• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Howard to head ICC?

howardj

International Coach
Surely somebody more steeped in cricket administration would be a better fit.

It's hard to believe there isn't such a person in all of Australia and New Zealand.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, he was. In the sense he built on fears and prejudices against people from certain parts of the world, and he did it for base political motives.

I stll remember Howard in the 80s saying Australians didn't want Asian immigration - not immigration, Asian immigration. Fraser annointed Peacock his successor partly because he abhorred Howard's racist views.

God I despise that man.
Exactly. The idea that Howard is racist didn't start when he was PM, have been around since time immemorial. Believe the above was an election promise, yes?

Really? I'd rather have someone who actually knows about cricket.

**** off John.
Was being sarcastic.

Top_Cat

Surely somebody more steeped in cricket administration would be a better fit.

It's hard to believe there isn't such a person in all of Australia and New Zealand.
The question seems to be an issue of whether anyone actually wants the job rather than if there's anyone qualified.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, he was. In the sense he built on fears and prejudices against people from certain parts of the world, and he did it for base political motives.

I stll remember Howard in the 80s saying Australians didn't want Asian immigration - not immigration, Asian immigration. Fraser annointed Peacock his successor partly because he abhorred Howard's racist views.

God I despise that man.
This man just gets worse the more I find out about him.

Remember when I first became really aware of Howard that I knew he was kind of right wing but he always seemed like a decent guy that was remarkably unthreatening (as I think most Australian leaders are portrayed in Britian) only slowly did I realise he was probably a whole lost worse than any major British politician since Maggie at least.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, he's an evil monster with horns.

Him and Magabe are a photo finish.

Geez,

I think there is a politics thread, isn't there?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

What? CA and NZC have been fighting over who they can nominate.
Not really. OZ have, from all reports, just refused to agree with NZ's nomination so have put Howard up. Don't think anyone else's name has been mentioned as being interested, as opposed to qualified persons who have been mentioned but aren't interested.

Don't have that great an interest in it, tbh.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I personally know a number of people of Asian origin who liked Howard. They did not perceive his comments as racist.

His opposition to "the values of multiculturalism" as you call it were in large part a reaction to the self loathing of the left. Keating basically believed that all cultures should be promoted, except the culture of the majority of the people who live in the country. The fact is that Australia, despite its flaws, is founded on a culture of mateship and treating others as equals and most people in this country expect those who wish to live here to be aware of those values and to some extent share them. I do not see that as racist. If I was to become a Japanese citizen I certainly would expect that to do so I would assimilate somewhat into Japanese culture.

I do not want to live in a country that has racial divides that tear it apart like many other countries. We are the most plural society in the world, with people of all ethnic backgrounds, religions and cultures. I do not believe that the colour of a person's skin defines their worth. I do believe that we should keep the aspects of our culture that are worthwhile and even ask those who wish to live in this country to respect that.

I do agree with you though that his handling of the Aborigines was poor at times.
I don't think that is even possible (AFAIK). Unless your name is Stephen Arashiro.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard he's taken a bunch of retired cricketers overseas to train them up. Farewell to anyone in the players association.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not really. OZ have, from all reports, just refused to agree with NZ's nomination so have put Howard up. Don't think anyone else's name has been mentioned as being interested, as opposed to qualified persons who have been mentioned but aren't interested.

Don't have that great an interest in it, tbh.
Haha me too, pretty boring ****.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And in a case of perfect timing, I switch over to our annual sports awards (the Halberg Awards, named after the great runner and philanthropist, Sir Murray Halberg) and who gets the Leadership award for his work in sports - not just cricket? Sir John Anderson....

Nice touch. And just a subtle nod towards the Aussies, I'm sure...

Point

Cricket Spectator
Running the ICC doesn't involve training players and picking teams. It involved political maneuvering between boards. John Howard is a politician extraordinaire, is well known internationally, and commands far more respect than.... what's his name again?
You need someone powerful to stand up to the BCCI and that NZ no-name is not the right person for the times.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Running the ICC doesn't involve training players and picking teams. It involved political maneuvering between boards. John Howard is a politician extraordinaire, is well known internationally, and commands far more respect than.... what's his name again?
You need someone powerful to stand up to the BCCI and that NZ no-name is not the right person for the times.
Good to know you've read up on "what's his name". 8-)

And seriously, this line:

Running the ICC doesn't involve training players and picking teams.
No ****. Read up on Sir John Anderson and come back to this thread when you've bothered to do so.

pasag

RTDAS
And in a case of perfect timing, I switch over to our annual sports awards (the Halberg Awards, named after the great runner and philanthropist, Sir Murray Halberg) and who gets the Leadership award for his work in sports - not just cricket? Sir John Anderson....

Nice touch. And just a subtle nod towards the Aussies, I'm sure...
Hey, most of us want Anderson as well!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I know - that was more directed at your administrators. But if I can offend plenty of Aussies with a throwaway line, all the more better!

Point

Cricket Spectator
Good to know you've read up on "what's his name". 8-)

And seriously, this line:

No ****. Read up on Sir John Anderson and come back to this thread when you've bothered to do so.
Looks like I touched a raw nerve there by stating that some knighted Kiwi isn't well known. He is anonymous compared to John Howard and no one outside New Zealand would contest that.