• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

Fusion

Global Moderator
Considering what Cain got, I feel better about the Darvish contract as a Rangers fan. I'm not comparing the two as I know one is an established MLB stud while the other needs to prove himself, but I think the asking price of Darvish next season would have been significantly higher.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Considering what Cain got, I feel better about the Darvish contract as a Rangers fan. I'm not comparing the two as I know one is an established MLB stud while the other needs to prove himself, but I think the asking price of Darvish next season would have been significantly higher.
:laugh:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon' this could very well be the year the Blue Jays stop being the "cute lil' team from Toronto" and start contesting with the big boys, especially with the change in playoff structure and the classic 90's Jays logo back in action. Hoping Lawrie has a huge year, the kid's got what it takes.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Or the fact that he's right.
T'was in reference to him picking on the smaller teams ftr, not as to why he held that opinion.

As for the Jays' chances for postseason baseball, it's pretty silly to completely write them off. It's true they haven't been competitive as a unit, despite starting well each season. And being in one of the most competitive divisions doesn't help.

But they have been improving as a result of one of the strongest farm systems in baseball. We all know what a strong farm system did for a team like Tampa Bay. And guys like Lawrie are finally starting to come through. The kid has potential and tremendous range at third base, arguably the best in the AL. It's clear that this ball club has placed a strong focus on scouting and player development. And one of our biggest issues was in regards to the strength of the bullpen, which has also seen some major improvements with the addition of guys like Cordero and Sergio Santos.

Again, I'm not saying we'll necessarily make it through this year, especially with the starting rotation still a weak spot, but it's definitely something to look forward to for Jays' fans in the coming years. And obviously, a lot depends on injuries too. But I wouldn't be surprised if we finish above the Red Sox this year.

EDIT: Also, this club has had a lot of spirit since near the end of last season. You can see the guys have good chemistry, are enjoying their baseball, and have that hunger to win games. I could see this even in these two games against Cleveland, to start the season off, they've come back from behind and shown that spirit to come up big in crunch situations. Of course, this is just a matter of perception though.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I think next year you're a legitimate chance (because we'll trade Shields at some stage, and probably take a slight step back offensively again) but I don't see it this year. To be taken seriously by most people I'd say you need to add a top line guy to your rotation (Shields? haha) but I don't think it would be too much of a problem if Morrow takes another step forward and your position players continue to perform.

Josh

International Regular
Orioles 2-0: to win one more game and then take their usual spot at the very bottom of AL East when they take on the Yankee$

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, yeah. Hilarious.

Meanwhile, the Mets are 3-0! **** yeah! I'm not expecting it to last, but I'm loving every minute of it while it does.