• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kagiso Rabada

Kagiso Rabada to take 300 test wickets

• Total voters

Sacricketfan

Cricket Spectator
IMHO, Viljeon, Morris just won't make it at the international level. Both are just not consistent enough for the international level. Morris could cut it as a T20 player though. Hendricks isn't special either. And Parnell has been a huge disappointment considering all the talent which he showed initially.

The SA selectors should plan for the future and set their sights on Dry, Dupavillion and Savage as the fast bowlers to accompany Rabada. Dupavillion will be the next Steyn, being a skiddy bowler who bowls full and fast swingers. Savage, the next Morkel being a beanpole himself who likes to hit back of a length at good pace. Dry could play a role similar to Philander.

Sacricketfan

Cricket Spectator
I still see a role for De Lange though in the SA setup. There is something distinctly awkward about facing a guy who bowls at 150 with a runup as big as Chris Harris.

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Its all going to come down to how South Africa use him. With no Steyn, Phillander or Morkel in a few years, you could see this guy having to carry the attack at 22. If thats how they go, chances are he picks up a few injuries along the way

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Its all going to come down to how South Africa use him. With no Steyn, Phillander or Morkel in a few years, you could see this guy having to carry the attack at 22. If that's how they go, chances are he picks up a few injuries along the way
I think that people are under-estimating how long Steyn, Philander and Morkel are going to be around for.... I think that Steyn in particular will be around till at least 35. He probably will not be the leader of the attack at that stage but he will definitely be playing a mentor role. I personally don't see 2 additional (not including Rabada) SA bowlers coming up through the ranks to replace him outright, in the next couple of years (Sorry I`m not a big Abbott fan). I think similar for Philander and Morkel. Obviously all 3 will become more injury prone and will need to be handled well. Steyn injuries have been few and far between, largely to do with having such a smooth action.

Philander is often talked about as being injured alot but as far as I can work out, since he started in the team. he has missed 10 games (32/42) This last year being the worst missing 2 matches in India and 4 matches against England make up 6 of those. So until mid-India he was 32/36. I think for ODI stuff it possibly worse though...

So ultimately I think Rabada by 23ish may be the main attacking weapon he will still have good support and should not be run into the ground...

Stefan9

International Debutant
Proteas

Rabada looks set for county stint

2016-02-02 08:38

Cape Town - It appears that Kagiso Rabada's hopes of playing English county cricket will be realised sooner rather than later after reports suggested that Durham were nearing a deal with the Proteas sensation.*

A report in the*Daily Mail*said that Rabada was being lined up by the Division One side as a possible replacement for injured Australian fast bowler John Hastings.*

Rabada, the report added, was looking to secure a contract for the first six weeks of the English summer and he felt that time on the county circuit would be more beneficial to his growth than a stint in the glamorous Indian Premier League (IPL).

Rabada took the second best match figures by a South African in Test cricket towards the end of last month - his 13/144 in the fourth Test against England catapulting the Proteas to victory.*

At just 20, he is considered one of the brightest young talents in world cricket.

Rabada looks set for county stint | Sport24

Good to see KG placing his development above ipl $$.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As long as they look after him better and don't bowl him into the ground in every game/series and then expect him to play all the shorter formats then he will be a certainty to get there. I worry about the workload they shove on him all the time. Hope I am wrong as he is a wonderful bowler and a pleasure to watch.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Cant emphasis enough on the point that along with the genuine pace, you need to be a thinking bowler in order to be successful which is often overlooked when spotting talent. Rabada still lacks a bit of control I'd say but he's still growing. In one over, the tracker showed how he planned that over to get Smith out. He bowled outside off channels mixed with towards Smith's strength and the final ball he tried to bowl fuller and get him lbw but could not control the line and Smith just about flicked him for four. Just an example that he plans and uses his head. He'll go a long way.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cant emphasis enough on the point that along with the genuine pace, you need to be a thinking bowler in order to be successful which is often overlooked when spotting talent. Rabada still lacks a bit of control I'd say but he's still growing. In one over, the tracker showed how he planned that over to get Smith out. He bowled outside off channels mixed with towards Smith's strength and the final ball he tried to bowl fuller and get him lbw but could not control the line and Smith just about flicked him for four. Just an example that he plans and uses his head. He'll go a long way.
You could see it was a plan. Faf came to speak KG the over or two before to remind him of the plan and then when they got him like they wanted to - the reaction of De Kock, Amla & Faf behind the wicket was one of **** yes it worked !

For 21 - to execute like he does. Just too sick !

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On this, that over against Voges was special. Classic example of setting the batsman up and then getting his wicket.

He's gonna be a hell of a fast bowler. As long as he avoids consistent serious injuries (hard to assess but his action doesn't seem particularly conductive to injury and his body seems solid) he should get to 300. I'm fairly confident South Africa will play over 75 Tests in the next 12 years....

listento_me

U19 Captain
I've only seen limited cricket from Rabada and now with Aus matches being on BT, I don't get to see any of this. I'll probably catch highlights on some stream but just how quick is Rabada on average?

I'm all for having a consistent seam/swing bowler but cricket is missing bowlers with genuine 90+mph speeds.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I've only seen limited cricket from Rabada and now with Aus matches being on BT, I don't get to see any of this. I'll probably catch highlights on some stream but just how quick is Rabada on average?

I'm all for having a consistent seam/swing bowler but cricket is missing bowlers with genuine 90+mph speeds.
140-150+ km/h consistent