• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Shivnarine Chanderpaul an ATG test batsman?

Is Shivnarine Chanderpaul an ATG test batsman?

• Total voters

Chrish

International Debutant
I am one of the few who loved watching him bat.. It was fascinating.

I watched the game live where WI chased down 418 against that Aussie team and Chander and Ramesh scored 100. It is among most fond memories over the years. McGrath crying like a little bitch was icing on the cake.

Chander also lit up the ground where he scored 100 in 69 deliveries in the same series.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
I am one of the few who loved watching him bat.. It was fascinating.

I watched the game live where WI chased down 418 against that Aussie team and Chander and Ramesh scored 100. It is among most fond memories over the years. McGrath crying like a little bitch was icing on the cake.

Chander also lit up the ground where he scored 100 in 69 deliveries in the same series.
After that Match West Indies never won a Test Match against Australia ??

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Definitely , an all time great in my book , he put in the work , over 160 test matches ..30 test hundreds,memorable knocks ..even that crab batting stance is iconic ..

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
There are very few players who can play 160 test matches so Chanderpaul is an ATG and definitely better player than Mahela Jayawardene.

Ali TT

International Debutant
His record is obviously up there with the very best, even if he struggled in Australia. However, once over the novelty of his stance, he'd drive me to distraction so could never have him in my all-time pantheon.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
His record is obviously up there with the very best, even if he struggled in Australia. However, once over the novelty of his stance, he'd drive me to distraction so could never have him in my all-time pantheon.
It’s tough to determine greatness. However, he had a very good career in both formats of the game. Which very few can boast to have.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
chanderpaul played much of his 160 matches because he was the only decent batsman for a long time in a really mediocre batting lineup...without context, longevity isn't an indicator of all time greatness...the meaning of that word is being really diluted when you use it for players like chanderpaul...

Socerer 01

International Captain
can Chanderpaul be considered ATG when he isn't the 1st choice backup to their ATG XI let alone not being a part of it? ATG should be rarefied air instead of something that is used to apply to everyone. its like the modern football fans who start calling players who played for their club for 3 seasons legends just because they were very good at that time

being ATVG is no slight at all though and Chanderpaul does qualify for it despite his numerous flaws

Flem274*

123/5
Shiv was an ATG. ATGs still have their flaws, but by the standards we'd apply to any other player he is. Ruthlessly effective bastard.

Batting higher is an interesting one but overall in that team they needed as many runs as he could get so 5 was the right option (as with Clarke).

Ali TT

International Debutant
chanderpaul played much of his 160 matches because he was the only decent batsman for a long time in a really mediocre batting lineup...without context, longevity isn't an indicator of all time greatness...the meaning of that word is being really diluted when you use it for players like chanderpaul...
Maybe, but he could've averaged 12 runs less and still easily been the best batter in the Windies lineup during much of the latter part of his career.

I agree, though, that longevity isn't necessarily an indicator of greatness on its own.

Tom Flint

International Regular
There was a period after Lara retired I remember nearly every game he would get a big score while wickets were thrown away around him. He just did his job for his team hanging in there getting them up to something competitive almost every innings.
And for this some people who I bet never actually watched him play live or on TV say he was chasing red ink. Wasn't the case at all. Imo

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
There was a period after Lara retired I remember nearly every game he would get a big score while wickets were thrown away around him. He just did his job for his team hanging in there getting them up to something competitive almost every innings.
And for this some people who I bet never actually watched him play live or on TV say he was chasing red ink. Wasn't the case at all. Imo
He was also versatile enough to score a 149* in 136 balls against India as an Opener in ODIs. The problem was lack of good leadership and team undermined his achievements.