• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Rohit Sharma the second best ODI opener of all time?

Teja.

Global Moderator
After SRT?

My answer five years ago would be Mark Waugh with Gilchrist, Anwar, Ganguly etc. in contention but the case for Rohit is becoming undeniable.

Rohit now averages 59 with a SR of 91 as an opener in ODIs which is just nuts.

Amla who has also played in this era averages 49 with a SR of 88 to be fair but a difference of 10 runs in average is still big league.

I don’t watch much LO cricket and I’m largely going by stats here so happy to be corrected.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jayasuriya still 2nd imo.

Rohit maybe 3rd now. But he's got stiff competition, not only from Gilly, but Warner as well.

Last edited:

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
59 at 91 over a span of 6 years is brilliant. I don't think he is as good as Waugh or Anwar but I'd say he is better than Amla, Ganguly.
IMO Warner is the best opener of this era.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
He is certainly the second best indian opener of all time. In my all time indian team, he would open with Sachin. If I want to somehow bring Sehwag into this team (love him so much for his attacking batting), I would bat Sachin at 4.

There are plenty of openers in debate for the second best opener of all time. Waugh, Gilly, Anwar etc. Rohit is certainly in discussion now.

mr_mister

Was surprised his average as an opener was 10 runs higher than his career average, he spent quite a while in the middle order didn't he

But yeah during this cup him scoring big seems like a certainty everytime he walks out to bat

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's certainly doing his reputation no harm this WC. A double in the SF would be sweet.

He is certainly the second best indian opener of all time. In my all time indian team, he would open with Sachin. If I want to somehow bring Sehwag into this team (love him so much for his attacking batting), I would bat Sachin at 4.

There are plenty of openers in debate for the second best opener of all time. Waugh, Gilly, Anwar etc. Rohit is certainly in discussion now.
Tendulkar is basically Sehwag's attacking ability+ solidity and consistency. You dont need Viru at all in an AT Indian XI.

Last edited:

stephen

Stats for batsmen are getting more and more meaningless in ODI cricket. The bat is definitely more powerful than the ball right now.

Having said that, you don't put up numbers like Rohit has without being an ATG player.

To tell you the truth his game is extremely well suited to this era where batsmen give themselves time to play themselves in during the first 20 overs.

vcs

His stats as opener are pretty damn impressive TBH. His average must be approaching 50 even though he had an absolute horror run in 2012, and was very mediocre/inconsistent between 2008 (when he debuted) upto Champions Trophy 2013, which is when he was promoted to open IIRC. Was always in and out of the team upto that point.

vcs

His stats as opener are pretty damn impressive TBH. His average must be approaching 50 even though he had an absolute horror run in 2012, and was very mediocre/inconsistent between 2008 (when he debuted) upto Champions Trophy 2013, which is when he was promoted to open IIRC. Was always in and out of the team upto that point.
I meant his overall career average, his stats as opener alone must be approaching roughly 60@90.

OverratedSanity

Unlike tests, odis have changed too much in very a short span of time making it too difficult to compare stats across eras. Everyone's putting up ludicrous numbers.

vcs

Unlike tests, odis have changed too much in very a short span of time making it too difficult to compare stats across eras. Everyone's putting up ludicrous numbers.
It is hard to meaningfully compare him with players from the '80s and '90s as the absolute numbers that players put up these days are ludicrous, however, like Kohli, Sharma is also comfortably outperforming his peers from the same era (guys like Guptill, Dhawan, Warner etc.) so he is definitely in the conversation.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rohit has the best average as opener for anyone with 2000+ runs. Holy ****.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

He has an average over 9 runs higher than the second best person on the list of all batsman who have scored 6000+ runs as an opener.

The same holds true even if filter for 2000+ runs.

His average is literally 50% (20 runs) better than Waugh/Ganguly/Anwar/Gilchrist over a large sample size. Even accounting for era differences I don’t think the number of runs per innings in this era have increased anywhere close to 50%.

He also averages 10-15 runs more than any of the other openers of his era and st least has a comparable if not higher SR. This is over a huge sample size of 6000+ runs and none of the other contenders in this era have a massive sample size differential which makes average non-comparable.

His death grip over opening in this era seems to be similar to SRT’s from 93-2000.

I think his exploits are sort of overshadowed by Kohli being better than him during the same period.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Warner is probably better than him though. Because he scores faster initially, so it hurts less if he gets out for a 30-40.