• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Javed Miandad

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ben I wonder if the fact Viv (sorry Marshall) and Gavaskar (sorry Dev) were often seen as the most famous figure in their respective sides while Miandad played second fiddle by and large to Imran.

This could have some barring on the overall ratings of the 3 fine batsman.
Imran was like Hollywood star who happens to be good at cricket apart from Warney or Don I think everybody would play second filddle to him

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Ben I wonder if the fact Viv (sorry Marshall) and Gavaskar (sorry Dev) were often seen as the most famous figure in their respective sides while Miandad played second fiddle by and large to Imran.

This could have some barring on the overall ratings of the 3 fine batsman.
That doesn't stop Ricky Ponting though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
He was rated 19:).

Here is the list

1. Don Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Garry Sobers
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Viv Richards
6. WG Grace
7. Wally Hammond
8. Brian Lara
9. Greg Chappell
10. Len Hutton
11. George Headley
12. Sunil Gavaskar
13. Herbert Sutcliffe
14. Ranji
15. Ricky Ponting
16. Victor Trumper
17. Everton Weekes
18. Graeme Pollock
19. Javed Miandad
20. Allan Border
21. Dennis Compton
22. Barry Richards
23. Clyde Walcott
24. Ken Barrington
25. Steve Waugh

Not happy with Barry Richards being there tbh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That doesn't stop Ricky Ponting though.
Who's the star in Australia's team now? Some would say Johnson, but by in large Ponting would be numero uno.

I think for a player still playing it's slightly different to a player who has retired for a good number of years too.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He was rated 19:).

Here is the list

1. Don Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Garry Sobers
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Viv Richards
6. WG Grace
7. Wally Hammond
8. Brian Lara
9. Greg Chappell
10. Len Hutton
11. George Headley
12. Sunil Gavaskar
13. Herbert Sutcliffe
14. Ranji
15. Ricky Ponting
16. Victor Trumper
17. Everton Weekes
18. Graeme Pollock
19. Javed Miandad
20. Allan Border
21. Dennis Compton
22. Barry Richards
23. Clyde Walcott
24. Ken Barrington
25. Steve Waugh
There are atleast 4 names on there I would be comfortable knocking off to include Dravid. Shocking.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Generally, from Bradman on there are a heap of names that could be 2nd and onwards. It's almost personal preference.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I said, his not rated anywhere near as close, despite out averaging Gavaskar and making more runs then Richards.
Fortunately people who have played at the top level and those considered knowledgeable on the matter (and formed the 'jury' for this selection) place on limited emphasis on that :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I said, his not rated anywhere near as close, despite outaveraging Gavaskar and making more runs then Richards.
I think you have a point. These guys are idiots. That list of top 25 batsmen of all time should either be this ...

Code:
[B]#	Player               	Tests	Runs[/B]

1	Tendulkar, Sachin R	159	12773
2	Lara, Brian C     	131	11953
3	Border, Allan R  	156	11174
4	Ponting, Ricky T	131	10960
5	Waugh, Stephen R	168	10927
6	Dravid, Rahul     	134	10823
7	Kallis, Jacques H	131	10277
[B]8	Gavaskar, Sunil M	125	10122[/B]
9	Gooch, Graham A      	118	8900
[B]10	Javed Miandad          	124	8832[/B]
11	Inzamam-ul-Haq	        120	8830
12	Hayden, Matthew L	103	8625
[B]13	Richards, Isaac V A	121	8540[/B]
14	Chanderpaul, Shivnarine	119	8502
15	Stewart, Alec J  	133	8463
16	Jayawardene, D P Mahela	102	8251
17	Gower, David I   	117	8231
18	Boycott, Geoffrey	108	8114
19	Sobers, Garfield St A	93	8032
20	Waugh, Mark E          	128	8029
21	Atherton, Michael A	115	7728
22	Langer, Justin L 	105	7696
23	Cowdrey, Michael C	114	7624
24	Greenidge,  Gordon	108	7558
25	Taylor, Mark A   	104	7525
OR ....

