• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson vs Joe Root

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
I reckon a lot of fans just can't help but look at his stats and think he sucks away. Which he doesn't.

He sucked for the first few years of his career (at home too) but played far more away Tests proportionately than anyone really understands. NZ Test scheduling is far more erratic than AU/IND/Eng. I'm not saying he lights the world on fire away, he has a great record in Pakistan, the UAE and Australia, a poor record in England and India, and then an awful record in SL. Though there is also the grain of salt that he has only 2-3 Tests in the last 10 years in some of those places.

Does he have a weakness to a swinging ball? Who the **** doesn't but the swinging ball is also the biggest weapon IN New Zealand.

Kane 23 and younger
17 Home Tests (averages 43)
21 Away/Neutral (averages 38.8)

Smith 23 and younger
3 Home Tests (averages 31.80)
5 Away/Neutral (averages 32.63)

Joe Root 23 and younger
13 Home Tests (averages 64.71)
8 Away (averages 28.69)

Virat Kohli 23 and younger
3 Home Tests (averages 81.75)
7 Away (28.92)

Kane 24 and older
34 Home Tests (averages 81+) - 17 100s
30 Away/Neutral (averages 50.6) 8 - 100s

Smith 24 and older
50 Home Tests (averages 65) 16- 100s
50 Away/Neutral (56.23) 16 - 100s

Joe Root 24 and older
58 Home Tests (averages 58.89) 13 -100s
58 Away/Neutral (averages 47.43) 12 - 100s

Virat Kohli 24 and older
47 Home Tests (averages 58.72) 13-100s
56 Away/Neutral (averages 44.16) 14 - 100s

Flem274*

123/5
Doesn't he have a ton in every country bar SA?

Like, sure you can look at his average in SL from 4 tests, but his ton in one of them was a deciding factor in the win.

Same for England. Ton at Lord's and was the best batsman in the WTC final because of his prowess against the moving ball against an arguable best attack in the world compared to the other players, and there were some big names in both sides.

But in this sub, no one watches cricket sooo

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I reckon a lot of fans just can't help but look at his stats and think he sucks away. Which he doesn't.

He sucked for the first few years of his career (at home too) but played far more away Tests proportionately than anyone really understands. NZ Test scheduling is far more erratic than AU/IND/Eng. I'm not saying he lights the world on fire away, he has a great record in Pakistan, the UAE and Australia, a poor record in England and India, and then an awful record in SL. Though there is also the grain of salt that he has only 2-3 Tests in the last 10 years in some of those places.

Does he have a weakness to a swinging ball? Who the **** doesn't but the swinging ball is also the biggest weapon IN New Zealand.

Kane 23 and younger
17 Home Tests (averages 43)
21 Away/Neutral (averages 38.8)

Smith 23 and younger
3 Home Tests (averages 31.80)
5 Away/Neutral (averages 32.63)

Joe Root 23 and younger
13 Home Tests (averages 64.71)
8 Away (averages 28.69)

Virat Kohli 23 and younger
3 Home Tests (averages 81.75)
7 Away (28.92)

Kane 24 and older
34 Home Tests (averages 81+) - 17 100s
30 Away/Neutral (averages 50.6) 8 - 100s

Smith 24 and older
50 Home Tests (averages 65) 16- 100s
50 Away/Neutral (56.23) 16 - 100s

Joe Root 24 and older
58 Home Tests (averages 58.89) 13 -100s
58 Away/Neutral (averages 47.43) 12 - 100s

Virat Kohli 24 and older
47 Home Tests (averages 58.72) 13-100s
56 Away/Neutral (averages 44.16) 14 - 100s
This feels like a desperate attempt from a Kane fanboy to break down stats into chunks that suit him.

Thing is (as not a Kane fanboy), I think you are right. The dude has been ****ed By timing. And you should be breaking down his career somewhat. The ****er averages 56, despite timing problems.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This feels like a desperate attempt from a Kane fanboy to break down stats into chunks that suit him.

Thing is (as not a Kane fanboy), I think you are right. The dude has been ****ed By timing. And you should be breaking down his career somewhat. The ****er averages 56, despite timing problems.
It's frustrating how few Tests we play honestly. While early career impact is going to occur across the majority of players, it feels like hes been robbed of at least 1-2 series vs every opposition.

I want to see it! Unquestionably our greatest batsman ever and we get a schedule of only a handful of Tests a year. It sucks.

Bolo.

It's frustrating how few Tests we play honestly. While early career impact is going to occur across the majority of players, it feels like hes been robbed of at least 1-2 series vs every opposition.

I want to see it! Unquestionably our greatest batsman ever and we get a schedule of only a handful of Tests a year. It sucks.
As a South African, I'm really starting to sympathize.

And, yes.

BazBall21

Oh no, your board makes all the money because the hog all the rich opponents, how awful for you.
Yeah, I will write an apology on behalf of the ECB next time. And request that England start helping New Zealand out by actually touring there every once in a while

Oh wait.

Athlai

Not Terrible
WTC being held in England at Lords is okay IMO.

I think it'd be even better if it rotated by when given Test status (or readmission) Also obv if by the time it gets to Zimbabwe they no longer play Tests, just skip them. Also I'm going to put Afghanistan there without caveat because I'm an optimist.

So each new championship would have a different host country

England
Australia
West Indies < - if we started doing that from the getgo, this is where the next final would be held
New Zealand
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
South Africa
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh
Ireland
Afghanistan

England

etc

BazBall21

The topic was purely results. I didn't say England aren't privileged on a wider scale. I only said the WTC rankings aren't objectively reliable.

I'm also not a big fan of the final being held in England. The conditions aren't neutral enough and having it there every time aggravates this. Good crowd at least.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Could be a good excuse for the host country to show off and make it a bit more of a festival atmosphere - and the countries where you wouldn't get a giant crowd in for a potentially neutral Test would be like NZ at the Basin which would have a very good crowd in a scenic place with plenty of history. Would be nice honestly.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Over the last 10 years

One of them has averaged 50.90 with 28 100s from 123 tests, whilst the other has averaged 66.35 with 27 100s from 67 tests.