• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman aiming for Lara's record !

Eclipse

International Debutant
Good on him but I dont think he will do it.

He is aggresive but not that aggresive his scoring rate is usualy between 40 - 65 he would probably need to push that toward's 75-80 to get there and still have enough time to win the match.

blackcapsrule

State 12th Man
Eclipse said:

He is aggresive but not that aggresive his scoring rate is usualy between 40 - 65 he would probably need to push that toward's 75-80 to get there and still have enough time to win the match.
Yes, he is not the fast scoring type like, Hayden, Ganguly and co, but he can attack well.

Sehwag309

Banned
Eclipse said:

Ya, I agree. But 1 thing is for sure, if he does make 400..it will only be against Australia :D

tooextracool

International Coach
orangepitch said:
India's VVS Laxman is a man on a mission this summer having targeted Brian Lara’s world record Test score of 400. ``It is one of my aims to reach 400,'' Laxman told the Asian Age although while beating Brian Lara's world record is in his sights, Laxman says it must also benefit the Indian team. ``I want to get the big scores when the team needs it most, like I did in Calcutta. But I know I can do a lot better than that,'' he said.

highly unlikely that he'll score 400 and yet put the team in with a chance of winning especially considering that he bats at 6....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
VVS is a highly overrated batsman. He gives too many chances early in his innings, a very poor runner between the wickets, doesn't have the power and strength in his batting.

My prediction is 281 will remain his highest score in Test Cricket. He may be able to score couple of 200s but a 400 ?? I say never.

Waughney

International Debutant
blackcapsrule said:
Yes, I don't think he would have the guts to get in against the Zims or someone. It is to easy.
He's not playing against Zimbabwe this season.

masterblaster

International Captain
Sanz said:
VVS is a highly overrated batsman. He gives too many chances early in his innings, a very poor runner between the wickets, doesn't have the power and strength in his batting.

My prediction is 281 will remain his highest score in Test Cricket. He may be able to score couple of 200s but a 400 ?? I say never.
Who's to say Sanz, certainly not you. He doesn't need to run hard between the wickets, when he is the most elegant batsman in the world, as all his beautifully stylish strokes always are timed perfectly to the boundary.

:D 8-) :p

On a serious note, he has a lot of stamina. As those 10 Ranji 100's in 10 games will prove with a highest score of 353 will prove.

In International games, 3 ODI centuries in One Week during the VB Series in Australia.

Massively Overrated?

Yeah Right!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
MB, I have as much right to have my opinion as you. If you think he is the greatest batsmen after Bradman then good for you keep living in your dream world.

Just because Laxman can score runs in fours doesn't mean he does not need to improve his running. He along with Sourav are worst runners in our team. Laxman not only needs to improve his running but also his fielding and catching. If he doesn't then he should be ready to be dropped from ODIs.Remember World Cup he where he was dropped in favor of Dinesh Mongia ? Remember Dravid was dropped once too for his slow batting.

As for his 3 ODI centuries in one week, well yeah it really improved his average from 28 to 30+ but take a look at his career and strike rate and compare it to other Indian and Austalian Batsmen and you will know what I am talking about.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, I know what your talking about Sanz. But this is test cricket we're talking about here, which fits Laxman perfectly.

He can go better than 281 in Test Cricket, so why is ODI cricket being brought into the equation. I think he's a fine player, but for you to show that I think he's better than Bradman is pretty ridiculous.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:
Yeah, I know what your talking about Sanz. But this is test cricket we're talking about here, which fits Laxman perfectly.

He can go better than 281 in Test Cricket, so why is ODI cricket being brought into the equation.
You are the one who brought up ODI cricket by saying this :-

masterblaster said:
In International games, 3 ODI centuries in One Week during the VB Series in Australia.

Massively Overrated?

Yeah Right!
Let me guess, It is allright If you to bring ODIs to prove your point, but its not okay If I make a comment on ODIs. 8-)

I never said Laxman is not a fine batsman, IMO he is a decent batsmen who is inconsistent and gives too many chances initially when he comes into bat. IMO he is overrated only because of his exploits against the best team in the world. First Class scores dont mean much to me esp in India,WV Raman Lamba etc come to mind, they scored tons of runs in domestic cricket too. How many of them scored 400+ ? NONE.

I dont think Laxman will make another score of 281+ again, If he does, hey good for Indian team, I will be glad to be proved wrong.Also not to forget that Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid and now Yuvraj who will be sharing the scoring load and that's another reason why I think Laxman will not cross 281.

biased indian

International Coach
tooextracool said:
highly unlikely that he'll score 400 and yet put the team in with a chance of winning especially considering that he bats at 6....
May be to save the game in 3rd inngs when the team needs him

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly and that IMO is very unlikely with Dravid and Tendulkar (to some extent) in the team.

chicane

State Captain
Sanz said:
You are the one who brought up ODI cricket by saying this :-

Let me guess, It is allright If you to bring ODIs to prove your point, but its not okay If I make a comment on ODIs. 8-)

I never said Laxman is not a fine batsman, IMO he is a decent batsmen who is inconsistent and gives too many chances initially when he comes into bat. IMO he is overrated only because of his exploits against the best team in the world. First Class scores dont mean much to me esp in India,WV Raman Lamba etc come to mind, they scored tons of runs in domestic cricket too. How many of them scored 400+ ? NONE.

I dont think Laxman will make another score of 281+ again, If he does, hey good for Indian team, I will be glad to be proved wrong.Also not to forget that Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid and now Yuvraj who will be sharing the scoring load and that's another reason why I think Laxman will not cross 281.
Sanz 281 is not a joke. It is massive and against the best attack at that time. He's got other big scores as well, he's got this ability to make big scores. I think right now he's in even better form than 2001 and is looking like building an outstanding career. Although 400 is such a figure that you can't say for sure that anyone will do it (except BCL :cool: ), VVS has it in him for big scores, who knows?

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Lara scored the 400 with a SR of 70. It's not that hard but he'd have to get support and he'd have to hope that Dravid isn't captain to declare him on 399*.

India play Bangladesh later this year or early next year i believe. there's an opportunity although i don't know how widely respected it would be. As for Lara getting to a Test Match 400 or breaking his record again....well (and i know i'd get blows for this) i don't think it'll happen again for him.

blackcapsrule

State 12th Man
tooextracool said:
No. It would be very difficult to score 400 at number 6. Maybe a batting raise in the near future.......