• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kippax's Firebirds and Wellington Club Cricket Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Ravindra was back hitting balls and bowling his left-arm spin in the nets (article written early Feb) and the Firebirds hadn’t ruled out him returning later this season before surgery if it was deemed safe. “I don’t know if it’s realistic but I don’t want to rule it out,” said Pocknall.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No Vishvaka on today's team sheet.

The next Plunket Shield round has ND at the Basin btw. A short ball spell of international quality from Wagner could make for a very tough (frankly too tough) first-class debut for Vishvaka I think, because he did need to improve that area a bit. His trademark of shuffling down the pitch early at medium pacers to launch into his drives would quickly have ND quite keen to give him the working over they were seen giving Rippon and Chu in November.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Greenwood and Vishvaka are turning up some consistent numbers this season. I can't see Vishvaka making the firebirds squad yet but I can certainly see Greenwood provided opportunities the next season. I think Greenwood was in the squad few times this season but as a 12th man.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
There's the old Vishvaka trademark of a shuffle down the pitch looking to launch a big drive against a 120kph man, but it can sometimes prove his undoing. Out for 131 off 130.

Weerasundara on 79*.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Taita have resorted to a man just wearing a smashed drive to the body to try and shut Benton and Weerasundara (126*) down in Raki's favourite scoring zone. The outfield just seems to be too quick to do it any other way.

Last edited:

nzfan

Taita have resorted to a man just wearing a smashed drive to the body to try and shut Benton and Weerasundara (126*) down in Raki's favourite scoring zone. The outfield just seems to be too quick to do it any other way.

The jville ground is quite short on three sides. The straight is like 40 meters. Couldn't they find a better ground to play the club finals at.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes it could just purely be because the Basin is looking very dry and tired this time. Not a long-term change of approach to give the top qualifier home advantage.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Captain Weerasundara's first 150 score in any format over his nine seasons of senior club cricket for Johnsonville, I believe. Does really enjoy a dry and fatigued late March or April pitch block. Even the Australia U19 bowlers from years ago could tell you that.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
That No. 11 Hudson had one ball to survive the over, but went for a dopey pull shot instead. Weerasundara 199* in the end.

nzfan

That No. 11 Hudson had one ball to survive the over, but went for a dopey pull shot instead. Weerasundara 199* in the end.
Bugger.. That's some knock to remember then like Martin Crowe 299

I still think Weerasundara is a very capable batsman. Hoping he's resurrected and get him to play for firebirds next season.

If he was about to give up on that dream this should help him motivate.

nzfan

Yes it could just purely be because the Basin is looking very dry and tired this time. Not a long-term change of approach to give the top qualifier home advantage.
Why not Karori park? Neutral ground and a first class ground at that.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they look down on Karori Park still after all the problems six years ago.

"It is quite a difficult park in winter and summer because it's not great soil," said Andrews.

"We've done a lot of drainage work, following on from last summer when we had some water problems. You know, we've done what New Zealand Cricket asked and we've done gravel-banding and these sorts of things but it's a pretty challenging park."

Kelburn Park seems to be where Wgtn A try to take a home game now.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sweet and comprehensive revenge for Johnsonville has been achieved, seeing Taita really trounced them in this season's final of the 50-over format. Taita were in a tight relegation battle with Easts this time last year though (prematurely ended by level 4 lockdown), so a very pleasing rise in fortunes for that club.