• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kagiso Rabada

Kagiso Rabada to take 300 test wickets

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rabada is a machine. The question in my mind is when will he overtake Donald as SA's second best quick of all time. Whether he can eventually eclipse Steyn is yet to be seen but then again, I'm not entirely sure Steyn isn't a genetically engineered superhuman.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If you fit you bowl. Just keep him out the T20s that is all.
You do have to look after his workload. But he seems to be holding up well though and I think at 23 he got through that bad period of 18-23 age period where young bowlers seem to break down.

Gnske

Rabada is a machine. The question in my mind is when will he overtake Donald as SA's second best quick of all time. Whether he can eventually eclipse Steyn is yet to be seen but then again, I'm not entirely sure Steyn isn't a genetically engineered superhuman.
He'll go past Steyn, if and when he comes back I doubt he has more than a year left in him playing tests. .

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
We've had a good few fast bowlers over the years since we re-entered the arena..... long may the conveyor belt continue.

SeamUp

International Coach
Donald was never number 1?!
Was also surprised by that. When he had his peaks he must have just had someone having a better peak is all I can think of which is understandable for the 90s. His career was ATG. His peak was 895 points in November 1999 vs England.

Next highest without being Number 1 is Ntini (863) in December 2006 & Neil Adcock (840) in February 1962 which I think must have been close even with the competition he had.

Isolation I suppose Procter, van der Bijl and Le Roux had real shots at it.

Son Of Coco

I have it on good authority that his name directly translates as "no worries for the rest of your days".

burr

State Vice-Captain
Sweet

Be even better to get Nel off that list and have Procter, van der Bijl and Le Roux there. (maybe even 1 or 2 others)

Geez, SA produce some decent bowlers. Read Rabada has already taken 7 5-ers and 3 10-ers in tests. At 22. Insane.

stephen

Geez, SA produce some decent bowlers. Read Rabada has already taken 7 5-ers and 3 10-ers in tests. At 22. Insane.
Yeah honestly they have had great quicks since readmission. They've probably consistently had the best fast bowling attack in world cricket over the 25 years or so that they've been back. From Donald-Pollock-De Villiers to Donald-Pollock-Kallis to Pollock-Steyn-Ntini to Steyn-Philander-Morkel and now to Rabada-Philander-Morkel. They've had a couple of poorer third bowlers over the years, but there's generally been one or two ATG quicks backed up by an ATVG or two.

Ranking them:

Steyn
Donald
Pollock
Philander
De Villiers
Ntini
Rabada*
Morkel
Nel and the rest.

*will probably rise above Pollock.

By comparison, in that time the WI have had:

Ambrose
Walsh
Bishop

Pakistan:

Wasim
Waqar
Akhtar
Asif
Aamir

And Australia:

McGrath
Hazlewood
Gillespie
Johnson
Clark
Starc
Cummins
Lee/Kasper/Bichel

No other teams have had anywhere near the quality of quicks come through. But on the whole I'd rate South Africa's quicks as being consistently better than Australia's. The West Indies had some ATG bowlers in the 90s and nothing since. Pakistan have had some greats but a lot of mediocre bowlers and Australia have generally had a great first bowler, a very good second and a rubbish third quick. Australia's attack has been helped over the time by Warne and Lyon.