• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latest Review into Australian Cricket

aussie tragic

International Captain
Is that 'players pact' for real...sums up Paine's 'nice bloke' captaincy....how's that working out for test results...

Ian Chappell, Allan Border, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting must be laughing real hard at this bull**** pact

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is that 'players pact' for real...sums up Paine's 'nice bloke' captaincy....how's that working out for test results...

Ian Chappell, Allan Border, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting must be laughing real hard at this bull**** pact
I don't think they're laughing about it. They care too much about Australian cricket.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there's two sides to the suspension thing. there's the 12 month international ban thing which is ehhhhhhh, and there's the total ban from domestic cricket which never ever made sense and would be the thing reduced if a reduction takes place

wonder if it's the missing players or the nice bloke stuff that is hurting the team

cnerd123

likes this
Even if they do lift the bans right now, the damage is done. The players (mostly thinking about Smith here) will never be, or feel, the same again. There will always be a black cloud hanging over them and who knows how that they could affect their performances. It's a situation that other ball-tampering players never faced, eg. Faf, Chandimal, Sachin/Dravid etc.

I doubt every time Chandimal or Tendulkar go/went out to bat people will be thinking "ball tamperer" or "cheater", but that will follow Smith for the rest of his career. Possibly his life. All because of the actions of CA. It's messed up.
Also makes the players feel their board doesn't have their back when it comes to issues like this. Homework gate included, it makes the players feel like the board values the image they're trying to portray more than their cricket - ties into the who 'you have to be a good bloke' selection policy

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How long until a proper Sack Peever campaign starts up?
Everything will die down over Saturday. Even if we do lose to India I doubt Peever's name will be the one which sticks in peoples' minds when it comes to blame.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Whether CA has blame in it , it doesn't absolve barncroft,smith & warner (especially warner) from their actions. Smith probably deserve a reduction in his ban but the other two should serve their full sentence.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
If true the PM's involvement angers me so much. It would have been Turnbull, as vile a creature as ever leaked, plotted and back stabbed his way to high office. A **** of a man. To think such a creep would use his influence to deprive a player of a fair hearing or a just punishment is so offensive it tests reason and character to placate the feelings of loathing I have for him. Not to mention the needless suffering and financial loss Smith subsequently incurred after Turnbull's involvement.
CA is subsidised to some degree by tax payers are they not? Think I read that somewhere, I'm fairly sure that they at least pay no tax. If they receive any sort of funding or subsidy though I don't think it was completely out of Turnbull's realm of responsibility to respond to the call of tax payers wanting action. It was the blase' nature of the initial press conference from Smith and the lack of immediate action from CA that really caused the ****-storm I think - and this is really what Turnbull was responding to at the time IMO. Having said all of this I doubt his call for action was much more significant than what everyone else was saying at the time, also I don't really see how the affected players are absolved by any of these findings, they made a choice to cheat, knowing full well what they were doing. Their actions still very much violate the intended outcomes of this review, so it makes little sense to me to bring forward their return

the big bambino

International Captain
I don't know perhaps we do. Turnbull's interference was not on behalf of the tax payer but his own indulgence and as our taxes pay his wage maybe he can just pipe down. Its a stretch to think to say he was representing tax payers. Not that its an adequate reason to interfere and deny someone a fair hearing and fair punishment if found guilty.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know perhaps we do. Turnbull's interference was not on behalf of the tax payer but his own indulgence and as our taxes pay his wage maybe he can just pipe down. Its a stretch to think to say he was representing tax payers. Not that its an adequate reason to interfere and deny someone a fair hearing and fair punishment if found guilty.
This is completely overstating his role in what happened IMO, i originally brought him up as an example of the extent of public outcry at the time

the big bambino

International Captain
This is completely overstating his role in what happened IMO, i originally brought him up as an example of the extent of public outcry at the time
Geez this is stupid. Well why bring it up in the first place? You said it was in the realm of his responsibility bcos of tax payer funds subsidising CA. That's what you said. I disagree. It doesn't give him any right at all.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Geez this is stupid. Well why bring it up in the first place? You said it was in the realm of his responsibility bcos of tax payer funds subsidising CA. That's what you said. I disagree. It doesn't give him any right at all.
I brought it up to demonstrate that there was significant public shock and anger at the revelation of the cheating, and particularly in wake of both Smith and Sutherland's lack of immediate action or remorse, it is also much more significant that a PM like Turnbull was saying this rather than a Howard type, who was actually interested. I made this point to try and demonstrate that such bans may seem excessive now but a lot of people felt it was needed at the time, and there was a lot of pressure on CA to hand down stiff punishments

Turnbull was Australia's most senior elected official, calling for action from a board that governs a cricket team which represents Australia on the world stage and receives tax breaks and possible subsidies from the Australian public (someone pls confirm, I'm sure i read this recently but unable to cite), so I think he has the right to comment on and encourage action in that situation

This simply didn't happen, CA came to the actual specifics of the decision without any consultation with the government and I never argued that it did, or that it would be justified, but as the leader of the country Turnbull had a stake in the behaviour of sportspeople representing Australia.

Last edited:

Spikey

the prime minister of australia tends to commentate about major stories in australian cricket. kevin rudd moaned about usman khawaja being dudded in the 2013 ashes. i suspect in recent times the sitting prime minister has congratulated every australian captain who has retired. we have a thing called the prime minister's XI and the Australian team visits Kirribilli House on new year's day every year. i can't believe this stupid discussion is a thing. the prime minister was always going to commentate on it and I don't reckon it had any impact on the board's decision. it was an already A Thing when he commentated on it and his commentary was in line with what was being said in most quarters anyway

Last edited:

Spikey

Recommendation 43: timeouts be administrated to anyone who makes a post about the prime minister after this post

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
1. Australian cricket establish a three-person ethics commission, which would have no formal powers. Its purpose would be to hold everyone in Australian cricket “accountable to the ethical foundations for the game”

lmao

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
the prime minister of australia tends to commentate about major stories in australian cricket. kevin rudd moaned about usman khawaja being dudded in the 2013 ashes. i suspect in recent times the sitting prime minister has congratulated every australian captain who has retired. we have a thing called the prime minister's XI and the Australian team visits Kirribilli House on new year's day every year. i can't believe this stupid discussion is a thing. the prime minister was always going to commentate on it and I don't reckon it had any impact on the board's decision. it was an already A Thing when he commentated on it and his commentary was in line with what was being said in most quarters anyway
Agreed, his statement just showed how widespread the anger and disillusionment was at the time, it had no impact on the severity of punishments or anything but it sent the message that the Australian public expected action from CA IMO