• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Neesham: Hero

thierry henry

International Coach
Turns out Jimmy claimed to me to be 6'3" during a height chat 10 years ago. Wish he could come back so I could tell him he's really more 6'2" and a bit.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This thread needs to be top of the page. Jimmy Neesham should be massively proud of himself, one of the biggest surprise performers of the world cup. WAG.

- Used to post on Cricket Web. Everyone gather round to pat yourselves on the back.
- Went through a career slump where he almost gave up the game.
- Worked himself out and came back a lot stronger to earn a place in the world cup squad.
- On twitter and probably reddit and actually quite funny.
- Came into the tournament with a long-standing reputation for bowling a mixture of short-and-wide, full-tosses and legside wides, one of the most hittable part-time bowlers in the world with a career econ rate over 6. (sorry Jimmy)
- Takes 5-fer against Afghanistan. Yeah it's Afghanistan but ****.
- Scores 97* against Pakistan.
- Several other useful knocks at the ends of innings.
- Entrusted with more and more responsibility with the ball as the tournament progresses.
- In particular, bowls more and more at the death as the tournament progresses. Gets his change-ups and off-pace balls right, nails some yorkers. Becomes NZ's third choice for death overs.
- Great catch in the semi-final. Amazed at own genius.
- Bowls overs 42 and 44 vs India in the semi-final and is genuinely unlucky (lobs into gaps and fielding mis-haps) to give away 16 runs, which was still not a bad result. Finishes the match off in the final over.
- Exceptional performance with the ball in the final. I'm saying that was an intentional short off-pace wide one to get Morgan's wicket. Suits the narrative. Bite me.
- A whole lotta pressure in the final ten and makes himself very difficult to score from in overs 41 (4 runs) and 46 (7 runs).
- Then bowls over 49 which should've finished off the game - the wicket of Plunkett and then should've had Stokes had Boult not stepped on the boundary. Perfect slower ball to upset Archer's castle.
- Has earned so much trust from his captain that he's chosen to bat the super over. More pressure than anyone could imagine but he seems to have found a way to embrace it.
- Almost makes the impossible possible by hitting a six and making 13(5).
- Makes self deprecating tweet after most gutting not-win imaginable.

Deserves a lot of respect. Well done Jimmy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The fact that he said it isnt his opinion makes it a completely fine thing to say. Honestly he had a helluva tournament.

thierry henry

International Coach
lol just found another gem. At the start of David Warner's international career in early 2009 Jimmy said he hoped Warner succeeded because he was a good bloke, he just wasn't sure about the batting part.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else notice how, out of everyone involved in the last two overs+super over, he was the only player whose performance wasn't visibly affected by the pressure? Ol' titanium-balls Jimmy.
I like to think he built up his mental toughness reading multi-quote posts from Richard.