• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jos Buttler England's best limited-overs player ever?

is he?

• Total voters

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At one point on SKY commentary, I think it was Nasser or Atherton saying that Jonny Bairstow was England’s greatest white ball player…when did this change to Jos Buttler?

Flem274*

123/5
Flintoff imo.

On the batting side, Joe Root for raw blunt output, but Buttler is by far and away England's best at the role they select him for, and probably #2 batsman to Root. Will admit to valuing 50 over cricket much higher in white ball chats though.
I love Marcus, but nah. In the end didn't produce in the big Tournaments, average of 23 in 2 World Cups, and the strike-rate not close, different era and all that, but not for me, as much as it pains me to say.
Hmm hand on heart, I think he's still England's best ODI opener by a reasonable distance with Bairstow and Knight competing for second and Roy in 4th. I just can't say with a straight face Tresco isn't England's best option to face the best attacks.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff imo.

On the batting side, Joe Root for raw blunt output, but Buttler is by far and away England's best at the role they select him for, and probably #2 batsman to Root. Will admit to valuing 50 over cricket much higher in white ball chats though.

Hmm hand on heart, I think he's still England's best ODI opener by a reasonable distance with Bairstow and Knight competing for second and Roy in 4th. I just can't say with a straight face Tresco isn't England's best option to face the best attacks.
I think an opening partnership of Tres and Buttler at their best would be pretty devastating, and importantly super-fun to wath.

TheJediBrah

Wouldn't open with Buttler in ODI IMO he's too valuable in the middle-order and too vulnerable to a wicket doing a bit for the new ball against top-class bowling.

Modern English ODI wickets though for sure send Buttler in whenever

flibbertyjibber

Wouldn't open with Buttler in ODI IMO he's too valuable in the middle-order and too vulnerable to a wicket doing a bit for the new ball against top-class bowling.

Modern English ODI wickets though for sure send Buttler in whenever
Why change it up in ODIs? Roy and Bairstow have been brilliant and are our best ever opening pair.

I can see why he is opening in T20 but again did they really need to split up Roy and Bairstow? Buttler could easily have moved to 3.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Why change it up in ODIs? Roy and Bairstow have been brilliant and are our best ever opening pair.

I can see why he is opening in T20 but again did they really need to split up Roy and Bairstow? Buttler could easily have moved to 3.
bairstow is utterly exceptional v wrist spin in white ball cricket so moving him to #4 and buttler englands best bat to open and therefore maximise his output is in absolute no brainer.

TheJediBrah

Yeah look in modern times Buttler opening is fine but if we're going back to Tresco's era I don't think he would be as suited but maybe I could be wrong.

morgieb

I think so. Only one I think about is Flintoff. Root/Bairstow are great but far less unique.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
root not being stand out is a bit of a nonsense as well.

he hasn't retired, yet he's one of only 5 batsman who've played 150+ odi games with a +50 average.

root is an absolute odi freak and actually gets discounted a bit i think because he is english and also because of the lineup he plays along side.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
root not being stand out is a bit of a nonsense as well.

he hasn't retired, yet he's one of only 5 batsman who've played 150+ odi games with a +50 average.

root is an absolute odi freak and actually gets discounted a bit i think because he is english and also because of the lineup he plays along side.
I think I mentioned him, as the great for us in 50 overs, but in both forms think Jos edges it, but yeah root is our 50 over god by miles.

Gob

International Coach
Trescothick
Bairstow
KP
Root
Stokes
Morgan
Butler
Botham
Flintoff
Swann
Gough

Lamb unlucky

flibbertyjibber

Trescothick
Bairstow
KP
Root
Stokes
Morgan
Butler
Botham
Flintoff
Swann
Gough

Lamb unlucky
Fairbrother and Hick unlucky too. For many years they would have been certainties for the side as would Stewart. Could go for Rashid over Swann I guess.

TheJediBrah

A couple of better bowlers to replace Swann and Gough and it would stack up not too badly with other countries ATG sides tbh, which is not something you could have said 5 years ago

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Trescothick
Bairstow
KP
Root
Stokes
Morgan
Butler
Botham
Flintoff
Swann
Gough

Lamb unlucky
Feels a bit off balance tbh. Stokes is a mediocre ODI bowler and wouldn't be a 5th bowler in the current England side, not to mention an ATG side. Drop one of the batsmen for a bowler (could even pick woakes to ensure batting isn't massively compromised.) And move everyone up one slot.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
I
It was my nostalgic post. I love him a lot and the way he used to play.

He’s no Carl Hooper, but I feel the same way about him as Hooper.
I used to love the way he batted, once in India when he opened in a bilateral series he seemed second to none not even Tendulkar, I wonder if he had more games to play on subcontinent pitches he would have his average right up there with the other greats, his career was also cut short abruptly from his psychological demons I guess perhaps he was still peaking as a bat.