• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Shivnarine Chanderpaul an ATG test batsman?

Is Shivnarine Chanderpaul an ATG test batsman?

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
chanderpaul played much of his 160 matches because he was the only decent batsman for a long time in a really mediocre batting lineup...without context, longevity isn't an indicator of all time greatness...the meaning of that word is being really diluted when you use it for players like chanderpaul...
What a load of crap. He was good enough throughout his career to make every (non Australian peak maybe) teams XI. And after Lara retired specifically, he was averaging 60 for the rest of his career. Longevity by itself isn’t necessarily an indicator of anything but averaging 50 over a career of 20 years and 160 tests is.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
What a load of crap. He was good enough throughout his career to make every (non Australian peak maybe) teams XI. And after Lara retired specifically, he was averaging 60 for the rest of his career. Longevity by itself isn’t necessarily an indicator of anything but averaging 50 over a career of 20 years and 160 tests is.
Avg 51+ and 41+ in both formats for 20 years is a great achievement.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Shiv was an ATG. ATGs still have their flaws, but by the standards we'd apply to any other player he is. Ruthlessly effective bastard.

Batting higher is an interesting one but overall in that team they needed as many runs as he could get so 5 was the right option (as with Clarke).
yet again if Shiv is an atg then so are so many others. atg loses meaning when its so liberal. i guess it comes down to how everyone defines atg by their personal standards. to me it does mean someone who wouldn’t look out of place if you placed them in any era in any side and Shiv would definitely be an odd man in several teams. the prestige with my atvg list is probably higher than a lot of the people here calling Shiv atg probably

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
I think an ATG shouldn’t look completely out of place in an all time world XI. I think Chanderpaul probably wouldn’t meet my criteria, but I don’t have a problem with others rating him as an ATG. He was a great player.

Tom Flint

International Regular
That's not what I thought he said, I think he meant a side from a particular era, I.e windies 80s, aus 90s, s.a 2000s

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
Which All Time XI can beat this West Indies Test XI ?
1) Chris Gayle-5 Overs
2) Gordon Greenidge
3) Viv Richards
4) Brian Lara
5) Clive Lloyd*
6) Gary Sobers-17 Overs
7) Jeff Dujon+
8) Malcolm Marshall-17 Overs
9) Michael Holding-16 Overs
10) Joel Garner-17 Overs
11) Curtly Ambrose-18 Overs
-----------
90 Overs per day can any Team survive a day against Marshall, Garner, Holding, Ambrose, Sobers and Gayle ?
-----------

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
yet again if Shiv is an atg then so are so many others. atg loses meaning when its so liberal. i guess it comes down to how everyone defines atg by their personal standards. to me it does mean someone who wouldn’t look out of place if you placed them in any era in any side and Shiv would definitely be an odd man in several teams. the prestige with my atvg list is probably higher than a lot of the people here calling Shiv atg probably
Like who exactly? He'd definitely make WI's side in the 80's. Besides Viv, no one had an average even close to Shiv's. Australia in the 00's had a stronger batting lineup, but Shiv would for me comfortably slot in ahead of the likes of young Clarke, Symonds, Mark Waugh etc.

I actually think this is a pretty average definition of an ATG. Pretty much anybody averaging high-40's is going to slot in to just about any side ever.

Slifer

International Captain
Like who exactly? He'd definitely make WI's side in the 80's. Besides Viv, no one had an average even close to Shiv's. Australia in the 00's had a stronger batting lineup, but Shiv would for me comfortably slot in ahead of the likes of young Clarke, Symonds, Mark Waugh etc.

I actually think this is a pretty average definition of an ATG. Pretty much anybody averaging high-40's is going to slot in to just about any side ever.
From his era yeah, Shiv would probably slot into every teams XI somewhere

India: he's ahead of Ganguly and Laxman
Aust: Anyone not named Steve Waugh or Ponting
Nz: obviously
Pak: only Yousuff, Inzi and Younis ahead
Rsa: only Kallis
Ban: obviously
SL: Only Sanga
Eng: obviously

So yeah, from his era he'd make any other team.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And for this some people who I bet never actually watched him play live or on TV say he was chasing red ink.
If anything, people who didn't watch him are the ones who deny he red-inked. Pretty sure several WI users on this very forum will tell you he did it.

That does not in and of itself mean he wasn't ATG though.

Last edited:

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Even if Chanderpaul did red ink, his output wasn’t any worse than batsmen like Border and Waugh.