• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Rohit Sharma the second best ODI opener of all time?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jayasuriya still 2nd imo.

Rohit maybe 3rd now. But he's got stiff competition, not only from Gilly, but Warner as well.
how do jayasuriya and gilchrist get into consideration as the 2nd or 3rd best one day openers, that too all time? when they got going, they were fantastic but those efforts were few and far in between, those two were incredibly inconsistent at best.

australia could afford to carry gilly on his off days (and he still was a competent keeper so offered a lot of value to the team anyway) because of their incredible batting depth during that era and sri lanka had to carry sanath on his off days because they didn't have a better option...there were so many batsmen who consistently produced throughout their career at the top of the order who would rank above those two on any all-time list...

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
how do jayasuriya and gilchrist get into consideration as the 2nd or 3rd best one day openers, that too all time? when they got going, they were fantastic but those efforts were few and far in between, those two were incredibly inconsistent at best.

australia could afford to carry gilly on his off days (and he still was a competent keeper so offered a lot of value to the team anyway) because of their incredible batting depth during that era and sri lanka had to carry sanath on his off days because they didn't have a better option...there were so many batsmen who consistently produced throughout their career at the top of the order who would rank above those two on any all-time list...
Historically, there were generally two types of ODI opener - the accumulating high averaging opener and the dasher. Traditionally the accumulator would average in the 40s and the dasher in the mid 30s, but at a strike rate of around 90.

The thing that makes Tendulkar unique is that he was both - the accumulator and the dasher all rolled into one package.

The reason Jayasuriya and Gilchrist get talked about a lot in this context is that they are both in the dasher mould, but also have a secondary skill to go with it.

Batting has gotten a lot easier in recent times so it's easy to forget that historically the middle order have been the most important batsmen in an ODI side since the opposition was usually going to be able to get a wicket or two in the first fifteen overs. So the ATG XIs you see will generally focus on getting the best pure batsmen into the middle order. And when that middle order contains Viv, Kohli and De Villiers it's easy to see why.

So having an opener with a secondary skill gives you more flexibility in your team. You can play Bevan and Klusener at 6 and 7 with Gilly opening, which gives you the strongest batting lineup without sacrificing bowling on larger grounds or pace friendly decks. You can play Dhoni and Symonds at 6 and 7 to exploit spinning conditions and smaller grounds if you have Jayasuriya opening.

Because ODI cricket is less about "this batsman averages more than this other batsman therefore they are better" than test cricket, picking a winning team requires understanding where you're going to get your fifth bowler from, where and how you bat your keeper, how deep you bat and how good players are in the field.

There are heaps of great openers in ODI history:

High average:
Haynes
Greenidge
Turner
Anwar
M Waugh
Hayden
Smith
Ganguly
Amla
Rohit

High SR:
Jayasuriya
Gilchrist
Sehwag
McCullum
Gayle
Warner
De Kock
Bairstow

Both/balanced:
Tendulkar
Watson

How do you separate them? Look at their roles and decide who fits best into your team. In an ATG team I'd probably rather someone who scores quickly than someone who acts as an anchor because I want the number 3-6 to get a chance to bat as well. So in the "high SR" list, Jaya is a bone fide all rounder, Gilchrist is an ATG keeper and the other options aren't really quite as good except maybe Watson as a fast bowling all rounder who is the only other truly balanced option.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We are still talking secondary skills for a damned ATG team? :sleep:

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In today's era of big bats, flat wickets and short boundaries Rohit really shines. We'll never know how he would compare to Anwar, Waugh etc. in 90s ODIs but it does it really matter? He's insanely good at what he does and you can only play in the conditions you are given. To answer the thread's question, probably.

vcs

In Rohit's case, we can actually say with a fair amount of certainty that he wouldn't fare well against a McGrath/Ambrose/Wasim etc. in conditions where the new ball swings. We've seen him look absolutely clueless against Steyn on a couple of such occasions - like two overs of being unable to even lay bat on ball. But, modern day ODIs don't offer batsmen that challenge, so yeah, basically it's a different game and he can't be compared at all to openers of the '80s and '90s.

trundler

Take away Rohit's rocket launcher and we'll see. I'll say the same about Guptill. Admittedly, he far exceeds all his contemporaries except Warner so he really is awesome at what he does.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get back to me when Rohit hits a double in a WC KO game

Guptill is still the king of modern biffing for me

trundler

Rohit has 2 more doubles though.

I've never been a fan of Gayle either. Biffing just takes the joy out of batting for me. I respect just how good these guys are though.

vcs

Rohit's good at biffing, but he's not a one-dimensional biffer. He has technical flaws, yes.

Burner

International Regular

Agreed. Gilchrist as an ODI bat is severely over-rated on CW. At least I haven't seen too much of Jaya's name mentioned other than on this thread.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its hard to say for sure given how much ODIs have evolved but I am still gonna keep Greenidge second. Rohit after another 4 years of similar performances may well be up there though.