• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

loudest and most hostile crowds

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The crowds at the Antigua Recreation Ground were some of the best...aided by Gravy and Chixy on his sound system.
The Jamaican crowd I think is the most knowledgable.
The Bajans are alway pompous...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
ODI at Carisbrook when Brett Lee sconed Adam Parore with a bouncer and the helmet fell on to his stumps. Parore was given out hit wicket when it should've been a no ball - the crowd went nuts.
Yeah that was chaos. Those Carisbrook crowds could be feral as hell. Didn't Fleming have to walk around the boundary to calm them down?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Think the Hadlee thing was (late?) eighties (from what I remember of a book of his). Of course, New Zealand crowds might have had amazing clairvoyant powers.
No, definitely closer to 79-80. Kicked off around the time he had an unpleasant stint with Tasmania.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
From all accounts the Adelaide crowd was pretty hostile when Oldfield mishooked Larwood and suffered a cracked skull in the '32/33 Bodyline series.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That was considered unusual for there though. The Sydney crowd was the toughest here at the time.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
The Elliot six. I was there. Nothing like it. The cheering just went on and on.
Oh and random strangers in the crowd all started hugging each other like scrums.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I was lucky enough to be at that game and also the 2011 RWC final, and I'm sure the cheer for Elliott's six was louder. I guess the rugby was more of a relief.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The best crowd experience was a One Day Match at Taunton in the late 70's and early 80's. Botham, Richards and Garner on the field. The atmosphere for a semi-final or big Sunday League game was electric. By half through the day the noise was incredible. The cider was flowing and by the end the main bank of singers were fighting amongst themselves.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I was lucky enough to be at that game and also the 2011 RWC final, and I'm sure the cheer for Elliott's six was louder. I guess the rugby was more of a relief.
I was at the RWC 2011 final, that wasn't rowdy at all (apart from when Woodcock scored). It was 70 odd minutes of arse squeaking. You could hear the air slowly being expelled out of people's puckered dates, such was the tension. Then on FT it was definitely more relief than elation.

2015, I wasn't there, but I did run around my home madly and wake up my 1 month old child. Who gave a ****. Not me. Certainly my greatest moment as an NZ sports fan I reckon, possibly rivalled by Cambo winning the US Open.

Kirkut

International Regular
Yes the Pakistan fans when we played them anywhere in the north west were very lively. Then police intercepted a plan by the far right or combat 18 who had bought hundreds of tickets for a game at headingly. There would have been huge trouble that game if they wasn't stopped from attending. It must have been around 2005 ish, there were numerous race riots at the time in places like Oldham Rochdale Bradford between the white and Pakistani communities
It's something about Yorkshire that makes everyone lively who lives there. The Pakistani fans you're talking about in race riots were a bit like chavs, and they speak Urdu/Punjabi with a Yorkshire accent, very unique.