• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Kumar Sangakkara ( as Test batsmen )

Who was the greater Test batsman?

• Sangakkara

• Kallis

Results are only viewable after voting.

subshakerz

International Coach
So even you yourself wouldn't rate Ponting as high as Tendulkar but just vaguely gestured at "people" who would have done it as proof that you yourself are wrong? What.
Stop muddying the conversation with 'but for the sake of argument...' takes. Do you agree that late career slumps affects ratings or not? It should be an obvious point and would apply to Ponting and any cricketer.

ataraxia

International Coach
PC is right, it seems; it looks like I voted for Kallis.

Or you could just use common sense to determine that much...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The inconsistency behind this post is incredible considering all of you are waiting to see where Smith ends up averaging to see where to rate him.
I already rate him on the Lara/Tendulkar tier and unlike hackfrauds like @subshakerz ,once I think a player has done enough to warrant being rated on par with someone, I dont then downgrade them because of a few bad years.

The waiting is to see whether he can move up. If he somehow puts together another run of form where he churns out another 10 hundreds, then I would rate him as the undisputed the best after Bradman. I'm not waiting for a slump so that I can downgrade him to the Kallis Sanga tier because I already think he's had a more impressive career than them.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Not to mention some votes are meme votes; I think if someone hadn't read what OP wrote (which everyone doesn't, especially it wasn't even on the poll); they could easily had interpreted it as Sachin vs Kallis as a complete player; which still is Sachin to me, but Kallis then has decent arguments.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
The inconsistency behind this post is incredible considering all of you are waiting to see where Smith ends up averaging to see where to rate him.

But I guess the irony flew over your head.
What, how is it inconsistent? If Smith retired at the time he was averaging 60, I wouldn’t rate him higher than Tendulkar. Most people on this forum wouldn’t either.

Smith’s average of 60 in this era was worth a lot more than Ponting’s though. Smith >>>>>> Ponting.

subshakerz

International Coach
I already rate him on the Lara/Tendulkar tier and unlike hackfrauds like @subshakerz ,once I think a player has done enough to warrant being rated on par with someone, I dont then downgrade them because of a few bad years.

The waiting is to see whether he can move up. If he somehow puts together another run of form where he churns out another 10 hundreds, then I would rate him as the undisputed the best after Bradman. I'm not waiting for a slump so that I can downgrade him to the Kallis Sanga tier because I already think he's had a more impressive career than them.
In other words, once you like a bat, your rating of him will only stay the same or get better regardless of how he performs.

capt_Luffy

International Regular

But I guess the irony flew over your head.
I don't think if Smith doesn't pull a Kohli post Covid type of run of form; he would drop significantly from my ratings. At worst, he might go under Lara; and if he pulls another spectacular run scoring spree; he might go over Sobers, Tendulkar and even Hobbs. And that's widely due to his success away; especially series like 2017 India or 2019 Ashes; which Ponting has none comparable.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Strawman expert at it again. Yes we think Ponting wasn't very good.
You should re read some of the above comments.

While you may have been an exception there were many who believed that he entered the conversation, and that's because he did. While how his career ended should be and is factored in to his overall rating, it doesn't take away from what he was during that time.

If Smith continues his struggles, would that take away from his earlier exploits? Did Viv's? I think I have him in the 12ish range which I believe is accurate enough.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't think if Smith doesn't pull a Kohli post Covid type of run of form; he would drop significantly from my ratings. At worst, he might go under Lara; and if he pulls another spectacular run scoring spree; he might go over Sobers, Tendulkar and even Hobbs. And that's widely due to his success away; especially series like 2017 India or 2019 Ashes; which Ponting has none comparable.
The same idea of a player going up or down based on a run of form would apply to Ponting mid-career.