• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just out of curiosity!

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
My curiosity made me create this thread but pls I need genuine & serious answers n discussion - Wat IF an associate nation (Ireland/Kenya/Netherlands/Canada) manages to win this World Cup? Before someone starts making fun of this thread - I knw that it is 100% not possible but the term is IF. So pls throw in ur opinions. How do u think it will change the face of Cricket?

cricpk

U19 12th Man
My curiosity made me create this thread but pls I need genuine & serious answers n discussion - Wat IF an associate nation (Ireland/Kenya/Netherlands/Canada) manages to win this World Cup? Before someone starts making fun of this thread - I knw that it is 100% not possible but the term is IF. So pls throw in ur opinions. How do u think it will change the face of Cricket?
ICC will ban associates for Next World Cup.

Shri

Mr. Glass
They won't paint the town red for starters.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If it's Ireland or the Netherlands doubtless England will cherry pick the cream of the talent and they'll be back to square one.

It's an infintesimally small chance, but still a chance. Kenya made the semis in 2003 after all.

Blaze 18

Banned
If it's Ireland or the Netherlands doubtless England will cherry pick the cream of the talent and they'll be back to square one.

It's an infintesimally small chance, but still a chance. Kenya made the semis in 2003 after all.
They were quite lucky though, a number of teams forfeited matches against them.

Jacknife

International Captain

I don't know if you said this tongue in cheek, but how would England cherry pick Dutch players?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know if you said this tongue in cheek, but how would England cherry pick Dutch players?
Give 'em a passport and get 'em onboard. They already play here as non-overseas players (well RtD & Kerveezee (sp?) do) and once they've completed 5 years residence they qualify for a UK passport.

It's already happened with the Danish-born Amjad Khan.

Tongue was firmly in cheek, however.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Well RtD's South African, so surely [insert 'lolz all saffas play 4 england' joke here]

slugger

State Vice-Captain
It would be amazing, regardless of what team even becoming runners up would change the landscape of cricket forever.

it could possibly be one of the best things to happen to cricket as a whole.

soccer realised this decades ago, build the game in every nook and cranny and they'll come and come to make a diffence.

-1982 - In the World Cup, newcomers Algeria registered the second victory in the tournament by an African side, when they defeated two-time world champions West Germany 2–1.

- 1990 - In the World Cup, Cameroon defeated the holding champions Argentina in the opening match 1–0, and became the first African team to reach the quarter-finals.

- 2002 - In the World Cup opening match, Senegal defeated defending champions France 1–0. The French subsequently left the competition in the first round, winless and goalless

and of course my favorite little ole NZ is undefeated after the 2010 world cup. in the process drawing 1 - 1 with world champoins Italy

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And in spite of all that "progress" no African side has even made the semi finals in world cups yet.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Still reckon football is more prone to upsets as well as it is a shorter game (other reasons too but lets not turn it into a cricket vs. football debate) but what is the 'worst' team to ever win the football world cup?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know about World Cups but Greece in Euro 2004 was the worst nation to win a major tournament in my lifetime.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still reckon football is more prone to upsets as well as it is a shorter game (other reasons too but lets not turn it into a cricket vs. football debate) but what is the 'worst' team to ever win the football world cup?
Italy in 2006.

Awful, horrible, workmanlike, defensive, nasty, smelly team.*

But you're right; the thing that makes football most susceptible to shocks is the uniquely high premium it puts on scoring. A team snaffles a goal early doors and their keeper has a blinder/the oppo have a shooting mare and suddenly you get yerself an upset.

*EDIT: forgot cynical and diving.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
if use the soccer world cup has analogy.

yes you do get up sets, under dogs pulling off a win. It happens in the FA cup every so often aswell.

and you can say soccer is more prone to "up sets" because of the dynamics of the game. but a win is win nonetheless.

just because an african nation has not progessed to the semis doesnt give anybody the right to say they dont deserve to be there at all.

yet this is exactly what cricket is saying to the associates.