should be taken out of the players' hands. Clearly the prospect of being run out at the bowler's end is not sufficient enough a deterrent if a non-striker can leave their crease 72 times in one innings.
I only suggested here that it's not easy to pull it off without any real form of premeditation that is generally present in all other cricketing actions like catching a ball, batting or bowling. My real points were about people complaining for no reason that this is a thing and that it needs actual changes because they didn't like it. Like, so what if you didn't like it, or if people didn't like it enough to have done it on a regular basis? That's not a good or even a strong reason to suggest changes when there's no real interrogation of why some people are biased against it.

Xix2565

International Regular
Neil sums it up in a nutshell really in that there's none of us here who actually have any feelings of any sort whatsoever. I certainly couldn't give
a flying **** as to the outcome of the game or what may happen from now on. Bottom line is we just don't like the form of dismissal, and would love
nothing more than it be changed or even flushed down the toilet
. But that's only a wish on our part, others here seem to think it adds to the game,
fair enough, makes for good topic, but nearly 30 pages over the 2 threads is almost comical, I've certainly had a pie full.
Which is it? Do you care enough to want changes, or don't give a **** and so have no real reason to ask for changes?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My stance on Mankading mirrors that of a majority of the forum, which is that if it happens to any team other than Australia it's hilarious. However, if someone is so bold as to try it against the good men in green and canary yellow, it's a crime against all that we hold dear in the game.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My stance on Mankading mirrors that of a majority of the forum, which is that if it happens to any team other than Australia it's hilarious. However, if someone is so bold as to try it against the good men in green and canary yellow, it's a crime against all that we hold dear in the game.
Imagine Ashwin trying it in a boxing day test. I mean, I'd actually love it for the drama and excitement it would generate for cricket, but yeah I'd still be on here ripping into him like he belongs in jail. Hope it happens

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I only suggested here that it's not easy to pull it off without any real form of premeditation that is generally present in all other cricketing actions like catching a ball, batting or bowling. My real points were about people complaining for no reason that this is a thing and that it needs actual changes because they didn't like it. Like, so what if you didn't like it, or if people didn't like it enough to have done it on a regular basis? That's not a good or even a strong reason to suggest changes when there's no real interrogation of why some people are biased against it.
Well, I hope you get to the bottom of it. I'll hop off the Ferris wheel now. My vocab is limited to only saying the same thing in 19 different ways.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@Xix2565 mate... I really dont think Neil or Steve or SoC think as passionately as Ashley and mrmr seem to about these type of dismissals. And honestly I think mrmr has made it clear he is gonna react this way irrespective of who does it. Us repeating the same thing is not gonna make him change his mind. And Ashley has accepted that we are putting forward a PoV on the game he has not had so far, at least as far as this dismissal goes. There is a lot of good learning and exchange of ideas happening right now. We dont have to ruin it by picking the same fight over and over.

I mean its great we can be so passionate about the game and its intricacies but the objectve for all of us is to learn and grow. And I say that as the person who made easily the worst post of the thread (now deleted). Just because we think a view is silly, does not give us the right to belittle the person holding the view. Its better to move on now.

I wish our girls beat England in the next WC final.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Come on now, this is too much. You really think there is even the slightest chance that Knight posted that out of her own pure intuition, and not from speaking to Dean and the other players? Saying she must be wrong because she wasn't the one on the pitch is crazy, she's the England captain and clearly giving the England players' account

That doesn't mean she's right, obvs. Maybe the Indian players warned Dean, maybe not. We've no way of knowing. But saying Knight must wrong because she wasn't on the pitch is ignoring the obvious.
I don't think we'll ever find out who was lying and who wasn't. It's better to leave it at that. The non-striker repeatedly left the crease before the ball left the bowler's hand, so there's a chance that a warning was given but there is no way to concretely throw weight behind either side on this.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont think Neil was arguing to the level of mr mr or Ashley. And I am happy to discuss how the laws can ensure a fair balance is stuck between batsmen being forced to stay in the crease at either end and the bowlers not using every ball as an opportunity to try this dismissal. At the very least, the failed attempt at running out the non-striker while backing up should ensure a free-hit for the batsman.

That said, @Neil Young and @SteveNZ , the point is not that only Indians do such dismissals. The point was that it was a very commonplace thing for us growing up. There is a big difference. It does not even mean every Indian cricketer is suddenly a supporter of such dismissals either. But it does explain its not seen as the biggest deal here.
I don't wish to infer that Indians are the only ones who do Mankads, it's just that in reading from you and others that there is not the stigma like there is in my country, for example. And now I know why.

Ultimately, as was my first point in all this, I would like to see the ICC bring the law more into line with the situation with some who think it is contrary to how cricket should be played, and those who don't. I would point to the fact it has been done once each by a major nation in both men's and women's internationals in 30 years to suggest it is not generally 'acceptable practice', because there's certainly more batsmen who take liberties at the non-strikers. Get them behind the line somehow, I have absolutely no problem with that. Then penalise bowlers who try it and fail.