• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Issues with inconsistent run up

redstone

Cricket Spectator
I’ve played cricket since I was around 8, and have always bowled off the wrong foot. I stopped playing when I was around 16, and have only this season started playing again, now at the age of 24. I can happily bowl launching off the correct foot now, but because of habit I can’t seem to consistently take off from the right place and therefore often end up losing my stride a little and just trotting a little to get into the right place, or just generally losing rhythm and therefore am struggling to find my rhythm whilst bowling. I don’t seem to consistently be in the same place a couple of steps before taking off and is really throwing me off, leaving me losing my action a bit and having to think about two or three things rather than just where I want to land it. I have other issues to address but I think this is the main one meaning I’m losing pace and rhythm. I am coming off 12 paces.

Does anyone know any drills or general tips for sorting this out?

cnerd123

likes this
the general advice is to just run and bowl in an open space without stumps/creases/markings/etc. to distract you. Just mark out your starting point, and where your foot lands after delivering the ball. Do this for a few overs, find a rhythm you like, and keep marking out where your foot lands. Once you have a consistent landing point for several deliveries in a row, you have found your run-up length. Measure that and use it in the nets.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Used to have a chronic no ball problem

We’re talking really bad as in 12 ball overs to start a game

Cured it by running in with my eyes closed, letting go whenever I felt comfortable and having a friend measure the best feeling one out

Hardly ever bowled a no ball again

Lots of rubbish but few no balls