• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil vs Kohli

Sunil1z

International Regular
Also he's not better than Kohli anywhere except NZ but who cares about that. Kohli is the third best Indian batsman away. Almost no touring batsman has been that good in SA let alone Asian batsmen (except Tendulkar).
Are you forgetting about Mohinder Amaranth(3rd best batsman away) ? He is one of the rare Asian cricketers whose overall average takes a hit because of not so good home average.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
. Almost no touring batsman has been that good in SA let alone Asian batsmen (except Tendulkar).
4th imo. I have a hard time putting him ahead of Dravid even though Dravid was terrible in SA. If kohli was marginally better in eng/nz I'd rank him higher,but his weakness to lateral movement has always been glaring.

Kohli's record in SA definitely a huge point in his favour though. All other Asian atg batsmen (Dravid, inzi, sanga, younis) found it extremely tough going in sa. And kohli' s made runs on some nightmare pitches there.

BazBall21

International Regular
Kohli v Root overseas is actually close imo. Root is more consistent and hasn’t suffered the extent of Kohli’s troughs, but Kohli has hit the greater heights.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are you forgetting about Mohinder Amaranth(3rd best batsman away) ? He is one of the rare Asian crickets whose overall average takes a hit because of not so good home average.
4th imo. I have a hard time putting him ahead of Dravid even though Dravid was terrible in SA. If kohli was marginally better in eng/nz I'd rank him higher,but his weakness to lateral movement has always been glaring.
I miscounted. He's definitely nowhere near Dravid but Dravid is special and a titan. Dunno about Amaranth. Definitely better than VVS and closer to the best for Asian batsmen tho.

BazBall21

International Regular
I miscounted. He's definitely nowhere near Dravid but Dravid is special and a titan. Dunno about Amaranth. Definitely better than VVS and closer to the best for Asian batsmen tho.
Amarnath in WI/Pak/Aus vs Kohli in SA/Aus/Eng would actually be close. Gavaskar had a few issues overseas that aren’t reflected in immediate averages but he’s still probably ahead of Kohli.

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Kohli is a pioneer of Indian cricket, people will only realise his contribution once he retires .The instance on five bowler strategy, fitness requirements on the Indian team, his captaincy record , most double hundreds by an Indian player he definitely gets into an ATG test line up for India

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Kohli had the better peak. Kapil probably just ahead overall.
Kapil had 2 peaks with the bowling alone, early in his career.

Peak 1 : 27 tests 118 wickets @ 23
Peak 2: 19 tests 80 wickets @ 23

Not to mention that he contributed with the bat as well during this period. So not sure Kohli had a better peak. May be he came close in the 2016-2019 period. Also, it needs to be said that Kapil had nothing going for him as far as bowling support is concerned. Kohli too had a few series where he carried the batting on his shoulders, but nothing close to the duration that Kapil had to, in bowling.

Kapil is clearly ahead as the greater cricketer, though Kohli can come close if he can shed his frustrating decline and reverse his fortunes in the twilight years of his career.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Kohli is a pioneer of Indian cricket, people will only realise his contribution once he retires .The instance on five bowler strategy, fitness requirements on the Indian team, his captaincy record , most double hundreds by an Indian player he definitely gets into an ATG test line up for India
his captaincy was a mixed bag... the away tour wins in Australia are huge and I guess he can claim England as a win on technicalities but we also squandered chances in SA and England 2018 when his idiotic team selection set us back. Could argue that NZ away was also a winnable test series

we wouldn't have been this competitive without his insistence on fitness and pace bowlers to step up so props to him for that

BazBall21

International Regular
India were always a considerably better all-round team than NZ but peak NZ were the best team in lateral movement-orientated conditions.

Last edited: