• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil vs Kohli

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Kohli 4th Best ODI Batsman after Sachin, Viv and AB
Kapil 5th Best ODI cricketer after Akram, Sachin, Viv and Dhoni
Nope. Kapil is great, one of the greatest, not better than Kohli. Pollock is a greater all rounder. No way is Kapil is better odi cricketer than Murali, McGrath, Kohli, Garner, atleast in my books. For god’s sake, Kohli scored 11,000 runs in the 2010s at an average of 61, striking at 94. Averages 47+ in all countries, arguably the best chaser ever by a distance. I actually rank Kohli equal to Devilliers. Kohli purely in terms of run accumulation and average is better than ABD(ans ABD’s batting averages are sub 40 in Eng and SL), although AB has a better SR, but he got to bat below 4 more than Kohli, and at 4 also more. AB’s SR at 4 is also 98, not 100+. AB’s superior WC record in his favour and hence they are equal for me. Kohli needs one big WC and he is up there with Viv. Kapil is one of the great ODI allrounders and was fantastic between 81-91, 26 with bat and 27 with ball, but how often do you see a batsmen averaging 61 for a decade in ODIs with a perfect record everywhere, and acing some of the most insane chases ever. Whenever making an ODI XI, Kohli is a general lock in the XI Will Sachin, Viv, Garner and McGrath. Kapil(who is in my XI) isn’t a lock for 7 or any position that clearly and that widely. My top 12 ODI cricketers:
Viv
Sachin
Pollock
Garner
McGrath
Virat/ABD
Akram
Dhoni
Murali
Kapil
Bevan

Last edited:

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Kapil is not as perfect in ODIs as say Sobers or Imran in tests, as he was an unreliable(through explosive like one at his time)batsmen, who could bat in lower middle order only, and isn’t an ATG ODI bowler, though in the second tier. Kohli is an ATG batsmen who could end up being the ODI GOAT

Sunil1z

International Regular
Kapil is not as perfect in ODIs as say Sobers or Imran in tests, as he was an unreliable(through explosive like one at his time)batsmen, who could bat in lower middle order only, and isn’t an ATG ODI bowler, though in the second tier. Kohli is an ATG batsmen who could end up being the ODI GOAT
Please don’t waste your time about Kapil with PFK . He has 4 Kapil posters in his room on all the 4 walls .

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Nope. Kapil is great, one of the greatest, not better than Kohli. Pollock is a greater all rounder. No way is Kapil is better odi cricketer than Murali, McGrath, Kohli, Garner, atleast in my books. For god’s sake, Kohli scored 11,000 runs in the 2010s at an average of 61, striking at 94. Averages 47+ in all countries, arguably the best chaser ever by a distance. I actually rank Kohli equal to Devilliers. Kohli purely in terms of run accumulation and average is better than ABD(ans ABD’s batting averages are sub 40 in Eng and SL), although AB has a better SR, but he got to bat below 4 more than Kohli, and at 4 also more. AB’s SR at 4 is also 98, not 100+. AB’s superior WC record in his favour and hence they are equal for me. Kohli needs one big WC and he is up there with Viv. Kapil is one of the great ODI allrounders and was fantastic between 81-91, 26 with bat and 27 with ball, but how often do you see a batsmen averaging 61 for a decade in ODIs with a perfect record everywhere, and acing some of the most insane chases ever. Whenever making an ODI XI, Kohli is a general lock in the XI Will Sachin, Viv, Garner and McGrath. Kapil(who is in my XI) isn’t a lock for 7 or any position that clearly and that widely. My top 12 ODI cricketers:
Viv
Sachin
Pollock
Garner
McGrath
Virat/ABD
Akram
Dhoni
Murali
Kapil
Bevan
Kohli played in an easier period compared to AB.
Murali is lucky to get bracketed with other 11 players in your list.. He has longevity and wickets.. But nowhere near impactful as others. ( Saqlain easily better.. Not to mention pacers like Donald, Starc.. Etc )
Pollock was not even best player of his own team.. Donald and Klusner were better.

