• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is KP an ATG Test Batsman?

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
With all the KP soap dramas, and now that there's no guarantee he will play another Test. Purely in terms of his batting career, would Pietersen go down as an ATG Test batsman? I am sitting on the fence on this one. As an entertainer, definitely. As a run scorer, possibly.

FTR this is what Statsguru has his stats at, excluding Bangladesh and Zimbabwe:

M I No Runs HS Ave SR 100 50
84 144 6 6734 227 48.79 62.78 21 24

Let war declared be...:ph34r:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
With all the KP soap dramas, and now that there's no guarantee he will play another Test. Purely in terms of his batting career, would Pietersen go down as an ATG Test batsman? I am sitting on the fence on this one. As an entertainer, definitely. As a run scorer, possibly.

FTR this is what Statsguru has his stats at, excluding Bangladesh and Zimbabwe:

M I No Runs HS Ave SR 100 50
84 144 6 6734 227 48.79 62.78 21 24

Let war declared be...:ph34r:
If the definition of ATG is near automatic selection in your nation's all time best XI, he's kind of almost an ATG.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
For me he is, the skill the swagger and yes the arrogance. He made Cricinfo's England's AT XI a couple years ago and he has only got better. Definate yes for me.

benjy

Cricket Spectator
KP is a talented cricketer, who can score runs for fun, and at the rate of knots, but his temperament at the crease and attitude off the field makes me question whether he is an ATG.

Xuhaib

International Coach
No.

He would struggle to make the current World XI

Kallis, Sanga, Clarke surely ahead of him might squeeze in at the 6th spot.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
No. Has played some great innings, but I'd pick David Gower, for instance, ahead of him. And I'm pretty sure DG isn't considered ATG.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
nope, no

most of the cases he has come to rescue of England and has been shown to be so good only because rest batted like ****s most of the time

So, no.

watson

Banned
Probably would go close if he had a "full" career but if it actually does end now then no, IMO.
What do you mean by "full"?

Isn't 88 Test matches a pretty "full" career and numerous enough to make a proper judgement on his cricketing ability and impact on Test match cricket?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator

Isn't 88 Test matches a pretty "full" career and numerous enough to make a proper judgement on his cricketing ability and impact on Test match cricket?
Not really, no, especially when he's in the sort of form he's in now. Raw test numbers can be misleading.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I'm definitely in danger of having the same conversation I've had 1,000 times on here now and I don't want to Richard the forum so I won't go into beyond this post, but for me there's a difference between inadequate sample size and comparatively weak longevity.

He's definitely played long enough for us to form an opinion on his ability as such, but I don't judge greatness based purely on ability. If he played longer his career would've had more value and he would've been a greater player in my eyes as a result. A batsman who plays for 12 years averaging 46 is worth more to a side than one who plays for 7 years averaging 50, all other things equal.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree with uvelocity, he's an ATG for us but probably not on a grander scale.

But for all the bull**** of the last three years I reckon he could have done a lot more, alas he brought the bulk of it on himself.

watson

Banned
I'm definitely in danger of having the same conversation I've had 1,000 times on here now and I don't want to Richard the forum so I won't go into beyond this post, but for me there's a difference between inadequate sample size and comparatively weak longevity.

He's definitely played long enough for us to form an opinion on his ability as such, but I don't judge greatness based purely on ability. If he played longer his career would've had more value and he would've been a greater player in my eyes as a result. A batsman who plays for 12 years averaging 46 is worth more to a side than one who plays for 7 years averaging 50, all other things equal.
OK fair enough. It does make intuitive sense that it is easier to call someone an ATG if they have played for a decade or more.

'Greater than 10 years playing time' is not a definition that we can rely on, but it sure helps make a determination in the affirmative.