• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Glenn Mcgrath

Who was the better test cricketer?

• Total voters

Sunil1z

International Regular
I wanted to vote for McGrath but voted for Kallis because so many people under-rate him on this forum .

Dendarii

International Debutant
McGrath's best batting average was in England, so that must mean he's better than Kallis...

shortpitched713

International Captain
Why do you keep doing this ffs
My theory is that he's an alt for a regular drafter on the forum. Just wants to gather intel from his fellow posters, so will put up all sorts of these comparisons. There's no other plausible reason I can think of. And generally, they're rather harmless, if spammy.

Either that or he's archiving CW opinions to create present day archeological evidence for use by his future alien civilization, of which he is a particular time traveling member.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'll take McGrath as a bowler over Kallis as a batsman, by a decent margin. As an overall cricketer I would have to go Kallis, I suppose, but anyway because McGrath has so few votes, I'm voting for him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
My theory is that he's an alt for a regular drafter on the forum. Just wants to gather intel from his fellow posters, so will put up all sorts of these comparisons. There's no other plausible reason I can think of. And generally, they're rather harmless, if spammy.

Either that or he's archiving CW opinions to create present day archeological evidence for use by his future alien civilization, of which he is a particular time traveling member.
So @PlayerComparisons is Kang?

subshakerz

International Coach
McGrath.

2nd best pacer of all-time better than 20-25th batsman of all-time and a useful bowler.

How much of a game changer was Kallis' bowling really? He is not winning matches on his own or even bowling the load of a main bowler. Compared to Imran, who was good enough to bat in the top 6/7, or Sobers who was a regular fourth bowler, Kallis' figures flatter him a bit.

I am all for five bowling options but in test cricket it is still a luxury. Can't compromise on primary strength.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath.

2nd best pacer of all-time better than 20-25th batsman of all-time and a useful bowler.

How much of a game changer was Kallis' bowling really? He is not winning matches on his own or even bowling the load of a main bowler. Compared to Imran, who was good enough to bat in the top 6/7, or Sobers who was a regular fourth bowler, Kallis' figures flatter him a bit.

I am all for five bowling options but in test cricket it is still a luxury. Can't compromise on primary strength.
His role wasn’t to win matches with the ball, but he did on occasion. His role was to support the rest of the SA bowling unit, which I think he did an admirable job of through his career.

An example of him (imo) winning a match with his bowling would be at Leeds in 2003. Kirsten got MOTM for a first innings 130. Kallis took 3/38 in the first (sending England from 1/169 to 4/197) and 6/54 in the second (sending England from 5/169 to 9/206). In both innings he broke the largest partnership and took the wickets of the two highest runscorers.

Not comparing him to other allrounders since thats not this thread.. but compared to McGrath he could win matches with his batting, and make sizeable contributions consistently with both his bowling and fielding. McGrath could only win matches with his bowling (more than Kallis’ batting obviously) but was really a non factor as a batsman and fielder. Kallis could affect the game in more ways and overall is a more unique and valuable player in my opinion.