• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MacGill must tour India - Ganguly

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
haha 5 bowlers would have Martyn dropped for sure, Katich and Boof are far superior players of spin to him - not to mention they both bowl abit of spin as well :)
Martyn really isn't that good against spin - obviously there aren't that many of them in WA, but really, you'd expect an international batsman with such high averages to be rather better than him.
And don't start banging-on about those 150-whatever in Sri Lanka - 4 let-offs and all...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I think for the 1st test, Lee for the extra pace, Gillespie, Mcgrath and warne..

now macgill will only get a chance if lee is having a bad time.. i doubt australia will play a 4 seam attack in India..

And ganguly would have only made that comment because India had a good time against Macgill in australia , positive strategy thing..

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lord_of_darkness said:
now macgill will only get a chance if lee is having a bad time.. i doubt australia will play a 4 seam attack in India..

nah Kaspa would play over Macgill, its between him and Lee for the last spot and Kaspa is winning atm, depends how they go in the champions trophy

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Martyn really isn't that good against spin - obviously there aren't that many of them in WA, but really, you'd expect an international batsman with such high averages to be rather better than him.

even when you agree with me you try and argue :P

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Ganguly - MacGill must tour India .. (thinking inside, .. or else we miss out on 50-100 runs per innings.. Love those long-hops !! <homer simpson>Mmmm Long Hops !!</homer simpson>)

biased indian

International Coach
Craig said:
There is no chance in hell Warne will not be playing in the first Test barring injury.
thats what we are also praying,he should play along with macgill as ganguly said

Reason :indias performance aganist spinners in the past

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Something which suggests those early Tests are long gone.
A 3-year period (30 matches) which have produced an average of 38.42 suggests to me a very, very average bowler and one who is a different prospect to the one in his first 7 games.
Or maybe it was just beginner's luck. That's my guess. I don't see how someone so terrible could once have been good enough to deserve an average of 16.
haha, I don't think "beginners luck" fairs too well in international cricket. Maybe it was the shock factor though with raw pace, and he started at home on wickets that would benefit this (and he played India - during the period when traditionally we flogged them at home). If you're pushing it to the limit trying to bowl flat out I guess there's a fine line between success and failure. Unfortunately Lee has overstepped the failure line by quite a bit since his original successes.

Andre

International Regular
Interesting reading in todays paper that the selectors are considering Jason Krejza for a place in the squad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
nah Kaspa would play over Macgill, its between him and Lee for the last spot and Kaspa is winning atm, depends how they go in the champions trophy
IMO the Champions Trophy shold have no bearing on it.

If Kasprowicz doesn't go I'll be mightily shocked.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Andre said:
Interesting reading in todays paper that the selectors are considering Jason Krejza for a place in the squad.
Who?!!!!!!!

Has he even played a FC or List A game?

Slow Love™

International Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
who in the world is he then?
He's a Cricket Academy graduate, contracted to NSW. Apparently bats a bit too. I don't know that the selectors are seriously considering him though - it seems more like Hohns and Border were asked about him by the press, and said "well, we'd consider anybody who looked talented enough to go".

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/04/1094234076266.html

I guess you never know though... I'm sure the selectors are tempted to send an offie, to tie up some spells with Warne.

Andre

International Regular
I know Krejza has got big raps on the Sydney grade scene - plus he's a more than decent bat - but any selection would be very difficult to logically justify other than going on a hunch. Mind you, when Gavin Robertson went to India last time around on a hunch he performed more than credibly - even coming straight from grade. That said though, he was a proven domestic performer and should have done a whole lot better than he did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This would be one of the bigger sensations of the last 50 years - "Anglo-side" picks player totally without-experience out of the blue who's never played a top-level game.
Happens occasionally in the subcontinent but I'd like to know when the last time it happened in England, Australia, South Africa, West Indies or New Zealand was.

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Richard said:
This would be one of the bigger sensations of the last 50 years - "Anglo-side" picks player totally without-experience out of the blue who's never played a top-level game.
Happens occasionally in the subcontinent but I'd like to know when the last time it happened in England, Australia, South Africa, West Indies or New Zealand was.
Wasn't Fidel Edwards picked from obscurity ?

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Alf Valentine and Sonny Ramadhin IIRC were picked on the tour to England in 1950 without playing a FC game between them.

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
Do you have a link to this article or not?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Graham Vivian made his first-class debut for NZ on the tour of India in 1964/65.

Robert Kennedy played Academy matches before getting picked against Zimbabwe in 1996.