• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson vs Joe Root

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

Socerer 01

International Captain
Root would need a consistent spell of his current mediocrity and a mix of the time when he couldnt convert a 50 for Kane to be his equal

Flem274*

123/5
If KW only scores runs on home motorways to the extent spouted in this thread then I guess Southee/Boult/Wagner are the best attack in the world.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sample size of 4. Not as bad as your Kallis isn't an allrounder take though.
Part of a much larger data set though i.e every poll involving a kiwi cricketer on here. That gives it a much more noteworthy sample size than Bond in tests.

Mike5181

International Captain
Part of a much larger data set though i.e every poll involving a kiwi cricketer on here. That gives it a much more noteworthy sample size than Bond in tests.
We actually watched him play, of course we're going to have a different perspective than a 12 year old combing through statistics on cricinfo.

Flem274*

123/5
The answer to the thread is Root I think. His second peak is not just statistically incredible, he also scored a lot of those runs batting like a dick.

His first ball of the day switch hit to Southee six is the most emasculating shot I have ever seen. If you don't get him within the next 6 balls, just retire in shame.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
If KW only scores runs on home motorways to the extent spouted in this thread then I guess Southee/Boult/Wagner are the best attack in the world.
Jadeja is the best bat in the world etc
The bigger issue with Kane is minnow bashing. His recent run is largely down to pummelling **** attacks/teams

Slifer

International Captain
Williamson has gone up a level I feel the Australian series is where he leaves no doubt on who the best test batsman in the world is.
It won't for me. I NZ has tour of India later this year. Assuming India has any three of the following: Shami, Bumrah, Jadeja, Ashwin, Siraj, Yadav, and Kane does well, then and only then will I rate Kane.

Slifer

International Captain
He's great and all but where would you have us rate him? Above Smith? Hell to the no.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
The guy is averaging 56 and is that fastest batsmen of all time to 32 hundreds but people still don’t rate him lol
I rate him, I’d say he’s the most in form batsman in the world currently. We’re talking careers though, and you’re getting too caught up in the moment.

ftr Kane in his last 5 series (beginning boxing day 2022): 10 matches 1298 runs @ 86.53, 8 tons, more than twice that of any other player. So yes, very understandable to be on the Kane train

I’d say he’s around the same level as Sanga, Kallis, and Dravid or at least he will be by the end of his career
He could be. But he’s not yet. Neither is Root. Rating a player on their possible future isn’t wise.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
I rate him, I’d say he’s the most in form batsman in the world currently. We’re talking careers though, and you’re getting too caught up in the moment.

ftr Kane in his last 5 series (beginning boxing day 2022): 10 matches 1298 runs @ 86.53, 8 tons, more than twice that of any other player. So yes, very understandable to be on the Kane train

He could be. But he’s not yet. Neither is Root.
Yea insane run of form. 11 hundreds in his 18 tests.
Fair enough if you want to wait till the end of his career. It would take a terrible decline for him to not at that level.