• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Shivnarine Chanderpaul an ATG test batsman?

Is Shivnarine Chanderpaul an ATG test batsman?

• Total voters

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Nah, poor records in Aus, SA and Pak, plus scored majority of his runs in one of the easiest eras for batting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This probably says more about where you draw the line on ATG than it does about where you put Chanders.

I'm not a big gatekeeper on this definition so I'd say yes. There are probably people who rate him higher than I do who'd say no though.

You're asking two completely different questions at once.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definite no for me because I both have a higher standard and regard Chanderpaul as a 47 average batter.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
This probably says more about where you draw the line on ATG than it does about where you put Chanders.

I'm not a big gatekeeper on this definition so I'd say yes. There are probably people who rate him higher than I do who'd say no though.

You're asking two completely different questions at once.
An ATG batsmen can’t have as poor records as Chanderpaul does in three diff major nations, that too while batting in the easiest era for batting

Howe_zat

Audio File
Starting these threads with the premise that 'ATG' is even an actual thing, which it isn't, is going to mean this is pretty much the only answer. It's just not a well-defined question.

Is Chanderpaul entropy?

Is Chanderpaul sadness?

Slifer

International Captain
Fck no and this coming from a rabid West Indian supporter. He's probably a great or ATVG. Among West Indians it goes more or less like this:

ATG: Viv, Lara, Sobers, Headley
Great: Weekes, Walcott, Worrell
Great/Very Good: Kanhai, Lloyd, Shiv, Greenidge, Hunte

Even among the third tier I'd put him behind everyone except maybe Hunte. Still, Shiv was an excellent servant for West Indian cricket and I wish more of our batsmen would put in the type of hours Shiv used to into when training.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Fck no and this coming from a rabid West Indian supporter. He's probably a great or ATVG. Among West Indians it goes more or less like this:

ATG: Viv, Lara, Sobers, Headley
Great: Weekes, Walcott, Worrell
Great/Very Good: Kanhai, Lloyd, Shiv, Greenidge, Hunte

Even among the third tier I'd put him behind everyone except maybe Hunte. Still, Shiv was an excellent servant for West Indian cricket and I wish more of our batsmen would put in the type of hours Shiv used to into when training.
Harsh to place him a tier below the W’s imo.

Slifer

International Captain
Harsh to place him a tier below the W’s imo.
I know it's harsh maybe he belongs on their level but I honestly just can't rate Shiv above the likes of Kanhai and Lloyd. Maybe move those two up and Weekes and Worrell down. Shiv isn't better than Walcott though imo

trundler

Nah, nerds are the one who rate him higher than is warranted because they realised he has a pretty average at the end of his career.

trundler

mmhmm can't be nerds that go over his averages by country, not outs and classify him a 47 average batsman based on...what?
Never said that's why I think his average flatters him. It's his overt selfishness and red ink chasing that boosts his average. If Lloyd batted like Shiv he'd average 50+ but he'd have contributed less to his team and they're both about par for me.

OverratedSanity

Pretty much.

If the question is how highly do I rate Chanders, I think I'd probably put him on the lower end of the top 10 WI batsmen of all time. Says more about WI's historical strength when it comes to producing incredible batsmen.

trundler

Headley to Shiv is a pretty mean unbroken streak of exceptional batsmen though, as much as I think Shiv is overrated by nerds.

BazBall21

International Regular
He was obviously better than Shiv but tbf Sanga also has a poor record in three different major nations. India, South Africa and WI. With the same logic, he's not an ATG either. I'd say Shiv is a borderline in answer to the question. Think he is rated a little lower on here compared to contemporaries than he should be but he does have a few caveats.