• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Strauss & Tresco opening the right way to go?

Which combo would you go for?

• Tresco & Strauss - if it's not broken don't fix it

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Tresco & Cook - let the skipper come in later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strauss & Cook - Tresco can face the spinners

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Other - maybe Harmy & Monty should open?

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
tooextracool said:
The only time Bell has opened in Test cricket(on the India tour) he struggled miserably and was pushed down the order by the end of the tour. Like ive said before hes a strokemaker, and stroke makers are always going to struggle at the very top of the order in test match cricket.
Like Sehwag, Hayden, Gayle & Trescothick do?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
No he wasn't - he opened in the last game of the series.
hmm for some reason i thought he opened during the first game of the series, but it turns out to be the last. Anyways i dont like the prospects of him batting at 3, i think hes a better player at 4,5 or 6, but it looks like thats whats going to happen at Brisbane.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
You shouldn't have said that, now 'tooextracool' is going to retort with the most boring paragraph know to man. Explaining how in fact Sehwag is not a stroke maker by opening his initial response with the lines obviously you have never seen Sehwag bat because...

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I think very few people would classify Gayle as a successful test match opener. In fact i think he'd be much better off down the order in tests anyways. Trescothick is one of the better leavers in the game, its one of the reasons why despite his poor footwork hes managed to score runs in test match cricket. Hayden could barely score a run on a seamer friendly track until he sorted his technique out and stopped playing as many shots as he was.
Sehwag is probably the only real exception to the rule and as such i still think hed be a better player down the order than at the top but we probably would never know about that.
Anyways i think in general strokemakers struggle at the top of the order, and we've seen countless examples of that in terms such as Fleming and Ramprakash and several others who have been given the shot of opening and struggled because they simply played too many shots.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
If he doesn't, who else does is the problem!
Yea that is the problem, and thats why out of the options they have to have him bat at 3. Id prefer Collingwood above Pietersen, because i think the further Pietersen is from the new ball the better. I think however that England will have Pietersen at 4 and Collingwood at 5.

tooextracool

International Coach
TT Boy said:
You shouldn't have said that, now 'tooextracool' is going to retort with the most boring paragraph know to man. Explaining how in fact Sehwag is not a stroke maker by opening his initial response with the lines obviously you have never seen Sehwag bat because...
Ahh well at least i have my own opinions about cricket.....

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Myself and the other six people who voted for Harmison and Monty have credence to celebrate. :)