• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Neesham: Hero

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone else notice how, out of everyone involved in the last two overs+super over, he was the only player whose performance wasn't visibly affected by the pressure? Ol' titanium-balls Jimmy.

Burner

International Regular
If Neesham went at it again full blooded NZ probably win after that monster six. 7 off 4 is such a tease in between score that probably helped England.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else notice how, out of everyone involved in the last two overs+super over, he was the only player whose performance wasn't visibly affected by the pressure? Ol' titanium-balls Jimmy.
Neesham probably has put the biggest percentage of his income and put the biggest priority of all the current NZ cricketers into getting his mental game in better order and handling a blowtorch being suddenly sprung on him like that. It is good to see him finally get some benefit from his twenties not exactly being an optimistic and shallowly buoyant Mount Maunganui jet ski frolic.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26435478/world-cup-bound-jimmy-neesham-was-talked-retirement

"It came as close as it could get," Neesham said. "I actually called Heath Mills and told him I was going to retire so I owe a lot to him to convince me to take a little break and come back three or four weeks later. From there, being able to make progress steadily, come back with Wellington and make this team it's all been a pretty surreal ride.

"Waking up in the morning, opening the curtains and hoping it was raining is not the ideal way to start a day of cricket and I'd basically got to the point where I needed to have a full overhaul in the way I was approaching the game."
Who knows how many wayward careers around the world are only a Wellington residence and extensive work with Hamish Bennett away from charting as a top-11 bowler in a World Cup.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12185700

"Bowling's been the main focus for me really over the last year and a half or so since I got left out of the team," Neesham said.

"I pretty much now train as a frontline bowler and get my batting training done when I can."

Neesham even found himself left out of the Otago team last summer and made a switch to Wellington for the 2018-19 domestic season, immediately starring in the one-day competition with the bat while making strides with the ball.

"The move to Wellington has been really good for that - Hamish Bennett [Wellington captain and quick bowler] has been amazing to work with.

"The increased load, the increased number of balls I've been bowling is helping a lot.

"It's about trying to be as relaxed as possible, to stay loose, and I know that I've got the ability to bowl up around that 140 [kph] mark and if I'm bowling well, that's good enough. It's just a case of being more consistent and that was a good start yesterday obviously."

​Neesham said he's been aiming for more stamina and felt that was evident on Thursday night.

"I was keeping a little eye on the speed gun in that second spell and it was still reasonably up there at the seven-eight over mark, which has been a bugbear of mine in the past."

Confidence around his technique is also growing.

"When I went to Auckland and spent the winter in Auckland by myself, I bowled by myself and it was a breath of fresh air not to be concentrating on technical things every training session. It was more about how the ball was feeling coming out.

"Now with Hamish Bennett's work I've got the confidence at the top of my mark that if I do everything right and my fingertips release the ball properly then it'll come out as quick as any all-rounder around."
Jeets hasn't had the same immediately eye-catching success stories to point to with his fostering of English finger spinners here yet, but if you're a pace bowler with a bit of height and raw potential make sure you post your audition tape in the Firebirds thread. You could well be Bennett's next great mentoring and resurgence story.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I remember looking at his posts a while ago and one of his final ones was him saying he’d heard McCullum was a bit of a dick lol.

thierry henry

International Coach
A JimmyGS gem from 2009 - "This isn't my opinion as I've never met the guy. But the subject has come up a lot while talking to people who have worked with him. He's generally regarded as an arrogant, self-obsessed dickhead. When I say generally, I mean that not one person has had a contrasting opinion."

Coincidence that Jimmy missed the 2015 CWC squad?