Although that takes care of the over-rated Viv Richards it still doesn't do justice to Miandad, maybe this .... (since Barry Richards with 4 Tests is apparently eligible)

Code:
#[B]	Player	Tests	Average[/B]

1	Bradman, Donald G	52	99.9
2	Richards, Barry A	4	72.6
3	Wood, Henry      	4	68.0
4	Dempster, Charles S	10	65.7
5	Valentine, Brian H	7	64.9
6	Barnes, Sidney G	13	63.1
7	Taslim Arif         	6	62.6
8	Pollock, Robert G	23	61.0
9	Headley, George A	22	60.8
10	Sutcliffe, Herbert	54	60.7
11	Paynter, Edward        	20	59.2
12	Barrington, Kenneth F	82	58.7
13	Weekes, Everton De C	48	58.6
14	Duleepsinhji, Kumar S	12	58.5
15	Hammond, Walter R	85	58.5
16	Sobers, Garfield St A	93	57.8
17	Hobbs, John B   	61	57.0
18	Russell, Charles A G	10	56.9
19	Walcott, Clyde L	44	56.7
20	Hutton, Leonard 	79	56.7
21	Ponting, Ricky T	131	56.2
22	Hodge, Bradley J	6	55.9
23	Mohammad Yousuf    	79	55.5
24	Hussey, Michael E K	37	55.3
25	Tyldesley, George E	14	55.0
I promise you if this list went beyond 25 you will find Miandad in his rightful place vis-a-vis those two inter-lopers. :dry:

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I agree and I have written pages here on CW detailing that very problem with his record.
Yes. 1983 home & away really highlights it. Do you have any links to your analysis on that record, would love to have a read..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bloody hell never knew Taslim Arif is the highest averaging Pakistani test bat.
Ha yes. I have always wondered, if Imran didn't prefer the superior glovework to Bari instead of him. If he could have been a prolific batsman/keeper or maybe he would have been like Akmal today.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. 1983 home & away really highlights it. Do you have any links to your analysis on that record, would love to have a read..
Let me look for it :). I have done it twice in fair amount of detail.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I think you have a point. These guys are idiots. That list of top 25 batsmen of all time should either be this ...
Eh, no. Richards, Miandad and Gavaskar all played in the same era, we're not talking about players who played in seperate eras, so statistics from other eras are completely irrelevant in this argument.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ha yes. I have always wondered, if Imran didn't prefer the superior glovework to Bari instead of him. If he could have been a prolific batsman/keeper or maybe he would have been like Akmal today.
Just 6 tests and FC avg of just 33 so I guess its overstating his batting ability was a gun urdu commentator though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As a middle order batsman he rates only behind Greg Chappell and Viv Richards from his era. As an obnoxious twerp and colossal cheat he rates just behind Ian Chappell.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Let me look for it :). I have done it twice in fair amount of detail.
In looking for that (still no success) I came across this interesting post I made on Ponting on 3rd March 2005, predicting that after about three years or so he should start declining and after that the decline will be fast. Not bad huh although he is young enough to prove me dead wrong. :) Here...
I doubt if Ponting will score 40 test centuries. We cant just extrapolate his best years in the game and assume the rest will be similar.

He has got 21 centuries in 85 tests. Every player tapers off towards the end of his career. So one can safely assume that in a long career, the second half will AT best be as good as the first half. Thus to get 40 centuries, Ponting needs to play another 80 test matches and considering he will miss some for various reasons, he will need at least. 8-10 years to play these. Its unlikely that he will play for so long. Not impossible but very unlikely.

We are seeing Tendulkars performance tapering off. Same will happen to Ponting in three years time. Then the decline comes fast, in most cases.

There are plenty of examples.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is so much fun going through those old debates sometimes. I came across another where a poster, not too fond of Dravid and Jaques Kallis, said ,
"no matter how much u people try to change my opinin about Dravid and Kallies it never happening. so why waste ur time"​

I replied (quoting him) ....

My dear *censored*.

No one is trying or evenly remotely interested in changing your opinions. You are more than welcome to keep them. but you cant go about claiming that you know about the opinions of "the people" at large, can you?

" have u guys ever seen people going to the studium watching cricket becuase of dravid and kallies"

Well those who DO go to watch them are responding to THAT.

Then again...

"Kallies and Dravid ........... are boring clowns and giving the name of the bordem to circus"

You miss the point. We do NOT go to a cricket match because it is a circus and has clowns boring or not. We go there because it is a sport where there is a contest between bat and ball and the fiercer the contest the more we enjoy it. We love watching a batsman show his complete array of skills to counter the combination of a great bowler and a helpful surface, maybe in a tight corner.

Now that is a contest. And we love a contest. Can you see the difference? Maybe not. Fair enough but dont take yourself to represent all "the people".
What would we do without thse guys :)