Akram, Sachin, Viv, Dhoni, Kapil
ABDV, Garner, Kohli, Gilly, Mcgrath
Klusner, Donald, Starc, Jayasuriya, Pollock
( Hadlee and Imran would have been better than Pollock if played in 90s and 00s.. I guess )

Last edited:

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Kohli played in an easier period compared to AB.
Murali is lucky to get bracketed with other 11 players in your list.. He has longevity and wickets.. But nowhere near impactful as others. ( Saqlain easily better.. Not to mention pacers like Donald, Starc.. Etc )
Pollock was not even best player of his own team.. Donald and Klusner were better.
AB’s peak was from 2009-2018: 7000+ runs@62 SR 107
Virat’s scores from 2009-2018: 10000+ runs@61 SR 93.5
AB debuted 3 years before Kohli, and only started playing quite well since 2009. No Donald and Pollack can compared as bowlers, but Pollock far superior batsmen, vica vera reason for why Pollock is better than Klusener. Murali has taken double the wickets Saqlain has, and difference in average is less than 1.5. Saqlain has better SR, but Murali despite towards the end of his career bowling in a batsmen friendly era, has a lesser ER. Murali has thrice the wickets Saqlain does in WCs at a better average, better ER and more or less same SR.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
AB debuted 3 years before Kohli, and only started playing quite well since 2009. No Donald and Pollack can compared as bowlers, but Pollock far superior batsmen, vica vera reason for why Pollock is better than Klusener. Murali has taken double the wickets Saqlain has, and difference in average is less than 1.5. Saqlain has better SR, but Murali despite towards the end of his career bowling in a batsmen friendly era, has a lesser ER. Murali has thrice the wickets Saqlain does in WCs at a better average, better ER and more or less same SR.
2009-2017
Kohli 57 at 92
ABDV 64 at 107

Abdv started declining in mid 2010s. Kohli's avg is probably best ever in the history, But his Strike Rate is nowhere near Viv, AB and Sachin. Those 3 maintained mega strike rate while averaging far more than most of other batsmen in the world.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Kohli’s SR batting at 3 is perfectly fine and not a disadvantage. Only in Viv’s case, the SR factor has a value. AB played at five a lot more than Kohli and at 4 a lot more as well, that is why he has a better career strike rate. His SR at 3 and 4 was similars to Kohli. Sachin and Kohli’s era adjusted strike rates will be similar(86 and 93). But I regard Sachin as a better ODI player anyways, for other reasons. But SR nowhere near Sachin, I disagree.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Murali vs Saqlain is like Dravid vs Kallis in ODIs.. Dravid was clearly a better batsman compared to Kallis.. But if you look at plain stats.. Picture will be different.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Stats are a relatively objective way of rating players, especially if Murali trumps Saqlain in each stat.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Kohli’s SR batting at 3 is perfectly fine and not a disadvantage. Only in Viv’s case, the SR factor has a value. AB played at five a lot more than Kohli and at 4 a lot more as well, that is why he has a better career strike rate. His SR at 3 and 4 was similars to Kohli. Sachin and Kohli’s era adjusted strike rates will be similar(86 and 93). But I regard Sachin as a better ODI player anyways, for other reasons. But SR nowhere near Sachin, I disagree.
Sachin's SR was clearly a league ahead of Kohli's. ( Sachin was the most aggressive batsman in the world at times )
Kohli's SR is fine.. its excellent actually, but those threee were simply better. ( Sachin, Viv, AB )
Kohli's era adjusted SR will be good enough to compared with post 2000 Accumulator Sachin SR. 90s Sachin was a league above.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Sachin's SR was clearly a league ahead of Kohli's. ( Sachin was the most aggressive batsman in the world at times )
Kohli's SR is fine.. its excellent actually, but those threee were simply better. ( Sachin, Viv, AB )
Kohli's era adjusted SR will be good enough to compared with post 2000 Accumulator Sachin SR. 90s Sachin was a league above.
Well if you want to break it down that way, Kohli was slightly slow for the first 4 years, after that his SR is 96, which clearly comparable to the era adjusted 1990-1999 SR of Tendulkar(86), and will be slightly ahead of his 2000-2012 SR of 85.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
From 2016-20, Virat has 5209 runs @ an average of 76, SR 99. 2014-20: 8154@64, SR 97. Crazy numbers.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Stats are a relatively objective way of rating players, especially if Murali trumps Saqlain in each stat.
Saqlain has better average, Better SR, Better WPM ( even with mega competition from ATG pacers ) better 4 wickets and 5 wickets ratio..

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Gibbs had a good SR as well and like Sachin he faced quality bowlers.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Saqlain has better average, Better SR, Better WPM ( even with mega competition from ATG pacers ) better 4 wickets and 5 wickets ratio..
There is a negligible average difference of less than1.5. Both are sub 23.5, only that Murali took twice the wickets that Saqlain. Murali’s WC records are in most ways better than Saqlain.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
There is a negligible average difference of less than1.5. Both are sub 23.5, only that Murali took twice the wickets that Saqlain. Murali’s WC records are in most ways better than Saqlain.
Saqlain was lethal
Murali was bowling equivalent of Amla.