• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jones/Harmison for the One day squad?

Should Steve Harmison & Simon Jones be drafted into Englands ODI side?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
It presents an interesting question , Simon Jones & Stephen Harmison have basically had it all over the West Indies in the two tests thus far , taking 25 of 40 West Indian wickets to fall.
Harmison in particular has improved his control out of sight.
They've developed a bit of a mental stranglehold over the Windies & it would make sense to include them in the ODI leg of the tour to continue the trend.

However it cant be forgoten that last time Harmison played ODI's he was a joke (although even I can see the improvement since then) & Simon Jones has only played a couple of one dayers for Glamorgan (and gone for about 7 an over) , there is also the burnout factor as both are recovering from injuries.

Your thoughts , should they be included.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
if Gough is availiable than he should take one bowling spot to at least rotate them to give them some rest, it may upset the side balance but we would have to wait and see what happened... it affects teams differently.

if both dont play? who would play? Gough Sureley but who else?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison... Hmmmmmm.

18 months down the line, a solitary spell still remains uppermost in some people's minds - the same people in all likelihood who have already been proved wrong in test matches.

Ah, to hell with it. Play Harmison in ODI's and be done with it. Then the same people can be proved wrong all over again. I like consistency.

Jones...... Hmmmmmmmm.

Well, he's never done anything in ODI's so far in a career lasting, oh, no days. As far as his club form is concerned, that was a long time ago.

I would include them in the squad, not necessarily play them in every game but use them as and when required, just like everyone else. You cannot just go on protecting bowlers - we'd only end up with Giles, Collingwood and Anderson (remember him?) in the ODI side.

tooextracool

International Coach
my XI for the ODIs would be:

trescothick(good enough for the ODIs)
strauss
vaughan
clarke
collingwood
bell
read/jones
flintoff
anderson
gough
jones

12th man sajid mahmood

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This would be a godo bowling attack, better than one full of slightly-faster-than-medium bowlers. You have Jones and Hoggard opening, then Harmison, then Flintoff (who can also open the bowling), then Giles (or any spinner), or a batsman who can bowl, playing as a regular bowler.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I find it amusing that Englands best form batsman by a long long stretch will be going home and probably watching the ODI's on TV....

Won't they give Butch just the one ODI???

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I find it amusing that Englands best form batsman by a long long stretch will be going home and probably watching the ODI's on TV....

Won't they give Butch just the one ODI???
I'm inclined to agree, although there are others who moan about Butcher being a liability because he keeps getting out in the 50's or 60's.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:

I would include them in the squad, not necessarily play them in every game but use them as and when required, just like everyone else. You cannot just go on protecting bowlers - we'd only end up with Giles, Collingwood and Anderson (remember him?) in the ODI side.
The likelihood is that Jones would be more of a liability than Harmison in one-day cricket: just look at the difference in their ERs in Test cricket. But it must also be admitted that neither of them are batsmen of any description and Harmison in particular is a ghastly fielder, and these things matter in one-day stuff.

If, as we hope, they end the Test series as heroes with bagsful of wickets at tiny averages each, I think the question is really a mental one: would they be better off having the time to let their new status sink in or getting back on the treadmill?

At the moment I incline towards resting them, but I'm quite content to leave it to the people who are with them and can accurately gauge their condition.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A Big No from me.

I don't think they're that suited to the format, and also I'd rather they have a break before the English Summer - neither have been the most reliable in terms of injuries in the last 12-18 months.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wait and see fitness-wise. Now that Harmison's got his arms sorted out, he could be much more effective in ODIs - like Ntini - and for people to count Jones' List A record against him makes little sense.

Nonetheless I don't want to see burnout and I think there are about 25 bowlers in England who can do the WI over, anyway ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:

Nonetheless I don't want to see burnout and I think there are about 25 bowlers in England who can do the WI over, anyway ;)
Hopefully one day, the same will be being said about doing the Australians over with 25 different bowlers :)

Im inclined to agree with your post though.... even if it was said a bit humorously....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Harmison would do well in the West In... er English ODI side. He seems to be relatively accurate thus far on tour and gets good bounce.

Jones... No. He doesn't have the accuracy or consistency to play ODI cricket successfully. I'm not even convinced that he's up to Test cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Wait and see fitness-wise. Now that Harmison's got his arms sorted out, he could be much more effective in ODIs - like Ntini - and for people to count Jones' List A record against him makes little sense.
Such as?

Taking out 2003 and injuries, there must be a reason why he hasnt played as much List A matches, maybe not accurate enough or even good enough?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Jones... No. He doesn't have the accuracy or consistency to play ODI cricket successfully. I'm not even convinced that he's up to Test cricket.
Agree, much as it pains me too say.

He hasn't been able to get up to the express pace that he is supposed to be able to bowl. Not the most accurate, and doesn't get any swing with the new ball.

One thing I will say for him, maybe keeping him in the Test team, is that he utilises the old ball very well. But he won't be able to do that in ODI cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Such as?

Taking out 2003 and injuries, there must be a reason why he hasnt played as much List A matches, maybe not accurate enough or even good enough?
Or being rested.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Or being rested.
If it was for C&G matches I could understand, but if it is National League (or what it was called then), then I dont see the point to rest him for all those games.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
If it was for C&G matches I could understand, but if it is National League (or what it was called then), then I dont see the point to rest him for all those games.
See Sussex's game plan in 2003 - rest almost everyone for all NCL games.