• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann a retired man

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH, think Sameer (^^^) has hit the nail on the head - it's difficult to respect Lehmann personally after the racistgate instance of 2002\03. Thing is, hardly anyone would do that anyway, because none of us know him. I respect him hugely as a batsman (and to a lesser extent bowler and captain), and that's it.
I'll respect him regardless of a slip of the tongue or whatever it was he said in the heat of the moment (am I right in saying it was to no one in particular?).

Brilliant player - absolutely terrible to see him go when he quite clearly is still up to the task.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unfortunately not, because they got far more opportunity than them.

Had the three played equal numbers of games at each level, Lehmann would almost certainly have vastly outperformed them at Test as he did at domestic (in both England and Australia) level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll respect him regardless of a slip of the tongue or whatever it was he said in the heat of the moment (am I right in saying it was to no one in particular?).
It was far more than a slip of the tongue, though, I don't see how anyone could deny that and not be burying their head in the sand.

You don't shout "you black ****ers", regardless of how annoyed you are, unless there's something seriously wrong with the way you perceive those of a different skin-colour. Had he yelled "you Sri Lankan ****ers" that'd have been different, that could be brushed-off as saying something careless due to annoyance clouding the brain.

That day disappointed me more than almost any other day since I've been watching cricket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Had the three played equal numbers of games at each level, Lehmann would almost certainly have vastly outperformed them at Test as he did at domestic (in both England and Australia) level.
Yeah exactly Richard.

Perm your comment was such a captain obvious one...

Lehmann was a brilliant first class batsmen one of the best first class cricketers of the last 20 years.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah exactly Richard.

Perm your comment was such a captain obvious one...

Lehmann was a brilliant first class batsmen one of the best first class cricketers of the last 20 years.
I've no doubt he was one of the finest First Class batsmen in recent times, and I wasn't trying to deny that. Michael Bevan and Ajay Sharma are probably the only two who can rival him in terms of batsmen who had limited or no opportunities at Test level, atleast in the last few years.

My comment wasn't supposed to come across as obvious either, I was just pointing out that Justin Langer and Damien Martyn have had better careers because of their Test exploits.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

They did, and they deserved such lengthy and illustrious careers.

Lehmann's career average of 53.88 in Pura Cup/Sheffield Shield cricket is exceptional, ahead of his former Test team-mates such as Hayden, Langer, M.Waugh and S.Waugh and shows how classy he was. But why was he only a moderate Test batsmen? Adam Gilchrist and Damien Martyn will go down as far better Test batsmen that Lehmann, yet they were considerably outstripped in domestic cricket by him.

Also, I wouldn't say that Lehmann 'vastly outperformed' Justin Langer, as their averages are only a few points apart, with Lehmann batting most of the time on a flat Adelaide Oval while Langer has had to fight against the pace of the WACA, until recently.

bond21

Banned
why cant he shout black *******?

sri lankans are black, its not racist.

he didnt shout the N word, he didnt make monkey noises that some countries stoop to....

the only mildly offensive thing was the ******* part, but thats nothing.

bond21

Banned
also comparing a number 6 at test level with an opening batsman is ridiculous.

Coming in at 6 is child's play compared to opening.