• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's Talk About Pakistani Test Batsmen

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If being in the conversation was just about runs, tons and consistency, Younis is right up there with the best Pakistan has produced. But, as much as I love the guy and do think he's quite under-rated, I don't think he had that same fear-factor that the best of the best do. A Younis knock might win his team the day but a Lara ton can knock the oppo on their arse for the series or longer. Most of the other Pakistan bats have fatal flaws in their records or techniques which make people rate them lower.

Beleg

International Regular
Inzamam and Miandad were the best of the lot. They had the fear factor Top_Cat mentioned earlier. Inzamam's record in particular may not stack up but he produced enough instances of sublimity to have his name up there with Waugh and Dravid in the conversation.

Saeed Anwar wasn't far behind either. He just didn't play enough.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan has had some great batsmen. But none of them defined or were the best of their generation.

Miandad was probably the best Pakistan produced, but in his own generation he was behind Richards, Richards, Chappell, Gavaskar and Pollock. Inzi is similar as he too was eclipsed by Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting etc.

Doesn't make them, not great but explains why they are probably not as discussed as some others.

bagapath

International Captain
javed never averaged under 50 in his entire career. right from his first innings he maintained extremely high standards throughout his long career. he was better in home matches but that doesnt mean he was a bad traveler at all. quite easily among the top 20 test batsmen of all time. younis and inzi would make it to top 30 as well.

anwar was my personal favorite. he and mo yo and hanif should break into the top 50.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I would be interested to know where Miandad rated in the top 50 vote that smali did...
50th.

In DoG's revised batting list, we have Inzamam at 21, Miandad at 23, Younis at 31, Yousuf at 32, Anwar at 47 and Hanif at 70. Personally would never say Inzy was a better batsman than Miandad.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I'm glad this thread is happening, I always enjoyed Inzy and had him up with my favourites of his time. Lara was always 1 for me but didn't have an order below that particularly. I wish I'd seen Javed's career I think he would have been a firebrand.
I would say that the most talked of Pakistan batsman is Imran, to gauge his ATG allrounder status.