• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil vs Kohli

BazBall21

International Regular
Kapil had 2 peaks with the bowling alone, early in his career.

Peak 1 : 27 tests 118 wickets @ 23
Peak 2: 19 tests 80 wickets @ 23

Not to mention that he contributed with the bat as well during this period. So not sure Kohli had a better peak. May be he came close in the 2016-2019 period. Also, it needs to be said that Kapil had nothing going for him as far as bowling support is concerned. Kohli too had a few series where he carried the batting on his shoulders, but nothing close to the duration that Kapil had to, in bowling.

Kapil is clearly ahead as the greater cricketer, though Kohli can come close if he can shed his frustrating decline and reverse his fortunes in the twilight years of his career.
Yeah unsupportive home conditions, inadequate bowling support and a poorly managed workload hindered Kapil.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
ODIs
Kapil Dev > Kohli
Kind of Akram vs ABDV comparison

Tests
Kapil Dev >> Kohli
Equivalent of Botham vs Younis Khan comparison

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Also he's not better than Kohli anywhere except NZ but who cares about that. Kohli is the fourth best Indian batsman away. Almost no touring batsman has been that good in SA let alone Asian batsmen (except Tendulkar).
Feel different about Tendulkar. Every now and then we get excited about youngsters who look like they are in the same league and then as time passes the gap simply increases. The longevity and consistency of Tendulkar is just unmatched. I remember people talking about Kohli being better than Sachin just a couple of years ago and now here we are.

cnerd123

likes this
Kohli doesn't get into India's ATG XI because Sachin is already a lock at 4 and I refuse to pick a player for a position they barely ever played in. Especially if they're going up against an ATG attack.

cnerd123

likes this
He’d be playing 5, not opening. This is dumb.
your face is dumb

Kohli has 28 innings with an average of only 40.80 at number 5.

Many cricketers don't average as much in positions outside of their preferred one, even if the whole middle order seems the same to us armchair casuals. It's an actual factor. Can't just write it off IMO.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
your face is dumb

Kohli has 28 innings with an average of only 40.80 at number 5.

Many cricketers don't average as much in positions outside of their preferred one, even if the whole middle order seems the same to us armchair casuals. It's an actual factor. Can't just write it off IMO.
There is no difference in skills required batting 4 or 5. It can be written off because it's stupid.

cnerd123

likes this
Can't wait for cnerd to double down on yet another poor argument
bro dropping down two spots in wheelie bin **** turned you from a virtual tail-ender to nearly averaging 100. don't lie to me that batting position doesn't matter

it's fine if you all wanna be wrong about this, but I'd rather pick players for an ATG XI based on what they've actually done in the role/position I'm selecting them for.