• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli Equals Border - 32 Test wins as captain

cpr

International Coach
I was referring more to Cricket. But consider our dominance of sports generally compared to our modest population, and the statistics tell you we achieve abnormal levels of success.
Unless it involves a bigger ball, when you're somehow behind New Zealand and/or Wales
The Commonwealth games, anyone?
I mean fair, you did get 17,000 medals last time, mainly in swimming. For an island surrounded by sharks I'd expect you to be pretty nifty at that, but a competition where 2/3rds of the world can't enter is probably not the one to offer as an example of sporting prowess. You're not American ffs.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless it involves a bigger ball, when you're somehow behind New Zealand and/or Wales
The issue there is obvious though, a man in charge with bad ideas brought down a team with good ideas and undeniable skill.

DriveClub

International Regular
Imo aussie sports fans are the snobbiest I've ever seen. An aussie sports fan will only watch the highest quality of sports and has high ideals of the line, nobility and bravery. Absolute bull****, get off your high horse, you're irrelevant.

Gnske

Imo aussie sports fans are the snobbiest I've ever seen. An aussie sports fan will only watch the highest quality of sports and has high ideals of the line, nobility and bravery. Absolute bull****, get off your high horse, you're irrelevant.
I don't think I've ever seen a post this wrong in my life.

We watch terrible sports too, but often for the Australian influence. The energy of it you know. It's a unique thing, and I think you just need to have a cultivated and niche interest in that side of sport to truly respect it.

thierry henry

International Coach
I can't believe I'm only just learning now that that ball deflected off Ben Stokes' bat because of New Zealand's weak sporting culture.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think I've ever seen a post this wrong in my life.

We watch terrible sports too, but often for the Australian influence. The energy of it you know. It's a unique thing, and I think you just need to have a cultivated and niche interest in that side of sport to truly respect it.
This is true to an extent, but I think it's slightly more nuanced. We watch these lesser sports in those circumstances because we know the best chance for them to improve is to have more Australian influence so they are lifted from completely abject to mediocre.

Burgey

Loling @ cpr's attempts concerning Rah Rah, which is fourth in line in football codes here, and 84th in terms of care factor. Everyone with the tiniest knowledge of sport is aware a mid-table NRL side would walk the Rugby WC. There are only two things which have stopped Australia having an undefeated run in that joke of a tourney since it kicked off, and they are the fact Rugby here is played by and for wanker toffs born with a cocaine-lined silver spoon up their cloaca; and that our football playing talent is diluted across four codes instead of the maximum of two which most other nations possess. In other words, it's only our own excellence across a whole range of sports which has stopped us being even better in that one.

Not that we'd want to be. As I said, they're all private school wankers who play it here.

Burgey

It’s so much fun to play. You can basically get killed by someone hitting you from any angle

Burgey

This picture from Cessnock in 2002 amply demonstrates the masculinity and superior attitude which sets Australian cricketers and sportspeople apart from those of weaker nations.

FTR, the batsman's only looking over his shoulder because the keeper has moved third man a bit finer.

Gnske

I can't believe I'm only just learning now that that ball deflected off Ben Stokes' bat because of New Zealand's weak sporting culture.
This post has had me thinking all day, and despite this being a joke, it's actually true when you consider it closely. Here's why.

Stokes plays the game the Australian way when you think about his success. Exciting, brutal, rough, tough and without boredom. His 258 reminded me of David Warner because it oozed so much personal class.

Think about it, his New Zealand side isn't there, the self-deprecation and eternal depression that are the hallmarks of the history of the Black Caps. And the apocalyptically boring tedium of his English side has been completely muted by his adoption of the Australian method.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This post has had me thinking all day, and despite this being a joke, it's actually true when you consider it closely. Here's why.

Stokes plays the game the Australian way when you think about his success. Exciting, brutal, rough, tough and without boredom. His 258 reminded me of David Warner because it oozed so much personal class.

Think about it, his New Zealand side isn't there, the self-deprecation and eternal depression that are the hallmarks of the history of the Black Caps. And the apocalyptically boring tedium of his English side has been completely muted by his adoption of the Australian method.
I think the word you are looking for is intent.

Gnske

Intent is meaningless, it's what you do that makes you good. Hitler had intent and it certainly didn't make him great.

cpr

International Coach
Loling @ cpr's attempts concerning Rah Rah, which is fourth in line in football codes here, and 84th in terms of care factor. Everyone with the tiniest knowledge of sport is aware a mid-table NRL side would walk the Rugby WC. There are only two things which have stopped Australia having an undefeated run in that joke of a tourney since it kicked off, and they are the fact Rugby here is played by and for wanker toffs born with a cocaine-lined silver spoon up their cloaca; and that our football playing talent is diluted across four codes instead of the maximum of two which most other nations possess. In other words, it's only our own excellence across a whole range of sports which has stopped us being even better in that one.

Not that we'd want to be. As I said, they're all private school wankers who play it here.
True Fact: Rugby league bosses brought in the 6 tackle rule as a way to encourage league players to try counting using fingers on both hands.

But beautiful point about too many football codes to excel in one. The Welsh, with about a quarter of your population (but only half of your rampant desire for sheep), beat you in 2 out of the 3 they play, and no one else plays the 4th because were not even sure there are rules, let alone what they are.

But I was harsh with the ball game comment, you are better than most at Netball

Daemon

Intent is meaningless, it's what you do that makes you good. Hitler had intent and it certainly didn't make him great.
Hitler was certainly great in some aspects, and he wouldn’t have been great in those aspects if he didn’t have intent.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Kohli is the fastest to 5000 test runs as captain(86 inns). TOTAB is second slowest(116 inns).

Kohli now has 27 hundreds in 141 inns. TOTAB has 27 in 265.