• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonny Bairstow apology thread

Shady Slim

International Coach
Nah he was a limited batsman who was also badly exposed by great attacks. He had severe back problems also so credit to him for becoming a not bad cricketer. It's just the English media overrating their own and it getting stuck. Mike Gatting is another example. Just a fat blob of mediocrity who's mentioned as an eminent player.
dude you weren’t even born and for neither was i for most of his career

like i am sure you’ve seen highlights, read widely and stuff but it is fallacy to make such a sweeping call. tbf if this is bait for english posters then gj tho

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well no it’s 3 series
If you're including the Sydney ton, that's hardly a "series." Good knock though. Would like to see him score some consistent runs on some faster decks vs some quicker blokes, but I don't think there's any doubt he's had a great come back overall.

Only reason I raise that qualification is I think they're the types of bowler and conditions where his weakness through the gate might be exploited again. I'm not trying to take away from what he's done, he's been terrific this year. TBH he's been passable-to-decent out here on two tours really, especially compared with the junk England has otherwise dished up, so it's good to see him doing well elsewhere too. The 2017-18 Ashes he averaged mid-30s but was keeping as well, so I can give him a pass mark for that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you're including the Sydney ton, that's hardly a "series." Good knock though. Would like to see him score some consistent runs on some faster decks vs some quicker blokes, but I don't think there's any doubt he's had a great come back overall.

Only reason I raise that qualification is I think they're the types of bowler and conditions where his weakness through the gate might be exploited again. I'm not trying to take away from what he's done, he's been terrific this year. TBH he's been passable-to-decent out here on two tours really, especially compared with the junk England has otherwise dished up, so it's good to see him doing well elsewhere too. The 2017-18 Ashes he averaged mid-30s but was keeping as well, so I can give him a pass mark for that.
It makes me uncomfortable when you make well thought out and even handed posts

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Probably explains that persistent discomfiture you experience on a daily basis tbh.
Ha.

in seriousness though yeah fair point on him not playing the whole Ashes, averaging 58 since his recall across the three series combined though so still think the ‘one series’ comment is not quite right. What he did in this series (aside from being remarkable in its own right) though was put to bed the idea that the tricky away tons he got during a miserable winter were a flash in the pan and instead has managed to reinvent himself and relaunch his Test career when most of us had written him off.

Burgey

Indeed.

And he must never get the gloves in a test match again. This has surely been settled now.

trundler

dude you weren’t even born and for neither was i for most of his career

like i am sure you’ve seen highlights, read widely and stuff but it is fallacy to make such a sweeping call. tbf if this is bait for english posters then gj tho
Haven't read the responses but assume it worked.

TheJediBrah

What glorification are you even talking about?

You’ve invented a straw man and are arguing with nobody. Nobody has called Athers an ATG on this forum for about 12 years and only one person did back then.

Averaging 37 as an opener in the era he played in is decent all things considered, this is literally the point.

The English media are generally terrible on most topics, but given you weren’t alive when Atherton played, and it was a largely pre-internet era in real terms, you’d have absolutely no idea how the media treated him. I would, having grown up in England and witnessed it first hands.

Very suboptimal posting from you.
Tbf trundler is actually a 45 year old Western bloke, he probably knows more about it than you think

trundler

I just wanted to **** on Atherton, he's not wrong. A gander at the time stamp would've explained a lot. Atherton probably better than top 10 test batsmen Warner and Karunaratne.

TheJediBrah

I just wanted to **** on Atherton, he's not wrong. A gander at the time stamp would've explained a lot. Atherton probably better than top 10 test batsmen Warner and Karunaratne.
Did you make that name up or is that actually a player?

Burgey

Atherton easily a better test player than Warner though tbh I don’t really rate Warner as anything approach a great of any kind, despite the fact he’ll probably retire with a far better average overall than atherton

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Athers was fine

probably gets a bit more attention than someone with his record should because he was one of the few english bats in his generation who knew which way to hold the bat and because despite being only an ok test bat, happened to play two of the 90s greatest test knocks. 185* and 98*.

trundler

Athers was fine

probably gets a bit more attention than someone with his record should because he was one of the few english bats in his generation who knew which way to hold the bat and because despite being only an ok test bat, happened to play two of the 90s greatest test knocks. 185* and 98*.
Correct but benign take. Needs more conspiracy.