• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

loudest and most hostile crowds

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I no balled a guy off once when I was the stand in umpire. He bowled three beamers at a fifteen year old kid. He was a psycho though and the teams nearly broke out in a fight over it.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Wasn't there some match in 1970s in England when Boycott got out of the last ball of the match only to be pushed around by a group of aggressive fans when he walked off the ground. As hostile as it gets.

Another incident, John Snow had a tussle with the fans near the boundary in the 1970-71 ashes.

Yet another one, Mumbai fans who booed off Tendulkar in 2006 when he was going through a major low.

hazsa19

International Regular
Last day of Ashes Edgbaston 2015 was pretty loud coming through the tv. MJ seemed to be affected by it too.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know if loudest, but certainly the terraces at Eden Park could be pretty hostile during an ODI around the 90s and 00s. There were no kid gloves when an opposing player - particularly an Aussie - headed down to third man.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if loudest, but certainly the terraces at Eden Park could be pretty hostile during an ODI around the 90s and 00s. There were no kid gloves when an opposing player - particularly an Aussie - headed down to third man.
ODI at Carisbrook when Brett Lee sconed Adam Parore with a bouncer and the helmet fell on to his stumps. Parore was given out hit wicket when it should've been a no ball - the crowd went nuts.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Think the Hadlee thing was (late?) eighties (from what I remember of a book of his). Of course, New Zealand crowds might have had amazing clairvoyant powers.

TNT

Banned
Think the Hadlee thing was (late?) eighties (from what I remember of a book of his). Of course, New Zealand crowds might have had amazing clairvoyant powers.
So in the seventies the NZ crowd were nasty and in the eighties (1980) the aussies started chanting "Hadlee is a wanker" I mentioned 1980 because I was at the match. Cant blame them for that.

TNT

Banned
I think I got it the wrong way round: say what you're saying is the Aussies reacted to NZer's?
No I'm just saying it was around the same time. We will never know and everyone will have a different opinion and my opinion whatever it is is wrong.

Kirkut

International Regular
Jamaica was crazy in the 90s.

Also thought of a Pakistani fan throwing a full beer can on Damien Martyn's face in Manchester when Pak beat Australia in an ODI game.

Kirkut

International Regular
By the way loud and hostile crowds are fun as long as no one gets seriously injured. Polite crowds like the one at Lord's are too boring.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Jamaica was crazy in the 90s.

Also thought of a Pakistani fan throwing a full beer can on Damien Martyn's face in Manchester when Pak beat Australia in an ODI game.
Yes the Pakistan fans when we played them anywhere in the north west were very lively. Then police intercepted a plan by the far right or combat 18 who had bought hundreds of tickets for a game at headingly. There would have been huge trouble that game if they wasn't stopped from attending. It must have been around 2005 ish, there were numerous race riots at the time in places like Oldham Rochdale Bradford between the white and Pakistani communities

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So there was a ACC tournament in Nepal where one of my ex teammates who was.. well proportioned, was heckled by a ~500 strong crowd. They kept chanting Buffalo, Buffalo at him. It was an U15 tournament ffs and the adults were bullying the poor kid. They're a real special breed, many of these Nepali fans. Don't think they've changed at all going by how they behave on social media.