• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann's outburst

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Darren "Boof" Lehmann has been suspended for 5 games by ICC officials. I personally feel this to be a grose over exaggeration of a small event. It was in the heat of the amount of stuff that goes on like that these days is amazing. Take Allan Donald "White" Lightning he didn't care. and all the stuff the Sri Lankan's probably say about us!!!!
Give him a break, he apologised and let's get on with it.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I actualy think he deserved to be punnished for it I just cant beleve somone could say somting like that.

Having said that i do beleve lehmann is a good bloke and just made a big mistake.

James

Cricket Web Owner
A small event! Yeah right! I think he should have got even more of a ban then what he received. He should count himself very lucky as if I were a senior ICC official I would have banned him for double that including the world cup.

Doesn't he think before he opens his mouth! That ban at least sends a warning to other players that this sort of behaviour is completely un-acceptable.

Here's to Darren Lehmann never making it to a senior post in Australian cricket!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that was a very harsh ban. 1-2 games would have been enough. What he said obviously wasnt that bad if the Sri Lankan officals wanted to drop the case after an apology.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
COP OUT!

He could (and should) have been banned for a lot longer - the question now arises as to what Yorkshire do to him - can they have him as captain?

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
COP OUT!

He could (and should) have been banned for a lot longer - the question now arises as to what Yorkshire do to him - can they have him as captain?
Yorkshire CCC have allready sent there support to Lehmann as have many of the players so I dont think there will be any changes there.

I dont think its that serious I mean if this is a fisrt offence and it is and the fact that he has done brilliantly and led from the front domesticly for many years counts in his favor.

He has been a good captain for along time and this is not really related to yorkshire so I see no reason why they would even cosider dumping him as captain.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Eclipse said:
this is not really related to yorkshire so I see no reason why they would even cosider dumping him as captain.
WRONG! PR is a very big issue these days, hence the ICC trying to make an example of him - we don't want racism in cricket thankyou very much. Australia should impose their own punishment, and Yorkshire should have a good long think about it.

5 matches, well at least it sends out a message to other players. I can't believe some people are saying it has been blown out of proportion! Are you racist yourselves? Do you condone racism?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i dont condone racisim at all, but you have to consider the circumstances. It was something he said in the dressing room, not directed at anyone, just something he said, does that deserve 5 matches, when people can smash things in the dressing rooms and get fined. Gilchrist swearing on the field in my opinion is much worse than what Lehmann did.
This was a massive media beat up, it could have been kept behind closed doors with an apology and no one would ever know.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
'Heat of the moment' is exactly what professional individuals are to cope with. Racism is serious, if you dont believe me go ask the south africans.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Yorkshire CCC have allready sent there support to Lehmann as have many of the players so I dont think there will be any changes there.
You can support someone, but still discipline them.

Eclipse said:
I dont think its that serious I mean if this is a fisrt offence and it is and the fact that he has done brilliantly and led from the front domesticly for many years counts in his favor.
He's only been captain there for one season, and that has no bearing on this offence.

Eclipse said:
He has been a good captain for along time and this is not really related to yorkshire so I see no reason why they would even cosider dumping him as captain.
As captain of Yorkshire, he is representing YCCC at all times. YCCC are, to their credit, making a big effort to encourage the Asian community to get involved there. What sort of sign does that incident give?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
broncoman said:
that was a very harsh ban. 1-2 games would have been enough. What he said obviously wasnt that bad if the Sri Lankan officals wanted to drop the case after an apology.
The fact that the SL officials were not overly bothered to me says a lot, and I think that, after consideration, Clive Lloyd's got it just about right.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
On ITV Teletext here in England there's this guy who calls himself the Guvnor who makes comments on what he feels should happen. Despite me never agreeing with what he says I keep being drawn to his column. This time he said that 5 matches was too little, and that Boof should have been banned for life. Now that IS harsh. He also trys to paint a picture that Lehmann is an evil person who only apologised to get off a bigger punishment. Well I am against everything to do with racial or any kind of discrimination like against people with disabilities, and I agree that a tough sentance should be given for such an action, but Lehmann has never done this before and I doubt he even ment it in a personal way, yes he shouldn't have said it, but racism is everywhere, in football, in Zimbabwe, even in the old Noddy books...yes we should punish him but it's not really his fault he said it, it's society. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill, by all means tell people it's wrong, but not try to ruin one guy's career. How is one guy saying something racist and getting banned over the other side of the world going to effect people who don't even follow cricket...

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
How is it not his fault ? you agree it is wrong and is punishable but how is a 5 match ban equal to ruining his career. Besides, he has the sense to think about his own career, why make a comment like that anyway ? It doesn't affect people who dotn follow cricket but it sure does add an ugly side to cricket for thsoe who do follow the sport. Racism is everywhere, but it is condemnable everywhere as well.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotchya said:
How is it not his fault ? you agree it is wrong and is punishable but how is a 5 match ban equal to ruining his career. Besides, he has the sense to think about his own career, why make a comment like that anyway ? It doesn't affect people who dotn follow cricket but it sure does add an ugly side to cricket for thsoe who do follow the sport. Racism is everywhere, but it is condemnable everywhere as well.
I was commenting on the thing the Guvnor said about ban him for life.

Gotchya...are you picking on me? ;)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
And I thought you were commenting on the 5 match ban....

But then why should anything Guvnor say have any importance eh ? :D things like these crop up everywhere about everyone. A life ban is stupid to even think about. And no, not picking at you.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotchya said:
And I thought you were commenting on the 5 match ban....

But then why should anything Guvnor say have any importance eh ? :D things like these crop up everywhere about everyone. A life ban is stupid to even think about. And no, not picking at you.
Well you keep finding fault with what I say, although not quite understanding what I mean as well.

Yeah I know he shouldn't be listened to, but yes there are loads of people like that but it was just such a silly thing to say. Also Boof does not seem the kind who would do it intentionally like that guy said. It's just madness.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Lloyd goofed up on this big time.He should have handed the sentence right at the beginning and there should have been no necessity for Mal Speed to come into the picture.Was he not aware of the ICC policy of cracking down on racial stuff ?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Well you keep finding fault with what I say, although not quite understanding what I mean as well.

Alright, what do you mean here :

but racism is everywhere, in football, in Zimbabwe, even in the old Noddy books...yes we should punish him but it's not really his fault he said it, it's society

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Also Boof does not seem the kind who would do it intentionally like that guy said. It's just madness.
Forget about what that guy said.....who gives a damn.

The point is Lehmann said something he shouldn't have.And that's enough for him to be punished.No one is judging whether he is a person with a racial bias or anything.That's not under consideration here.He may very well be quite the amiable type, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he uttered a horrible slur in there and that's all there is to it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotchya said:
Alright, what do you mean here :
Well I mean that you don't ban someone for the rest of his life when he says something in the heat of the moment when he's ****ed off...I doubt he even thought before he said it, it was not malicious, it is just that there is racism all around, and as he was growing up the world was not really that PC, he probably grew up saying racist things he didn't realise were racist, and that seeped into what happened here, he just didn't think and it came out. I hope that helps. If it doesn't then I'll try and explain what I think in a different way.