• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lets rate some of the top contemporary spinners

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cric_manic said:
whos that other spinner from S.A with the weird action
'frog in a blender'
hes a pretty good spinner
:D
Paul Adams
Yes. He is good but thats why I specifically said finger spinner. Otherwise Paul Adams as well as Hogg are also there.

C_C

International Captain
Giles is a far better bowler than Nickie Boje will ever be. Giles might well be the best left arm finger spinner in the world today. Of course there arent many great bowlers of that type around.
i thought this was the top spinners list and not just left arm spinners ?
While i can see Giles and Boje being a contentious issue, Giles is nowhere close to Kaneria or McGill as a spinner.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
While i can see Giles and Boje being a contentious issue, Giles is nowhere close to Kaneria or McGill as a spinner.
Denunciation is a heady beverage and I would just as soon be an alcoholic as a professional denouncer: the temptation and consequent excesses are all too similar. :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Giles is a far better bowler than Nickie Boje will ever be. Giles might well be the best left arm finger spinner in the world today. Of course there arent many great bowlers of that type around.
I would suggest that Giles has become England's best finger-spinner, Underwood excepted, since the days of Laker, Lock & Wardle. His strike rate is far better than guys like Illingworth, Titmus, Allen, Gifford, Emburey, Edmonds & Tufnell, many of whom had the advantage of bowling on uncovered wickets.

C_C

International Captain
wpdavid said:
I would suggest that Giles has become England's best finger-spinner, Underwood excepted, since the days of Laker, Lock & Wardle. His strike rate is far better than guys like Illingworth, Titmus, Allen, Gifford, Emburey, Edmonds & Tufnell, many of whom had the advantage of bowling on uncovered wickets.
That may be true but becomming the best english spinner since Underwood is not really a big deal...just like becomming the best indian pacer since Kapil...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
That may be true (re Giles) but becomming the best english spinner since Underwood is not really a big deal...just like becomming the best indian pacer since Kapil...
True, but it's a big deal to us. :happy:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
That may be true but becomming the best english spinner since Underwood is not really a big deal...just like becomming the best indian pacer since Kapil...
That's an insult to Srinath.

Giles is tall and accurate, that's it!

He does a job for England but is not in the same class as Warne, Murali, Kumble, Singh, Kaneria and possibly even Vettori.

C_C

International Captain
Srinath was good....not great. He himself admitted as much when he retired. I wouldnt rate him below Mr Overhype, aka Vettori though.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
So ?

The point being ??????

C_C

International Captain
SJS said:
So ?

The point being ??????

Point being you rated him above Kaneria/McGill and then used his 'best left arm spinner today blahblah' line of thought which is irrelevant to the discussion as who is the better SPINNER.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
social said:

He does a job for England but is not in the same class as Warne, Murali, Kumble, Singh, Kaneria and possibly even Vettori.
Hi Social.
Come on man just read back and you will see where it started.
No one is saying that Giles is better than Warne, Murali, Kumble, Harbhajan or Kaneria. Far from it. It was just about Giles being better than Boje . But some people....

I hate getting into this but since it started with a one liner from me let me trace it.

CC : GILES ?!?

Okay......now thats an insult to spinners like Kaneria, McGill, Boje etc...

SJS :Giles is a far better bowler than Nickie Boje will ever be. Giles might well be the best left arm finger spinner in the world today. Of course there arent many great bowlers of that type around.

cric_manic i would still say Vettorie is the best left arm spinner in the world......
we havent seen his best yet

SJS : Possible .

SO FAR SO GOOD. NOW THE DIVERSION....

C_C : (Out of the blue and in response to my very first post on Giles and Boje) i thought this was the top spinners list and not just left arm spinners ?

although I had said nothing about Giles versus Kaneria and MacGill :)

And into Underwood and so on. But as my signature says.

Denunciation is a heady beverage and I would just as soon be an alcoholic as a professional denouncer: the temptation and consequent excesses are all too similar.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Point being you rated him above Kaneria/McGill and then used his 'best left arm spinner today blahblah' line of thought which is irrelevant to the discussion as who is the better SPINNER.
I did nothing of the sort. How do you manage to read what you want rather than what is written.

Incredible.

great job :p :p

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
social said:

Not sure about Vettori nowadays. As for the others, that goes without saying, which is why I thought there were more interesting comparisons to be made between Giles and his English predecessors rather than current guys who are obviously in a different league.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Not sure about Vettori nowadays. As for the others, that goes without saying, which is why I thought there were more interesting comparisons to be made between Giles and his English predecessors rather than current guys who are obviously in a different league.
I think you are right.

Actually, Giles has suffered a lot due to Nasser Hussain's using him for his negative tactics. i think He lost out on a lot of wickets in that period bowling the negative outside-leg-stump-line.

Though I feel, Edmonds was good too after Underwood. What do you say ?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
I think you are right.

Actually, Giles has suffered a lot due to Nasser Hussain's using him for his negative tactics. i think He lost out on a lot of wickets in that period bowling the negative outside-leg-stump-line.

Though I feel, Edmonds was good too after Underwood. What do you say ?
Yes, I thought Edmonds was pretty good by our standards. You never felt he was a particularly hungry cricketer, probably because he knew he had another career lined up in the city. With Giles' attitude, Edmonds could have achieved far more, I think. I also think you're dead right about Giles & Hussain. The approach in India during 2001/02 was hardly a vote of confidence, was it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Yes, I thought Edmonds was pretty good by our standards. You never felt he was a particularly hungry cricketer, probably because he knew he had another career lined up in the city. With Giles' attitude, Edmonds could have achieved far more, I think. I also think you're dead right about Giles & Hussain. The approach in India during 2001/02 was hardly a vote of confidence, was it.
You know, I had a very poor opinion of Giles when he bowled in India, over the wicket, wide of the leg stump, just short of a length. It was absolutely farcical. I thought maybe this guy cant do anything else and is scared of being slaughtered.

Now I see him bowl the conventional stuxx. Round the wicket, flighted, on and outside the off stump, tempting the batsman to drive him. It was a pleasure to watch. He has a lovely loop and a fair amount of turn.

Vettori is does not get as many revolutions on the ball due to his thumb-and-first-two-fingers grip. He just ends up throwing the ball up and the ball fails to grip the surface. Giles is more of a classical bowler. I wish he stayed away from the one day game and concentrated on tests, he will still be a very very fine bowler.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
You know, I had a very poor opinion of Giles when he bowled in India, over the wicket, wide of the leg stump, just short of a length. It was absolutely farcical. I thought maybe this guy cant do anything else and is scared of being slaughtered.

Now I see him bowl the conventional stuxx. Round the wicket, flighted, on and outside the off stump, tempting the batsman to drive him. It was a pleasure to watch. He has a lovely loop and a fair amount of turn.

Vettori is does not get as many revolutions on the ball due to his thumb-and-first-two-fingers grip. He just ends up throwing the ball up and the ball fails to grip the surface. Giles is more of a classical bowler. I wish he stayed away from the one day game and concentrated on tests, he will still be a very very fine bowler.
Yup, Giles' increased confidence is a joy to behold. I think his contribution in SA has been significant, even those his figures aren't special. Often, he's accounted for important batsmen. I hope he ODI's don't spoil him - he's actually done very well for us in them over the last 12 months or so.