• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jones is in form!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Take in account that he was second top-score in the first dig and almost took England to a win in the Natwest final and tell me he's not in form. I watched him nail just about every loose short-ball outside off-stump in the 30 he made. He's obviously hitting the ball well.

As for form with the gloves, well he dropped a couple but only one of them wasn't that tough. The other was quite difficult but a Test 'keeper probably should have taken it. Certainly not a dolly, though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4720701.stm

Whatever this guys on i want some....... what a joke
And now, the view of a balanced person...

Well, Jack Russell's purely pointing out a couple of truths - Geraint Jones HAD caught everything this summer, and all keepers have the odd 'bad un'.

Jack was the best English keeper since Bob Taylor (anyone who disagrees with that statement is a complete and utter Australian :p ) but two things spring to mind.

1. Has Jack been helping Geraint regarding technique this season?
2. Has Jack been sniffing paint again?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
But first and foremost he's in the side as a 'keeper, and one always gets the feeling there's a drop on the way. Ask Gilly what he works hardest on in practice. Jones should be working twice as hard as AG which would take some doing. The thing is, he could have two blinders in the next Tests, then drop one again in the fourth. We'll just have to get used to that I suppose until Fletch and the selectors wake up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really wish people would get real on this.
2 UTTERLY IRRELEVANT DROPPED CATCHES?!?!?!?!
Especially when, as Jack has mentioned here (and as countless people have mentioned before) they are the first catches he's put down in the entire year.
As for not being in form with the bat... if Jones (a very poor one-day player) can make 71 in a ODI, that's enough for me... he's in decent nick, and you could tell that by the way he batted in the first-innings.
Yes, he got out brainlessly in the second, but I think most of us are used to that by now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Especially when, as Jack has mentioned here (and as countless people have mentioned before) they are the first catches he's put down in the entire year.
As for not being in form with the bat... if Jones (a very poor one-day player) can make 71 in a ODI, that's enough for me... he's in decent nick, and you could tell that by the way he batted in the first-innings.
Yes, he got out brainlessly in the second, but I think most of us are used to that by now.
I'm not sure they were utterly irrelevant, in all honesty. Set the wrong tone for the chase (nominal as it was) to come.

I'm not advocating dropping Jones, but the shot in the second that lead to his dismissal was poor. He is in ok form with the bat (it took a belter from Lee to get him first up), but in the context of the match that shot was brainless.

Craig

World Traveller
And is Chris Read a better replacement?

Or we could just blame it on those growing up in the Beenleigh/Logan area (between Brisbane and the Gold caost if you don't know; Brisbane and the Coast is an hour's drive/train ride).

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
And is Chris Read a better replacement?

Or we could just blame it on those growing up in the Beenleigh/Logan area (between Brisbane and the Gold caost if you don't know; Brisbane and the Coast is an hour's drive/train ride).
for the Glovework..deffo...for the batting...prolly not.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^Chris Read is far better than Jones as a wicketkeeper, but an inferior batsman.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
He merely confirmed the fact that he is below par as a test keeper and barely serviceable as a batsman.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
It doesnt matter if they are irrelevant (and actualy they wernt because they drained confidence even further) the fact is that he dropped 2 easyish catches for a test keeper and next time they might be a lot more costly. The fact is that it underlined once again that jones keeping is not up too test standard

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'm not sure they were utterly irrelevant, in all honesty. Set the wrong tone for the chase (nominal as it was) to come.

I'm not advocating dropping Jones, but the shot in the second that lead to his dismissal was poor. He is in ok form with the bat (it took a belter from Lee to get him first up), but in the context of the match that shot was brainless.
His shot in the second-innings was terrible, without doubt - but like I say, we're used to that - I've lost count of the times he's got out to a shot which reflects his lack of a cricketing brain more than his poor shot-selection.
But the chase was doomed long, long before Jones dropped those catches - it'd not have been any better if he'd caught them.
Any pretence that they did any harm to anyone is purely theoretical.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Richard said:
His shot in the second-innings was terrible, without doubt - but like I say, we're used to that - I've lost count of the times he's got out to a shot which reflects his lack of a cricketing brain more than his poor shot-selection.
But the chase was doomed long, long before Jones dropped those catches - it'd not have been any better if he'd caught them.
Any pretence that they did any harm to anyone is purely theoretical.

I'll take two of whatever your smoking