• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Howard to head ICC?

jeevan

International 12th Man
Found this interesting:

What I found interesting was in that last week India announced that their government had cleared the way for India to start talking to Pakistan about playing cricket.

Could this be payback for the removal of Gavaskar.
Don't kid yourself. John Howard and his quest for ICC presidency are just not that important.

There are many reasons for India to play Pakistan that are more pressing. What also happened last week was the foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan re-starting talks after a long time. Re-starting cricket is the easiest and most effective tool around for rebuilding India-Pakistan ties.

brockley

International Captain
Originally Posted by Streetwise
They have rejected Howard because they think he is racist but cannot show how he is racist because the reason he is racist is because he is Australian.

So your position is that they won't support any Australian in the spot?

So in other words he wants another asian after pawar,mays well base the icc in mumbai then.

We're finding out a key difference in having a foreign policy as Australian PM and of a policy that is amenable to most members of the ICC.
In the former, you pretty much have to take good care of the Americans,the British and the Chinese; and the rest can pretty much go and **** themselves.
The latter job involves a majority from countries who went and ****ed themselves.

I.e. Howard's former prime ministership is his biggest liability, not his strongest suite.

What particular policy or policies of Howards would have bothered the ICC members. I think its a load of crap when people say its about policies because no one ever knows what policies they are talking about. It just seems easy to say its about foriegn policy but they dont know **** all about Australias foriegn policies.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What particular policy or policies of Howards would have bothered the ICC members. I think its a load of crap when people say its about policies because no one ever knows what policies they are talking about. It just seems easy to say its about foriegn policy but they dont know **** all about Australias foriegn policies.
yeah.. they only seem to know about it as you do about India and Pakistan..

yeah.. they only seem to know about it as you do about India and Pakistan..
You have your opinion and I have mine, I find whenever you ask someone who has used the foriegn policy card to be more specific they tend to use even more cliches, but I could be wrong and jeevan will tell us which policies he means.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Funniest ****s.:p

What is the big deal if the ICC is based in Mumbai in the future? Any particular problem?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hahahahahahahahah!

So South Africa, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwel etc. etc. all hate Australia? And don't want an Australian candidate?

Puh-lease.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hahahahahahahahah!

So South Africa, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwel etc. etc. all hate Australia? And don't want an Australian candidate?

Puh-lease.
maybe they think a few CW posters are what Australia is all about... :ph34r: Not suprising coz those posters do seem to be thinking the same.. :p

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
You have your opinion and I have mine, I find whenever you ask someone who has used the foriegn policy card to be more specific they tend to use even more cliches, but I could be wrong and jeevan will tell us which policies he means.
The man defended apartheid, that should be enough.

jeevan

International 12th Man
- Well, anyone who stood with George Bush for one. Went to his ranch, looked him in the eye, but didn't later pee on his leg like Putin did. Just that would do it for many folks.

- But, going further, Australia I believe, sent troops to both Afghanistan and Iraq.
Most people see those wars very differently than the leaders of those few countries who did that. (Even India, who had so much to gain in Afghanistan, did not send troops. Sticking to soft power and significant amounts of people and money building roads & buildings and running medical clinics )

- And particularly, was quite vocal in denouncing Mugabe. Who happens to have a vote and apparently a few friends in ICC.

- Even East Timor, would be seen differently inf, say, a Pakistan or an India or a Sri Lanka all of whom can see some domestic parallels - however weakly.

All this is of Howard's doing as PM -is it not? The judgement here is how this will be seen by Asian & African eyes, not whether these things are wrong or right in relative or absolute terms.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Interesting call for specificity from someone who is bringing racism, and 2 line speculations about what people think into the discussion.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My position is this comes from a grudge against Australia from when Gavaskar was removed from the ICC. I dont think it matters if it was Howard or Bradman this was the only outcome.
So you think Zimbabwe, South Africa et all would have said that anyone who is Australian won't be supported?

What color is the sky in your world?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Situation could have been better handled by all parties involved but I don't know what made the people who came up with the nomination go left field and bring in a person like Howard when people involved in cricket administration for years were not nominated.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The fault clearly lies with the people who oppose the nomination but it's hilarious that CA are "reconsidering" their relationship with the BCCI after making a move they knew would provoke at least some kind of reaction from the rest of the world

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wrong. Nice try though.
Don't know anything about the subject but I was under the impression he opposed sanctions against the apartheid (and supports them re: Mugabe). Also the Indian newspapers are digging up his views on Asian immigration, etc...dunno how much of that is accurate.

That's not the same as defending them obv.

And definitely not grounds for rejection.