• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Left Handed ATXI for All Teams

Hoggy_Bear

Cricket Spectator
All three of Foster, Hirst and Rhodes cannot be included since they are all rounders who bat right handed. Foster and Hirst have triple centuries at the FC level. Had they been lefties, then Foster would be on this team for sure. I would still take Underwood and Wardle above Rhodes though.

Regard Nobby Clark, too small a sample size. Seems he had a weak temperament, or maybe was just another good bowler screwed over by the English establishment. Not against him replacing Sidebottom though.

Must admit I missed the bit about all-rounders, although I'd argue that, at test level, Foster wasn't really regarded as an all-rounder, more a bowler who could bat. A bit like Maurice Tate.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must admit I missed the bit about all-rounders, although I'd argue that, at test level, Foster wasn't really regarded as an all-rounder, more a bowler who could bat. A bit like Maurice Tate.
Yeah, Foster's Test batting record is awful. But I cannot allow myself to include an FC triple centurion. Nobby Clark or Sidebottom is the issue for me.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My crack at an Australian team...

- Bill Lawry
- Arthur Morris
- Clem Hill
- Neil Harvey
- Allan Border
- Mike Hussey
- Adam Gilchrist
- Alan Davidson
- Bruce Reid
- Bill Johnston
- Bert Ironmonger

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
My crack at an Australian team...

- Bill Lawry
- Arthur Morris
- Clem Hill
- Neil Harvey
- Allan Border
- Mike Hussey
- Adam Gilchrist
- Alan Davidson
- Bruce Reid
- Bill Johnston
- Bert Ironmonger
Ha ha, a great side mate (though I'd personally find a place for Hayden) but unquestionably my favourite element of the team is that there are three such genuine number 11s that Bruce Reid bats at 9.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think I could improve on your England team. My first thought was that there must be better pace options, but I could only think of John Lever who isn't really a definite improvement on Sidebottom.

Apart from that, was Ken Higgs a leftie?.
Yeah, was about to post the same. Lever for Sidebottom.

Verity for Wardle as well. Wardle has a wonderful record but Verity is Yorkshire cricketing royalty.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ha ha, a great side mate (though I'd personally find a place for Hayden) but unquestionably my favourite element of the team is that there are three such genuine number 11s that Bruce Reid bats at 9.
I know! Very true. Johnston, Reid and Ironmonger are probably Australia's three ****test test batsmen ever! I just couldn't bring myself to include Mitchell Johnson to bolster the batting. Maybe Starceh in a few years time...

Couldn't quite squeeze Hayden in either. Tbh, I'm not his biggest fan, but I'm a massive fan of Bill Lawry, and I've met Arthur Morris twice, and he's one of the greatest guys ever.

archie mac

International Coach
I know! Very true. Johnston, Reid and Ironmonger are probably Australia's three ****test test batsmen ever! I just couldn't bring myself to include Mitchell Johnson to bolster the batting. Maybe Starceh in a few years time...

Couldn't quite squeeze Hayden in either. Tbh, I'm not his biggest fan, but I'm a massive fan of Bill Lawry, and I've met Arthur Morris twice, and he's one of the greatest guys ever.
Let's not forget Johnston averaged over a 100 on a tour of England:ph34r:

watson

Banned

It's an interesting exercise to compare and contrast Lawry and Hayden. While I agree Hayden is the greater batsman because of his volume of runs, I believe Lawry to be the better batsman.

I can't imagine Hayden wandering down the track to belt Hall, Griffith, or Trueman over long-on and long-off. Also, repeatedly sweeping Kumble and Harbie over square-leg is one thing, but combating Bedi, Chandra, and Prasanna is another. In comparison to Lawry, Hayden's runs were easier. And when he did face a decent English bowling attack in 2005 he failed in 4 out of 5 Tests.